Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Linda Kay Bridges Cook: Friday Night Lights ... The Sound ... and the Flurries...?

Wherever in Texas there is a high school football game being played, there surely will be a high school band to play the team onto the field. This is the Friday Night Ritual.

Band was the best part of my high school experience. Loved the band trips to games, contests, and anyplace else we had to show up. Some of it was due to one of the great Directors we had: Norman Hemphill would probably be voted #1 by every musician he ever led. Remember the band’s collective groan, “Ohhhhh, DURN!” when there was a play gone bad on the field? Uncle Norm. When we wore a uniform, he wore a uniform. Mrs. Hemphill would occasionally drive the twirlers home from out-of-town games, bless her, and she was just as much fun as Mr. Hemphill.

We were led our Freshman and Sophomore years by the cold director Don Davis. No fun, but that’s the only time in our four years that we got a #1 rating at UIL marching contest. So….if you have to give up a fun time to get a “1” rating, include me out.

But the largest part of the good times came from being part of a real team of kids. You don’t find many band members who are there because they need another class credit. They’re all there ON PURPOSE. If you don’t have a good time in band, it’s YOUR fault! I marched with the band Freshman and Sophomore years in the beautiful blue uniform, playing clarinet. About that uniform…it was wool, mostly. I roasted alive until the cold weather started, and froze to death thereafter. It was heavy and so was the hat. But when that drum cadence started and we filled the street on the way to the stadium, it was exhilarating! We had a mean drum section that could get your heart pumping. Did you ever hear Gale Sisco on a drum solo? For that matter, even though she was twirling more than playing, Sheila Davis was a heck of a drummer, too.

There is an adrenaline rush standing in the end zone with nervous anticipation, the crowd in the stands is completely silent, then the drum major’s whistle blows, the fanfare of the trumpets begins (Larry Harris, Gary Dorman, and Eddie Huddleston were terrific!), and you step out to a well-drilled routine. That’s where you get the REAL feel of performing—among the troops marching 8/5 (eight steps to 5 yards). I think it was Uncle Norm who changed it to 6/5. That’ll make your muscles scream! It’s harder than it looks, folks: take the exact number and size steps, remember which direction to turn on what note, play the CORRECT note, and hit your marks and notes all on time, in tune, and on location. Because if you don’t…EVERYbody in the stadium sees you!!! The Director HEARS you, and your comrades will snarl if you run into them. No pressure.

Practice, practice, practice. Up at o’dawn thirty during the school year to practice before class and after school until all hours sometimes. We had two-a-days in the pre-season just as the football team did. Up and down that 100 yards a million times a day. Oh, to be in that physical condition again!

I made twirler Junior year. A life-long dream! I had cousins preceding me, one a twirler and one a cheerleader in the '50s that I admired and wanted to be just like them. Clara mentioned the camp we went to at SMU. Man, was that fun! Bright lights, big city! I remember seeing the Packers get off the bus at the stadium where we had a twirling class. They were some of the biggest people I had ever seen, and so OLD! But the strangest thing that happened was that one of our instructors, a beautiful girl who was one of the Texas Stars (twirlers) at UT turned up later as my shorthand instructor at a refresher course I took at secretarial school in Dallas in the '70s. Small World Dept.

Neither rain, nor snow,….I have a vague memory of marching in Spearman (?) where it was bitterly cold, wind blowing 90 miles an hour, and snow flurries began. Fortunately, we were wearing the long pants to our white twirler uniforms, but there were many times we had the short-pants on in freezing weather…. Ever been in a West Texas norther in your skivvies? Not to be missed!

Practice, practice, practice. In addition to all that marching practice, the twirlers had to practice our show routines. We twirled fire, two batons, did dance routines, march routines, and won individual honors at UIL as a result of our hard work. In high school, it mattered a lot to us. We were pretty darned good, if I say so myself.

