Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Yahn Smith: Razor Shards of Rat Puke ... Ho, Ho, Ho ....

Yahn Smith, Bossier High School 1964

As I read through the blog, I am constantly struck by the depth of friendship all of you share. As a "City Boy" I really liked the fact that my father moved around the country with the Civil Service. I was born in 1946 in Greenville, Texas but we moved every few years to another assignment. In 1951, when I was five, we moved to Galveston, where I went to elementary and junior high school. I grew up there on the beach. That was cool. The two friends that I was closest to in Galveston are now both dead.

We moved in 1960 to Bossier City, Louisiana when my father was attached to Barksdale Air Force Base. Bossier High School was primarily an Air Force school. We were not only segregated by race then, but by our father's rank as well. My father's civil service rank consigned me to the group of officers' kids, and officers' kids just didn't run around with NCO or enlisted men's kids. Families were transferring in and out all the time. I had a group that I hung out with in our subdivision, and I often crossed the "invisible line" and had friends in both groups. These kids were a pretty worldly bunch of teenagers, used to being uprooted with little notice and sent off to Japan or Germany or any other base where their father's services were needed. I think to some degree we all knew that it wasn't a real good idea to get too close to each other. None of us were ever as close as I think you guys were and are.

When I read about you guys knowing each other from pre-school and earlier, it's a bond that goes beyond simple friendship. You were part of a community, your parents knew each other, you all had certain shared experiences, and now even those of you who did not know each other very well way back then have a common bond. I cannot help but be a little envious.

In 1974, Jennifer and I were living in Dallas and we drove over to Bossier City to attend my ten year high school reunion. Even though Jennifer and I are the same age, I didn't get to skip grades as Jennifer did. I graduated in 1964. It was interesting to see some of the people. Mostly I went to see if any of the bad things I had wished on some of the "A Group" had come true. High school had not been one of the better experiences in my life, and many of my wishes actually had come true. The star football player, BMOC, was already a fat, balding used car salesman. The snobby cheerleader/homecoming queen had married badly, seemed to drink quite a lot, and was aging rapidly. Almost none of the people I had run around with were there. I've never tried to get in contact with any of them since. I guess I was sort of a loner and I knew that all any of us really had in common was a short lived physical proximity to each other.

That I was an artist (see above picture) also seemed to set me apart from a lot of people. I was unhappy and, within certain limits, rebellious in high school, so I was never going to be voted "Most Popular" or "Best Team Spirit". If you've ever seen the Kathleen Turner movie Peggy Sue Got Married, I was the teenage biker poet writing truly awful poetry: "Razor shards of rat puke raining down ...", etc. By 16, I thought that I was a "serious" beatnik. I went to Fellini films and stage productions of Shakespeare and Shaw over at Centenary College. Some of my friends and I staged spontaneous "Happenings" that maybe ten people would show up for. I ached to dress all in black (black turtleneck and black jeans, like "real" beatniks on TV and in the movies ... see picture below ... with goatee ... under "Season's Greetings from Glitter City") ... except my parents would never have permitted me to dress like that. Imagine a time when teenagers actually answered to their parents' wishes!

Oh, but I so wanted to be "cool". If we'd only had a coffee house in Bossier City for bad poetry readings and bongo rhythms. Not that I was "affected" or anything like that. I remember that I tore a picture of Lawrence Olivier as Hamlet out of TV Guide and took it to my barber. I wanted my hair cut just like his. I was already blond ... just short, little bangs, nothing over the ears or collar or, you know "weird" like that. I was 16 or 17 and he told me I would need a written note from my parents before he would cut anything as extreme as that. Remember, this was still pre-Beatles.

Your group's recollections seem so "American Graffiti" to me. Even though I was "the bad boy" that nice girls were forbidden to invite to their parties (they had to sneak me in the back door or hide me in a closet), we probably didn't get into any worse trouble than you guys did. A little beer, a little kissy-face, cruising around the Kokomo Drive-In (read your Dairy Mart) and up and down the Bossier City Strip which was lined with a pretty mean group of neon-covered nightclubs for the servicemen from Barksdale. We listened to KOMA out of OK City just like you guys, but somehow the atmosphere was very different. There was a security to Childress that was absent in my world. Jennifer had some less than wonderful memories of Childress ... I guess everyone had a lot to deal with growing up ... but she has come to appreciate growing up where she did. The Good,The Bad, and The Ugly ( I think there is a movie in there somewhere) ... it is still one of the things all of you should probably be grateful for, even if it wasn't always sunshine and roses.

Happy Holidays (again) to all ....


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Yahnnie Boy! Thanks for this great story! You have a way of bringing it all home.
I think we all have hard times growning up, whether in small towns or cities. You have made me realize how important it is to be nice to our teenagers and preteens. I promise I will never have another one kicked off my school bus.
BTW...Lakeway is headed to the State Finals in Football. Do you think Chidress was obsessed with football? Lakeway has spent tons of $$ improving our field, building an indoor practice field!!! and OMG...new uniforms, cheerleader outfits, gear, transportation, pizza...What can I say! The city passed a bond for all of the improvements and no one had to sell their farm!! LOL!

Razor Shards of Rat Puke!? LOL!!! Now that is original.
I didn't feel the need for a poetry reading coffeehouse until I was a student here at the University. Austin is weird and cool, but is still lacking in that atmosphere.

Anonymous said...

Roland Bruce!! Thanks for joining us! You have equally as many interesting stories as Jim Spradley, or anyone else here for that matter. Please continue to enhance our blog with your sparkling stories.
Give my best to Becky. You guys have a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone notice in his picture how much Yahn looks like Opie(Ron Howard from the Andy Griffth show? or is it just me??

