Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Friday, February 15, 2008

Blast From the Past: Westerns ... "Star Trek" ... and "As You Like It" ....

Victory Dance by Frederick Remington
Victory Dance, painting by Frederic Remington

In September 1961, the start of my Junior year at CHS, I signed up for Journalism (an elective) under the aegis of our blog friend and periodic contributor Darryl Morris (also our Junior English teacher), who was then a new teacher at CHS. I was absolutely thrilled (really and truly, beyond my hopes or expectations) when Darryl named me Feature Editor of The Corral, our student newspaper, that year. (Them that don't expects, don't get disappointed ... an expression which might have flunked me in Darryl's English class.)

Not too long into the semester, Darryl brought me a couple of columns, "On Campus", written by the great Max Shulman, the creator of Dobie Gillis (who had many loves) and fabulous characters such as Maynard G. Krebs ...
WORK?!?! (Contrary to rumor, Glen "Teedle" Sanders did NOT take, or at least keep, Maynard G. Krebs as a role model....) Darryl asked me if I thought I could write something like Shulman's work. I read the columns, loved them, and dutifully told Darryl that I would do my best.

So began almost two years of writing my "humor" column (at least I hoped it was humorous) "As You Like It" ... a title filched from the great William Shakespeare ... who as noted in my comment to Linda Kay under my blogpost "Valentine's Day ... Words of Love ... and "The Butterfly Lovers"... (published February 12, 2008), was not terribly reticent when filching from others. Hey ... at least with Shulman and Shakespeare, I figured I was in
great company. (grin) As my darling Yahn says, only steal from the best....

Writing "As You Like It" ... trying to come up with a "new" topic every week ... and then trying to turn the topic into something which might cause at least a few to "grin" while reading (kinda like writing for the blog) ... became my best experience in high school. I must admit (LK and Sheila) that band did run a close second, but of course the "solitary" act of writing didn't have anywhere near the camaraderie we enjoyed on the band bus, despite my lifelong habit of talking to myself ... out loud ... as myself and in another persona.... (See Linda Kay's topic post: "Friday Night Lights: The Sound ... and the Flurries...?", published January 27, 2008.) Writing became a true passion for me ... when it was not total terror as I looked at a blank page and contemplated the full weight of the meaning of "DEADline" ... which would also come to play a HUGE role in my career as a paralegal.... But I digress....

Toward the end of that school year, I was approached by Carol Higley, who with her husband Morris owned and published The Childress Index. Carol asked me if I would like to work during the summer for what was then the "daily" Index, and learn some things about actually working and writing for a real newspaper. (I still do a mean wedding and obit.) Carol and Morris also wanted me to continue to write "As You Like It" once a week. Oh boy!!!! Would I like to??? How much would I have to pay THEM to attain this halcyon dream??? I almost fell off my chair when Carol said they would PAY ME!!!! O brave new world ("borrowing" again)....

Carol even ran a little notice in the Index the day I started: "Jennifer Johnston, popular [me???] columnist for The Corral, Childress High School publication, has joined the staff of The Index for the summer. Among her duties will be to write her column "As You Like It".... It is written especially for young people. But we think adults will enjoy it, too. Miss Johnston will be a Senior in the Childress High School this Fall." Summer 1962 ... 3M summer ... Maris and Mantle and Marilyn.... I had my first "real" job, making the goddessly sum of $50 per week ... which really wasn't all that bad in those days. The Higleys (particularly Carol) were very generous to me in many ways, and I will always think of them with love. And, in my Senior year at CHS, I did realize my dream of becoming Editor-in-Chief of The Corral.

In going through some things recently, I found some of my old columns, and thought you might like to reread them. (I am of course assuming you all waited breathlessly each and every week for a new one, way back when, and therefore this will be a reread ... grin). So, launching another ongoing blog series like "Bobcat Treasure" and "The Times of Our Lives", Nicki and I thought it might be fun to share with you my somewhat jejune scribblings from that time ... teenaged angst to the max, sturm und drang, warts (NEVER!) and all.