I was once a victim of my own football heroes. At the Olney game (don’t remember the year) we were setting up for half-time on the sidelines, rather than our usual entrance in the end zone. It was a preview of our performance we were taking to Amarillo for the upcoming UIL contest. Since the twirlers were entering the field last, we were lined up behind the band several rows deep. The last play before the buzzer began and the crowd was on its feet screaming. As usual, being of the short persuasion, I couldn’t see what’s happening. I have a vague memory of blue band uniforms and horns parting and a great scrambling going on, and then there were about three football players charging full steam in tackle mode. One of them got me with a shoulder pad and helmet, right in the mid-section and slammed me to the ground. The next thing I know, the doctor on call was waving smelling salts under my nose. A couple of people helped me up and found my hat. The show must go on! I managed to hobble through that half-time, but I think I was retired for the rest of the evening. This is the only game my parents missed while I was in school.

Marsha, Pat, Sheila, Donna, Tanya, and Brenda were great partners in the fun and work, and I wish I could see them all again. (I also wish that uniform still fit!)

13 comments:

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

LK,

What great memories for you to share! If only there had been My Space or You Tube or whatever along with cell phones, you would have been a star on the Internet as you were taken down by the football team. Being short does have its disadvanteges at time doesn't it? I do totally identify with your uniform fitting remark. Oh for the good old days!

You did a great job as always! I look forward to more

Jennifer Johnston said...

Hey BFF! Absolutely LOVED your story ... it really took me back to all the Friday Night Lights excitement of those years!!! I remember so well that march to the stadium, and the pep rallies, and that nauseating "rush" just before the drum major whistled us into motion. And what a case of butterflies all the way through the halftime performance ... being afraid of turning the wrong way, or missing the mark, and throwing everyone off formation ... a particular nightmare was the idea of marching one way while the whole band went the other and being out there "by yourself" in front of God and parents and everybody. I think more than a few of us chipped a tooth coming down hard on a step, causing the mouthpiece to collide with the upper teeth....

And the drilling ... hoo boy ... yeah, that could be pretty brutal! One thing I will always remember from those continuous drills is that when someone would mess up, you could count on hearing Uncle Norm scream through his bullhorn: "You guys look like a Chinese fire drill out there!!!" Of course that always broke us into giggles and decorum had to be restored before we could continue.

I also remember the out-of-town band trips, particularly when we were freshmen and felt totally out of our element on the band bus around the "polished" upperclassmen ... Googie Phillips, Eddie Huddleston, Gale Sisco, Larry Harris, Gary Dorman ... all of them such characters and having such a good time ... and we SO wanted to be part of it!!!

As I recall, those uniforms only felt good about two games per year ... the rest of the time they were either HOT HOT HOT (and NOT in the complimentary sense) ... or they weren't heavy enough to make a difference against the cold. One of the games at Quanah was pretty bad, too. That's the only time I can recall that the band was actually allowed to go sit in the band bus before halftime to fight incipient frostbite, rather than toughing it out playing in the stands! I actually think they loaded us onto the buses to go back to Childress before the end of the third quarter.

I particularly remember the twirlers' performances to "Peter Gunn" ... it was just the coolest thing, with your heads lowered to your batons, and then that beat would start and y'all would pick it up and start to move in time ... fabulous!!! You guys were GOOD!

Thanks so much for sharing your memories, and for helping me recall some of my own. Good job, girl!!!

)O(

Anonymous said...

Oh Linda Kay, what memories you stirred. I remember The uniforms well - always too hot or not warm enough.

I remember Norman Hemphill as well. His nickname for me was "Carrot Top." And one of his favorite sayings was, "We sounded like a bunch of rumptured ducks in a hail storm."

As you know, I played 1st chair French horn and at one of our contests in Amarillo I had had the first four notes solo to start out our first selection and the first note was a high F. Because I drank milk that morning with my breakfast and I managed to miss the first note completely. Later in the piece I had the same four notes in another solo and although I did them perfectly, I did them with big tears running down my face. Because of me we took second place instead of first. Norman never said a word of critizism to me, but 2nd chair French horn, Linda Landrum, sure gave me hell for screwing it up. Have to admit I had it coming.

You failed to mention the bus rides to the games. What fun they were. We sang ridiculous songs all the way to and from the games.
We always sat at the back of the bus, you, Jennifer, Pat Davenport and I think Linda Sally and myself.

Except for the screw up at the contest all of my memories of the band are good. So thanks for the reminder.

Still love you, girl,
Lynn Purcell Durham

Anonymous said...