Anonymous said...

I'm reading the blog and really enjoy the articles. Thanks to Jennifer and Nicki!! Yahn's childhood brief was great!!

We are planning, buying and enjoying each day and expect 20 to 25 for Christmas dinner! My wife, Becky, loves to bake and cook. I enjoy giving instructions and guidance, but it is her territory.

Have a GREAT Holiday Season!!!

Anonymous said...

Yahn, I was just remembering way back when...I remember sharing the feelings of which you speak. I lead such a sheltered life that I didn't even know what a hippie was until way late in the game. However, I can remember having feelings for the need to be able to relax in our society. I can remember how great I felt when I traded in my Jackie Kennedy outfits for a blue chambray work shirt and a pair of bell bottom hip hugger jeans. I felt so totally cool and in ownership of myself for the first time in my life. I wish I could still wear those JK outfits, though. Darn!

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

With a title like "Razor Shards of Rat Puke..." who can possibly resist digging, I mean reading, on for enlightenment. Yahn, thank you so much for sharing your high school experiences. I suspect that many of us will relate to your story when you talk about being a loner and wanting so badly to be able to express yourself in ways that didn't fit the established criteria for being part of the "A Group." Sadly, in high school we often failed to appreciate those that we considered to be different even in that secure Childress environment. There were no coffee houses or opportunities to see Fellini films or stage productions of Shakespeare. Arriving in the big cities such as Dallas, Austin, or even Lubbock thrust many of into total cultural shock. While I am grateful for the bonds of friendship that I cherish even today, there is a huge part of me that is a little envious that you grew up with perhaps a more sophisticated outlook on life that has in all probablity served you very well throughout life.

I love the picture! I love the way you express yourself. Like Jennifer you have a gift for envolving us in your stories.

I look forward to more.

Jennifer Johnston said...

OK guys .., bit of a mea culpa. After I published Roland's comment this morning, I noticed a small typo ... so I took the comment down and republished it. In the meantime, Sheila had commented on Roland's message, although I couldn't see her comment at the time ... which now appears above Roland's note. Proving, I suppose, that sometimes the "search for perfection" may be fraught with peril, and that sometimes, as the Beatles sang, we/I should just "let it be."

Roland, let me add my "welcome" to the blog ... and my hope that you will share some of your stories, and other comments, in days to come.

Sheila, once while Yahn and I were dating (ca. 1967), I was visiting in Childress and went downtown wearing my tres-trendy hip-hugger bell-bottoms, tie-dyed shirt, gypsy earrings, moccasins and other countercultural accoutrements (no flowers in my hair, at least on that occasion). I was waiting for a light to change so I could cross Main Street (even though there was NO traffic, I had been well-trained) when two older ladies who had known me and my family all my life walked up behind me. One said, "Oh my. There's a hippie in Childress!" I turned around and said hello to both of them by name, then started across the street and heard one of them say, "Oh my. That hippie is Jennifer Johnston." Had they not been so genteel, there might have been an epithet in there somewhere....

We've just about reached the really "slow" time of the holiday season, but Nicki and I have some good ideas for subjects in the coming year. BUT ... not only do we want (and look forward to) your comments, we are also very interested in knowing what subjects you would like to discuss ... or to feature something you've written in a "topic" post under your name, where we've seen wonderful things from Mike, and Jim Sr., and Darryl, and now from Yahn, all of whom we hope will continue to contribute. Nicki and I certainly don't want to "hog the blog". However, if you don't want to write something yourselves, just let us know what you'd like to see and we will do our best to take it from there. The more the merrier ... and the better the blog ....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Hey, BFF Jenn .... I didn't have time to be a hippie. I was too busy making a living in places that didn't allow individual expression of ANY kind! Ha! Gotta love that corporate! However, I am making up for the "sobriety of my youth", as fast as possible ... Pinot Noir close to hand as I type. The poem "When I Am An Old Woman" (Jenny Joseph, 1961) was written for me:

WARNING
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . ..
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When SUDDENLY I am OLD, and start to wear purple.

Anonymous said...

Linda Kay and some of the rest of you will probably find this funny, but after all my beatnik affectations of the '60s, by the early '70s I ended up in "Three Piece Suitville" as a corporate art director for a Tenneco subsidiary. The real world has quite a smack when you run right straight at it.

Sheila!!!... Opie!!!... I'm sure that I will eventually forgive you for that. I wish I could take credit for the "Razor shards..." bit, but it's actually from the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married" and they were supposedly the words of the pretentious, outcast pseudo-biker poet character. As opposed to me, the "voice of reason" in a mad world ... or so I would have told you then.

Nicki and Roland, thanks for your comments. I regret some other things from my childhood and adolescence, but not my beatnik period. It's actually one of my finer memories.

Jennifer Johnston said...

BFF LK, you always lift my spirits ... wish I was there to indulge in the Pinot (if not the brandy!) with you. Can we have really BIG red hats, and cleverly coordinated contrasting shades of purple?

Also, for our readers, LK has agreed to "out" herself and confess to being the fourth participant on 'Pine Roof the day we ruined Mamaw's stew. (See comment to "Learnin' Golf ... Countin' Strokes ..." in October). In fact, I believe LK is the one who originally came up the 'Pine Roof tag. LK remembers very well the aftermath when Mamaw called her mother to tell Johnnie (LK's mother) what had transpired.

And, protestations to the contrary, I know it wasn't ALL corporate drudgery....

)O(