Journalistic integrity (there is still
some left) requires that I recreate the columns here, exactly as I wrote them, and as they were printed (sans typographical errors, of course ... I hope). I have successfully resisted the temptation to edit, rewrite and edit some more ... to tinker, or tweak, or think "Well, this could be better if I substituted...." Every cringe-worthy attempt at turning a phrase remains intact. Please be kind in judging these columns, dear readers ... I plead youth and idiocy (redundant, I fear).

The first column I've decided to publish here (by special request of our friend Mike Spradley, who assures us he will reappear on the blog soon) is the one about Westerns ... specifically television series Westerns ... not getting into the old cinema classic Westerns like Red River, The Searchers and Rio Bravo. You remember them ... we cut our figurative teeth on Roy Rogers' television show, and Davy Crockett with Fess Parker ... and the TV stalwarts Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, The Lone Ranger (featuring a Native American sidekick, "faithful Indian companion Tonto", played by Jay Silverheels), Zorro (featuring a "Latin" hero played by Guy Williams), Have Gun Will Travel (featuring a mustache attached to Richard Boone), Rawhide (before Clint Eastwood became "the man with no name" in a sub-genre, the "spaghetti" Western, with the "rollin' rollin' rollin'" title song done by Frankie Layne), and so many others.

What a good many of us lacked the maturity to recognize then was that the
good TV Westerns arguably reflected our society at the time in microcosm, particularly some of the less than sterling aspects of it (racism, sexism, McCarthyism, etc.). Each week our favorite series presented a morality tale within the boundaries of a half hour or one hour format, giving us not only the stoic, upright heroes who populated them as role models, but food for thought as our nation morphed from one national mindset into something more diverse and sometimes darker in the 1960s. Those old TV Westerns also inarguably influenced popular entertainment in the late 1960s, and beyond. Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the wildly popular (and long-lived) Star Trek series, said that Star Trek (Kirk, Spock and company) was actually conceived to be Wagon Train in outer space. Many of the plots of the TV Westerns, like many plots today, were derivative (not to say filched) of others, so anyone who was paying attention (and watched a lot of television) could not help but be aware of the similarities in many of the plot lines. But again I digress....

So, without further ado (or "much ado about nothing" ... groan) I give you "As You Like It" ... this one written in the summer of 1962 (sometime after Newton Minow's description of television as a "vast wasteland", referring specifically to the increasingly violent Western ouevre) ... when I was 15 years old. If you hate it ... or the things I've written for the blog ... you can blame Morris and Carol Higley and Darryl Morris (there's a certain symmetry in those names) ... they actually
encouraged me....


Eric Fleming as Gil Favor and Clint Eastwood as "Rowdy" Yates, in Rawhide


As You Like It
by Jennifer Johnsto
n

To get to the point, my topic for today is television. You know -- that little box that sits in your living room or den -- around which the family gathers every evening, never to be moved. More specifically, the topic is television programs, which will be fully discussed in various articles over the next two or three weeks.

Let's start with Westerns. There are Westerns on every channel, every evening. Now I'm not against Westerns. I just wonder why they all have the same major plot. You know, it all goes something like -- First, we have the stolid older hero; then we have two or three younger heroes. Now these heroes meet up with a kid -- a victim of society, naturally. Everybody's a victim of society these days. Well, it seems that the kid's dear daddy was hanged for being a horse thief. Now everybody else knows that Popsie WAS a horse thief, except for the kid and Momsie. So all these years, Momsie has told her dear sonny-boy that Popsie was a victim of society -- see what I mean? And what is more, the stolid, upright, narrow-minded townspeople won't let Kiddio forget his old man was a horse thief.

So naturally the kid hates the world. And naturally he becomes a gunslinger. And naturally he decides that he's going to rub out the Judge that sentenced dear old Dad.

Now we meet the Judge. As you've already figured out, the Judge is a sweet, lovable old man who thinks of duty first. He CAN'T be a hanging judge because then the audience would understand the kid they're not supposed to understand. So the kid gets a job working for the heroes so he can study the Judge, who naturally is a good friend of the heroes.