Linda-----thanks for the memories! I was in the band freshman & sophomore year and LOVED it. Our jr. year Pat Harmon and I were told we couldn't do both cheerleading & band. We both opted for cheerleading and I have regretted it many, many times. I loved my trombone----loved the marching---the contests----and MOST especiallly, the jazz/stage band. I would love to be playing in a jazz band today. I wonder if I could even get a sound out of a trombone today!

Anonymous said...

Whoopie tie yoh!!!!...this was a great story.....I have really really enjoyed reading it....good job!!

Anonymous said...

btw Lynn...as an aside...shouldn't we tell the story of...when were kids...in your front yard.....and we were arguing on how chickens made eggs.....and your Mother got a little peeved at all of us?....

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Talk about needing a personal stylist! Where in the world did I ever come up with that hairdo?? LOL!!! I look like Michael Jackson in that picture!

LK, You look great in the white uniform. Can you believe that we ever looked that good?? From what I can remember, our average waistline was about 22"-24". Today the average waistline is 27".

I am glad to hear you say that BAND was the best part of my high school experience. I feel the same way. I often wonder what would have happened to me if I hadn't had band in my life...but I will not go off on that subject.

Thanks for remembering Gale Sisco's and my drumming expertise. We actually had cadence wars between us to see who could come up with the snazziest cadence. We were very competitive with each other yet we were also great together. Somehow I always managed to keep 1st chair, but I do believe that he was the better drummer. He did an excellent job on the trap drums while we were in the stage band. I couldn't compete with him, so I started playing the trumpet just so I could be a part of the stage band.

What I remember most about those marches from the band hall to the stadium and all of the practicing in between is one very big bruise on my leg from marching with the snare drum banging on my leg. That bruise started in August and didn't go away until sometime in Dec! I also remember Googie Phillips saying to me and Eddie Huddleston on one of those miserably hot marching days when we were all sweating our buns off, "I always take a bath once a month whether I need it or not!" I have laughed about that for years.

I guess we are all entitled to our favorite band director. Mine was Harold Jackson. I never forgave him for leaving us when we were headed to HS from the 8th grade. He was tough, but he got a lot out of us. I also liked Don Davis. He was the one who encouraged me to audition for the All Region Band. I will never forget the look of pride on his face when I, with a mixture of disbelief, joy and awe, told him that I made the band. BUT...you are right, he wasn't a bowl of laughs. Maybe he didn't like clarinet players! LOL!!! Not really! I am just kidding!

Lynn, I was always in awe of your French horn playing. You had so much determination to get it right, and for the most part, you did just that. You became ONE with your instrument and that was a sight to behold, not only for our eyes but also for our ears! If it had been me, I would have chosen a different instrument, like maybe the drums??? So much easier.

You all speak of the cold. I remember one time when it was so cold that Larry Harris' mouth piece stuck to his lips!

Jennifer, thanks for all of your memories of our band days. I never dreamed that any of you were feeling nauseated about having to perform in public. I am guessing that Guinevere had not quite surfaced at that point! lol... She is afraid of NOTHING and even seems to enjoy entertaining the masses! It is interesting to know about the difficulties you were having...I never dreamed about chipping a tooth, or running into someone with your horn. Now, about marching the wrong way, all alone...I do understand that one! Especially after I dropped my baton that time! LOL...oh well.

I remember feeling deserted our Senior year when so many of you dropped band for one reason or another. Jennifer, Pat Harmon(another Sax player), Clara and her trombone...can't remember who else.

Does anyone remember Bruce Patterson playing that big ole bass horn? I must say, he put us all to shame with his energy and his spirit. I never told him that I admired him, but maybe one day I will see him again and will be able to do just that.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Lynn, I SO remember those ridiculous songs ... "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" (how OLD must that thing BE???), "Row Row Row Your Boat" (getting a "round" going with all the pandemonium on the bus was a feat!), the "take" on the Notre Dame Fight Song ("Beer, beer for old Childress High. Bring on the whiskey, bring on the rye..."), and others ... and I remember all of us giggling and sharing secrets in the back of the bus and doing our part to maintain "proper" band bus decorum (i.e., loud, boisterous and irreverent). Those were truly wonderful times!

