Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Finding Your Voice Deux

Bonsoir! Everyone

I started to say good evening to everyone in the class of ’63, but I know we have readers from the class of ’64, too – Hi Arlyna and Lynn! We love all of you who have chosen to drop by and spend a little time with us. I hope you have put our URL in your favorites list so you won’t forget us. This is going to be my last post for a while, and NO, I am not leaving. I am going to continue to be the administrator for our webspot. I have had a great time setting up the blog, posting and contacting as many of our classmates as I have been able to, but now I think it is time to stop “talking” and get out of the way so the rest of you can have a turn. I was told when I started the CHS blog that getting a blog "going" takes patience and I have plenty of that, I just want to give more of you a chance to have a voice on this site.

I will share a bit about myself before I give it up. While I was in school, I utterly hated having to stand up in front of the class and recite the poems we had memorized. The days I had to do that nearly made me ill! I even hated raising my hand or being called on to say anything. I didn’t begin to move past that horrible feeling until much, much later in life. I absolutely love technology and the ability it gives us to communicate anywhere, anytime without having to stand up in front of an audience. Whereas I don’t like the phone, I do adore email and now I am gaining a huge appreciation for being able to express myself as a blogger. I tell you this “secret” about myself in hopes that it will convince each of you that you too have the ability to express yourself in sharing favorite memories or thoughts with everyone. No one expects each comment to be a work of art, but I do believe that we all have something to share and that is important. I think it would be fabulous if you would at least go to the post “Where in the World is ....the class of ’63” and tell all of us a bit about yourself today—something about your family or your life so we can imagine you where you are today. Send me a photo by email if you like. The most responses that we have had so far comes in the form of comments about your favorite memories so that seems to be a real topic of interest. If you are dying to share an old memory we would be delighted.

Remember, if you are able to send an email, you can write a comment. Comments are just parts of a conversation and it is just that easy.

Finally, as I have said before, Jennifer has been wonderful to share with us. I, along with you have loved reading her posts and comments. I know she has more to share with us and I look forward to it! By the way all French words are for Jennifer and Friends who are practicing French for a trip to Paris!

au revoir!

Nicki

1 comment:

Jennifer Johnston said...

Merci, mon ami Nicki for the kind thoughts and the French language refresher!

I've got to say ... I'm beginning to wonder if more memorials are in order? Is the Class of '63 mostly mort ... or merely moribund? Are you, Jim, Clara and I the only ones left? I know Betty Smith Merritt left a comment to the first post ... and Joe Don sent a picture of James Claude Holton ... and Mike Spradley left a comment promising to comment ... but perhaps none of them was feeling well at the time.... Is an a cappella chorus or two of "Amazing Grace" in order? A side of calla lilies? We've even heard from Tom Higley (CHS 1956) and Lynn (CHS 1964) ... but where in the world indeed is the Class of '63? Requiescat in pace? Our class??? Hardly, I would have thought. And yet, we wait to hear other voices, from other rooms ....