However, living among such sweetness and light, the kid decides he's been wrong about the Judge, so he takes a full bullet chamber home to Momsie. Now of course the audience becomes aware of the fact that Momsie is a war-monger -- more specifically, a nut for killing. More specifically, a plain, everyday, tutti-frutti NUT. However, the audience feels sorry for her because they know that she knows her husband WAS a horse thief, and is just a victim of society herself. Anyhow, when "dear boy" comes back empty-Judged, she raises the thatch. She browbeats the kid so much that he heads for town, bent on wiping out the Judge.

Somehow, the heroes hear about this and try to head him off. Of course they never find him until he's right in front of the Judge's house screaming for the Judge to "come out and die like a man!" So the heroes give him the old spiel about "You can't do this." So he decides to wipe out the heroes first.

Now of course the heroes don't draw because they have faith in the kid's better nature. (They also have faith in the fact that they have a two-year contract with the studio.) So, as the kid takes careful aim, a shot rings out -- or rather, a blast crashes through the quiet streets -- the kid bites the gravel, and the heroes wheel around to see Momsie holding a smoking shotgun. She has finally come to her senses and "just couldn't let him do it." Well, then she runs over to the kid, who looks like a sieve. The kid naturally lives long enough for her to tell him that his Dad WAS a horse thief, that she has been wrong, that it was her fault, and that she was sorry. Then the kid tells Momsie it's all right, thanks the heroes for trying to help him, coughs a little and dies, as Momsie goes into hysterics and is gently led away by the heroes.

I don't care if the kid gets shot between the eyes -- he lives long enough to play a good old dramatic-type scene every time.

So, to use an old phrase, tune in for our next episode, all about crime in the big city, brought to you by ME -- who else? Snarf.

)O(

My Photo

16 comments:

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

I am so excited about the "As You Like It" columns that you are going to be sharing with us! To me they are the perfect fit for our blog as we reflect on the way we were. The fact that you wrote them when we were all teens and suffering much the same teen angst of which you have spoken, will return many of us to that time when we viewed the world with a combination of naivte and cynicism.

I love that you are going to resist the urge to change any aspect of the original columns in any way. I want to remember just the way it was at that moment. I mean would adult Jennifer ever end her columns with "snarf"????? I'll bet we loved it as teens.

Thank you for being a pack rat! I look forward to reading more!

Going to see the movie "Bucket List" $5.50 (matinee)

A season pass to go to the WTAMU Lady Buffs play basketball. $50

Reading "As You Like It" columns in 2008 which were written in 1962-63 priceless

Anonymous said...

Hey Yahn, Good to hear from you and learn more about your journey through life or should I say journeys through multiple lives. That's a joke. no offense.

After 43 years in the ministry, I'm still amazed at the people I meet who have pursued other religious experiences because of bible thumping, rules, regulations,and my way or the highway type of church. I would more than likely be somewhere in the middle of your beliefs and mine if it were not for the fact I've chosen to approach God relationally rather than religiously.

Because we are created to be spiritual beings, there must be that connection to something beyond us. Unfortunately, the religious systems have preached against the very things God put in our DNA. Art, music, drama, poetry, creativity, what we eat and drink, clothes we wear, styles of hair, etc. As I said in one of my letters, God gets a bum rap because of man's attempt to make Him into their own image.

I guess I'm where I am because of my experience of meeting the Jesus and God of the bible rather than the one portrayed to me growing up. I must be quick to say, I grew up in a wonderful family, with wonderful parents who walked in the light they had. They gave me the greatest inheritance that one could receive,i.e.: integrity. honor, Godly character, work ethics, a love and devotion for each other. unconditional love for me, and room to fail.

I know these qualities are in all of us because, another one of my beliefs, we are not born inherently evil or bad. When God made man, His crowning creation, He said we were very good! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to connecting with you guys soon. If you're retired, time on your hands, head southeast from Vegas and you'll run into Safford.

By the way, your art is wonderful! I must give you a poem on reincarnation that I use when talking about identity from the pulpit. It's by Wally McRae.