*******

Shee-Ra, you mentioned that Pat Harmon and Clara and I all dropped band by Senior year. I see that Clara's comment has solved the mystery about her and Pat H. As for me ... I had patiently waited through Freshman and Sophomore years for the entrenched 1st chair alto sax, Mary Margaret Brummett (now Sanders), to graduate so I could assume the mantle, which I did in my Junior year. However, at the start of Senior year, my college prep credit requirements left only one spot in my schedule ... I could either take band and maintain 1st chair, or I could take journalism again (for no credit that time, I might add) and fulfill my ambition to become Editor in Chief of "The Corral", which was of course the option I chose. I truly hated to drop band, with all the fun, and all my friends who were part of it ... but the pull to writing was stronger, so.... And I do think being Editor (among other things) may have helped me get the waiver to work on the Texas Tech "Daily Toreador" in the fall of 1963. (See "The Times of Our Lives ... the day of the bells...", posted January 11, 2008). (BTW, Pat H. played tenor sax, if I recall correctly.)

I can't even remember Harold Jackson ... and with my memory, that's saying something. Gotta agree with LK about the "cold" Don Davis ... and though he may not have liked clarinet (or sax) players, I do recall he had a warm spot for flute....

I think it was during the Quanah game I mentioned previously ... the one where they loaded up the band bus and left for home before the game was over... that Larry Harris's lips froze to his trumpet

As for Guinevere the D.G., she took one look at those uniforms (not exactly "fashion forward"), got knocked off her feet by the first Texas "norther" that tore through the stadium, and opted to take a short (in goddess time) sabbatical to sunnier climes, with a lot less clothes....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Harold Jackson was our first band director. For us that would have been 7th and 8th grades. Can't believe that you do not remember him. His wife was at the band hall a lot of the time and taught us twirlers our first routines.

You are right, Don Davis did like the flute players. She was also a long legged twirler. Hope they are doing well.

You are right, Pat Harmon did play the tenor sax. I remember that it was bigger than she was. Marching with it must have been very difficult.

Anonymous said...

You guys always make me feel like the three eyed space monster peeking into Wally and the Beav's house. I only went out for band one year. It wasn't as bad as the year my father blackmailed me into going out for football, but... well... you guys probably remember the "devil machine" that everyone used to tune-up with. If you played the note on key, you got a green light. If not, you got a RED light. I just had to take everybody else's word that there really was a GREEN light on that thing.

Part of the problem was that I chose the flute as my instrument to learn on. In my beatnik-addled little brain I had visions of dimly lit, smoke filled coffee houses, my partner playing rhythm on the bongo drums (I should have just gone for the bongos) as I played the flute ... you know, just like in the movies. At the end, of course, I would receive waves and waves of finger-snapping applause.

I clearly remember the night of the big concert after a year of hard work. Casually the band director came over to me and very sotto voce said, "I know that your family and friends are all out front tonight and I want you to proudly march out there just like everybody else. Then, when I direct, you should lift your instrument up to your lips, BUT ... under no circumstances WHAT-SO-EVER ... should you actually blow into that flute."

So you can see why I have such a hard time relating. I can only imagine all the fun you guys had. I guess us beatnik "warrior poet" types were just off somewhere else entirely. Probably on the wrong bus altogether....

Anonymous said...

Mike if you want to tell the story about Mom giving us hell for even discussing Mother Nature then feel free to do so. Dana was the one she got after, thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

Hi all -- Yesterday I read the story and comments -- loved them, and also the pics -- I remember a lot of the things talked about. Sometimes I feel I've lived a dozen lifetimes since graduation -- but it's always nice to go back.

Jennifer Johnston said...

BFF Pat, so good to see you on the blog again ... thanks for the comment to this, as well as the comments on Raenell's and my "Show & Tell" pieces.

Also, thanks so much for sharing your grandmother's poem, "Sixteen", with us. (See the poem in "Short Notes".) It was truly wonderful ... so evocative ... and then the last line ... where the young girl is jerked back to "reality" ... was just such a clever ending. Your grandmother was quite talented. Perhaps you will share more ... and maybe a bio for "Show & Tell" soon.

)O(