********

What does reincarnation mean?....A cowpoke asked his friend....His pal replied,...."It happens when yer life has reached it end....They comb yer hair and warsh yer neck, and clean yer fingernails,...And lay you in a padded box....Away from life's travails......The box and you goes in a hole,...that's been dug in the ground... Reincarnation starts in when yore planted 'neath a mound....Them clods melt down, just like yer box, and you who is inside....And then yore just beginning on yer transformation ride.....In awhile, the grass'll grow upon that rendered mound, Till someday on yer moldered grave...A lonely flower is found.....And say by chance a hoss should wander by, ...And graze upon this flower....That was once was you,.....But now's become yer vegetative bower......The posey that the hoss done ate up, with his other feed.......Makes bone,and fat, and muscle..... Essential to the steed.....But some is left that he can't use....And passes through.... And finally lays upon the ground....This thing that once was you......Then say by chance I wanders by,....And sees this on the ground,...... I ponders and I wanders at this object that I found,.....And I think of reincarnation....Of life, and death, and such,....I come away concludin,.....Hell, Bob,...you ain't changed all that much!"

*******

A man with an argument is always at a disadvantage to the man with experience." God said,"come now, let us reason together. "The one thing that will keep a person in darkness and bondage is contempt prior to investigation. I wish I could take credit for that statement. It's profound!

Hey, BE BLESSED today!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, It's o.k. to be nuts,(insane), just as long you are screwed onto the right bolt.

Anonymous said...

I did love it! Takes me back. Will look fwd to others. BTW, at the time you were writing "As You Like It" (in high school), "snarf" was my favorite word!!!

Both arms stove up now. One in splint, one in little strap/brace. Woe is me!

Also loved Tutor’s comment. He should be a keynote speaker at our reunion. Lots of “cowboy” wisdom there, and a refreshing breath of unpretentiousness.

Abby and Wayne celebrating birthdays together today. Went shopping for Hannah Montana stuff and ice cream, breakfast at McD. Going to see “Enchanted” later and dinner at El Fenix. I’ll do my left-handed best with the tamales!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it is legal to put address and phone# on the blog but here is my cell# 928-965-1999. Of course, my address is newlife2@aznex.net Thanks! Mzungu( the white guy) another title.

Anonymous said...

Phil, they used to tell me that teaching was the ideal profession for me. I loved the sound of my own voice, I could talk for as long as I wanted, and students had to ask permission to interrupt me.

They weren't far wrong as anyone who's ever spent much time around me will verify, but I truly hate arguing with people. I truly am interested in others' points of view, with very few exceptions, even if they are diametrically opposed to my own. I enjoy learning from others. Just please don't make it your life's work to convert me to your point of view or insult me for my views (not that you or anyone else on this blog ever has). In return I'll sincerely try to return the favor. Lots of people don't seem to understand the difference. Sometimes I'm better at this than others, admittedly, but I do try. We disagree ... so what? When and if that last trumpet riff blows, will our views really have made any difference? I'll gamble on this one.

One of our most enjoyable travel experiences happened years ago during our first trip to Egypt. We had an excellent guide named Aki (Akram Allam). Especially in those days, it was recommended that your first excursion into the Middle East should be a guided tour. Aki, Jennifer and I really hit it off immediately, partly I believe, because I had a pretty good grounding in ancient Egyptian history and religious beliefs. Jennifer in turn was very knowledgeable about modern Middle Eastern history.

One particular afternoon after sightseeing with a group of twenty or so extremely judgmental people from "New Joisey" (sorry about that, but boy they disapproved of Jennifer and me) we returned to Cairo. I'm sure part of the reason they disliked us so much may have been an incident at Abu Simbel. We were listening to another tour group's guide explain the similarities between the Christian Trinity, in this case Joseph, Mary, and Jesus, and the ancient Egyptian Trinity of Osiris, Isis, and Horus. Ever the smart aleck (not my first choice of words), in my best stage whisper, I said to Jennifer, "It's sort of like 'Ankh if you love Jesus'." I thought I was just being funny, but lots of those fine folks never spoke to either one of us again for the rest of the tour. But I digress...

After sightseeing we returned to our hotel in Cairo and I approached Aki, telling him how much we were enjoying his conversation. I then proposed that after we took a few minutes to splash a little cold water on our faces, he join us in the cocktail lounge to continue our conversation. Aki was very pleased with that idea. I then rushed in with my Western assumptions (we all know what happens when we assume) to assure him that of course, we would be happy to buy him a fruit juice or something non-alcoholic as we knew he was Muslim.

He smiled broadly back at me and said, "I believe that in your country you have something called a 'Sunday Baptist'. Well, I'm sort of a 'Sunday Muslim'. I went to school in the U.S. and Europe. At the end of a long day, I enjoy relaxing over a couple of good scotch and waters." Then he added, "I would never drink in front of my father or even a very conservative Muslim, but I would be happy to join you in the cocktail lounge."

All these years later and except for the day I was offered five camels and a small herd of goats for Jennifer, these are still some of my fondest memories of Egypt.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Yahn,

I never fail to be totally entertained by the stories that you and Jennifer share about your journeys and you have not failed me this time. Jim's cousin, Arlyna, and her husband travel quite a bit and I have noticed that you guys and she have a commanality that has to make your trips more special and educational, not to mention enjoyable. All of you seem to have a remarkable ability to relate to the people you meet and to engage them in conversation which leads to the best stories. For this I envy you!

I share with you a lack of enjoyment in arguing with people.
I have always believed that everyone has a right to his or her beliefs and opinions and when that belief or opinion is strongly steeped in emotion and tradition there is no point in engaging in a heated argument that all to often leads to a wider gap between both parties. So if anyone is lookin for a fight, ya won't get it from me. As you said there are exceptions to every rule. I also believe that only when we listen to each other do we find a middle ground for friendship and respect.

As always, thanks for sharing

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, the first paragraph of your comment, where you talk about returning many of us to our adolescent mindset, just automatically tripped the memory switch, and I heard clearly in my mind a firm, resonant, deep voice (actually, William Conrad), intoning: "Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear.... The Lone Ranger rides again!" Oh wow!!! Talk about a blast from the past sneaking up and whacking you over the head!!!

And thank you for affirming my decision (difficult, but nonetheless correct I think) not to tamper with the columns. I agree with you that a major interest in (re)running these columns "as is" (or as were ... grin) is to actually hear the teenaged voice and viewpoint, OUR place in that time, speaking to us today as the people we have become since CHS.

Your "priceless" is good ... I like it!!!! ... and I also thank you for that analogy.

Also, thank you SO MUCH for thanking me for being a pack rat!!! I can assure you that's a first!!!

I should warn you about encouraging Yahn and I to talk about travel.... Oooops! I fear it may be too late already.... I'd love to swap stories with Arlyna ... or for her to share some of her adventures on the blog. Yahn and I have always made a point of trying to engage "real people" when we've traveled. It makes the whole experience so much richer. That's why, except for the first trip to Egypt, we've never signed up for a "group" tour. Just not our style ... and then there are those judgmental people from "Joisey" and elsewhere....

Free and open ... and tolerant ... exchange of ideas ... GOOD!!! Argument, intractability and proselytizing ... BAD!!! Amen....

********

Phil, our recent telephone conversations and e-mails (and those between you and Yahn) just get better and better. We too are looking forward to "connecting" again in person ... with luck and your schedule permitting, I am hopeful that it will be before the Las Vegas reunion.

Speaking of which ... thank you for confirming that you and Winnie are planning on attending. We've added your names to the sidestrip of attendees on the reunion blog, and hope to be adding others soon.

Loved the poem by Wally McRae ... yes, it is good to remember and contemplate where we came from ... and where we may be headed!!! (grin)

And thanks for reminding me of the importance of "nuts" and "bolts". Although I must say (particularly after Nicki's "first" about the pack rat) ... if you're going to speculate about my sanity, you're going to have to get in a verrrrry looooog line and concede originality of thought.... (grin again)

As for your phone number and e-address, Nicki and I are happy to put it on the blog ... and speaking as a former paralegal, I don't think there's anything illegal about it. Now if Nicki and I suddenly disappear without a trace ... send lawyers to Guantanamo Bay....

********

BFF LK, so sorry you are still having trouble with your appendages, but so good to hear from you, as always. Celebrating granddaughter Abby's and hubby Wayne's birthdays together sounds festive and I hope all of you had a lovely day.

Hannah Montana ... today's Annette Funicello??? Just a thought....

And BTW, dear ... about those tamales ... you've got this HUGE spot just there.... It's okay ... I can't do anything left-handed ... some would say even right-handed.... But I did find years ago that I can type with my right arm in a cast....

One month from today ... off to Paris and London with you and Raenell and JoAnn ... can hardly wait!!!!

********

Yahn darling ... as always, I love what you say, and how you say it. And I love reliving our travel experiences. As I belatedly warned Nicki, we've got LOTS more ... and I'm sure between the two of us, we'll eventually hit ALL of them. Matter of fact, I'm considering another series of posts talking in detail about our trips, and sharing some of our photos ... and hope that others will do the same. But I'll hush about it now before I scare the horses (keeping to the "Western" theme, of course)....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Your introduction was superb, as always, and the column itself was a wonderful trip back into what I think was--despite its many drawbacks that are identifiable in retrospect--a wonderful time of enthusiasm and promise.

And the nice thing about memories such as these is that they are safely locked away in the vault of memory where you can examine them any time you want, and for as long as you want, and they will not fade or perish so long as you have the key to the vault.

"As You Like It" was--and is--as I like it even today. You had an uncommon talent for amusing social criticism for one so young when you wrote that weekly column; and, judging from your other posts and comments that I've read on the blog, that talent has only grown through the years.

I'm sure your ornery little chuckle (Snarf) at the end of these columns caused some readers to scratch their heads and say, "What the--?", but it was entirely appropriate for the matter that you covered and the manner in which you covered it.

I don't know if it means anything to you nowadays, but my grade for you would still be an A. Cue Bob Hope: "Thanks for the memories... "

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR ARTICLES AND THOSE WHO HAVE COMMENTS. THEY BRING SOME OF MY SLEEPING MEMORY CELLS TO LIFE. YOU REALLY SHOULD DO AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY.I WILL BUY A SIGNED COPY!! IT IS AMAZING THAT WE TURNED OUT SEMI-NORMAL; ALL THE VIOLENCE, GUNS AND DEATH WERE JUST ENTERTAINMENT. MY GOD, MANY OF US EVEN GREW UP HUNTING WITH REAL GUNS. YOU ALLOW US TO HARVEST MANY OF THOSE FORGOTTEN; BLESSED; AND ENJOYABLE MEMORIES. THANK YOU JENNIFER!!!!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Oh my!!! (Blush ... grin ... blush)

Darryl, it is soooo wonderful to have you appear on the blog again. And as for your comment ... and compliments ... (blush ... grin ... blush)

Of course you are absolutely right in your observation that despite some of the social problems of that era (and you weren't that far ahead of us age-wise) ... there was such a joy in living, as well as enthusiasm and promise during those days. My memories of that time are vivid ... and I take complete pleasure in frequently retrieving them (and others) from the "vault" and savoring them once again. That is the true blessing of my "infernal" memory, and I am ever thankful for it. Photos and paper crumble, or are carelessly thrown away, sometimes burned ... but I (and so many of us) do have our memories ... and long may they blaze in the shadows of all our minds!!!

So glad to know that you liked "As You Like It" then ... and still do. As a writer, you know how much such a comment means ... and I cannot thank you enough.

Bob Hope ... thank you for sparking memories of that wonderful man and his theme song....

And yes ... I will ALWAYS take the "A"!!!! With gratitude....

Don't stay away so long, y'hear???

********

Roland ... (blush ... grin ... blush) You have also thrilled me with your comments. BTW, I'm holding you to that BUYING a signed copy thing ... signature gratis, of course. I thought I'd have to give them all away!!! (grin)

Knowing that I have caused you to harvest and relive your own memories is such a delight and an affirmation that I have achieved what I hoped to do when I began writing this post. Thank you again....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Jenn, since you're on the cowboy post, I am always using a quote attributed to John Wayne. "Life is tough, when you're stupid, it's tougher."

We also have a quote in our church, "If you CAN be offended, you WILL be offended." None of us have it exactly right. I'm on a journey, as we all are, and sometimes I don't even believe what I say. I do have certain core values, however, but I also believe when a person is honestly mistaken they will either change or cease to be honest.

I've come to believe that God is the God of relationship not rules and regulations. His love is unconditional. He loves me just as much on my worst day as He does on my best day. I've concluded I'm whatever a person perceives me to be. To some, I'm Mister Wonderful, to others I'm a jackass.

Perception is reality and my perception was ALL good about your comments and responses to me. I will tell you this, I would have bet my life that I knew you had been raised in a narrow religious system. It's interesting that many of the 1%'r bike dudes believe in God but hate church. Most of them were raised in strict religious systems that base their beliefs on right and wrong rather than on life and death. I choose to pursue life and that which produces life. If I had my kids to raise over again, I wouldn't spend so much time teaching them right and wrong but rather that which produces life.

I've gone back thru our e-mails and anything you want to pull out and use on the blog, feel free. I trust your judgment. My reputation is so shot, any misquotes, things taken out of context or the like won't matter. It is obvious you know your stuff. Now I'll need to spend two days in sackcloth and ashes repenting for being envious, or maybe I'll just burn candles. I get so confused with all the ways man thinks about repentance. Maybe just "I'm sorry" will work with God! Of course that takes me out of the equation and hurts my ego. Hey Jenn, this blog stuff is fuuuuun!

By the way, I think if Jesus walked the earth today, He'd ride a Harley, be a Dallas Cowboy fan, hang out with the same type people He did 2000 years ago and continually "PO" the religious crowd. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it, unless I'm proven wrong. Be Blessed today! Phil or whatever I am to you. God is good!!!

Jennifer Johnston said...

(Grin ... blush ... grin ... again.... If I blush much more, I'm going to set off the heat detectors....)

Phil, thank you for your comment complimenting my knowing my "stuff". Heaven (no pun intended) knows I try. As for "repentance", I've always found sackcloth and ashes extremely uncomfortable ... not to mention distinctly NOT fashion forward ... so please forgo same on my account at least. But candles are always good, if you feel the need for some gesture.... (grin)

Can't agree more with your idea that none of us has it exactly right. Yahn and I also believe we are all on a journey through this life ... and probably many other lives ... but that is just what we think, after many years of studying and contemplating the world's great religions ... and figuring out what "resonates" with us. I like to think that my mind is still evolving and processing ... so it is entirely possible that in two years ... or in two weeks ... something might happen to "adjust" my thinking ... and if/when it does, I am prepared to make the adjustment, as I think anyone who aspires to "enlightenment" must.

As for perception, and your Mr. Wonderful-jackass analogy ... yes, perception is soooo important, which is one reason I try so hard (sometimes so hard that it only leads to confusion) to make sure that what I say on the blog (or anywhere else) is not misconstrued or misunderstood. But you are certainly right ... those who are predisposed to be offended by something WILL BE offended, no matter what is said.

As a paralegal for 25 years or so, I am always cognizant of the precise meanings of words. In law, the use of the wrong word can totally tank your case or argument. For example, in legal documents or oral argument, there is a HUGE difference ... sometimes a fatal difference ... between the meanings of the words MAY and SHALL and CAN and WILL (not talking about the "Last Will and Testament" variety here).

Yes, the blog is "fuuuun" ... and all of us are so glad to have your comments and thoughts. As I've said before ... I like your idea of God (or the universe) being GOOD, rather than retributive.

You absolutely "nailed" (there's a pun here if I don't watch it) that I was raised in a "narrow religious system." I KNOW how those biker dudes feel!

You've told me that your sermon today incorporates the John Donne quote I used in my first comment to Nicki's cancer post. I've always loved that quote and Donne's eloquent expression of his thoughts. I'm looking forward to receiving the promised CD of the sermon.

And I so like and agree with your characterization of Jesus (whose teachings may be beneficial to all of us) if he were on earth today ... particularly the parts about riding a Harley and being a Dallas Cowboys fan.

)O(

Anonymous said...

Way back in the early Spring of 1984 Jennifer, shy and delicate little flower that she is, made a "Modest Proposal". She had always wanted to go to Paris and we were finally in a position to do so.

I said absolutely NOT. We didn't speak the language. The French are rude. It cost too much. And she said, "I love you and I'm going to Paris. I would love to go to Paris WITH you. But either way, I'm going to Paris." And so we left the continent for the first time. Oh yes, and the French are not rude.

In 1987 (after Japan, Beijing and Hong Kong in 1986) it was my turn to choose. Literally, since childhood I've been fascinated with Egypt. In 1960 when I was thirteen or fourteen years old, I had saved up from my princely allowance of $5 a week until I had an extra $10 to send to UNESCO. The money was to help save the Abu Simbel temple complex from the rising waters behind the newly completed Aswan High Dam. I thought it was about time that I went to Egypt and checked up on just what they did with my $10. Not that Jennifer didn't want to go. She'll pretty much go anywhere with about ten minutes warning. But this was really my dream.

If I were asked what places on Earth everyone should try to see in this lifetime, the Great Pyramid at Giza would have to be number one and Abu Simbel would probably be number two. Worry about the Great Wall of China later.

Originally built by the Pharaoh Ramses II (a/k/a Ramses the Great, Yul Brynner in Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments") in 1284 BC (OK, I'm a dinosaur but I still use BC and AD) as a memorial temple to himself and his number one wife, Nefertari (Anne Baxter in the DeMille picture, he actually had over two hundred wives and concubines). In reality the Temple was meant as a warning to the Nubians or anyone else thinking of invading Egypt from the south. Hey guy, you are entering Ramses's territory and he was one powerful dude. Arguably he was the most powerful man on Earth at the time.

Carved directly into a limestone cliff, the temple complex is an engineering marvel. Almost everyone is familiar with the face of the main temple and its four gigantic seated figures of Ramses, but the true marvel is inside.

Carving again directly into the native stone, there is a large "chapel" lined with standing figures of Ramses, each one some thirty feet tall. At the far back of this large chapel is a smaller inner chapel, the most sacred place in the complex about sixty yards directly back from the entrance. This small room housed four statues. From left to right they were Ptah (the creator god and god of reincarnation), Amun Ra (god who preserved order and ruled over the land of the living), Ramses himself, and Re-Horakhte (a/k/a Horus, sun of Osiris and the embodiment of the living pharaoh as a god). The marvel is that each year at dawn on his birthday, and on the anniversary of Ramses's ascension to the throne (now estimated as Feb. 22 and Oct. 22) ... on those two days and those days only ... an intense beam of brilliant light from the Eastern sunrise penetrates the temple and illuminates three of the figures (Ptah always remains in shadow). Everyone normally whispers inside the chapel. The sense if of spiritually is intense.

It was in this hushed, close little alcove that the near fatal idea for my little jest (as I mentioned earlier) came to me. This is where I heard the other English speaking guide explaining the similarities between the Christian Trinity and the Egyptian Trinity. I'm sure that somewhere in my arty little head a small voice told me that everyone might not understand the humor, but none-the-less I stage whispered, "Sort of like, 'Ankh if you love Jesus'". Well, it wasn't the worst social blunder I'd ever made, but I would have to advise you to think twice before you ask me to speak at a funeral.

The money UNESCO raised was spent over four years and 40 million dollars to cut the original temple apart with diamond saws, move it to a man-made false hill on higher ground and reassemble it to preserve it from the Nile waters. The project went seamlessly and if you didn't know, you would never suspect that it had ever been moved. One small flaw ... the days that the sunrise illuminates the inner sanctuary of the temple are now off by one day. Don't we all hope that someday our engineering can reach those Ancient Egyptian levels? Oh well, I still think I got my money's worth.

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I`m sure you all will have fun and will have lots of stories to tell re your French sojourn. I`ll be looking forward to them.

I haven't been contributing to the blog recently because I've been too busy reading what others have written to write anything myself. You might be surprised to realize how much I enjoy reading what these younger people write. I think some of them should take up writing as a paid vocation. People like you, Lynn, Nicki, just to name a few.

Have a good time in France and let me know when you return.

Anonymous said...

I am totally enjoying the banter created by your posts.

As you know, I have always admired and often marveled at the "ancient wisdom" side of your personality. You possessed it while we were in HS and were always looking for real answers instead of just accepting the facade of our little realities.

Also, thanks for the little trip down memory lane with your "Blast From the Past". I remember how we(Cindy and I) anxiously awaited the arrival of the Thursday edition of the Index so we could read the HS section of the paper. We devoured every word, many of which were yours.