Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Friday, January 4, 2008

Life is a game; Basketball is Serious: Jim Wilcoxson

I, like Joe, grew up wanting to be a Bobcat. I had an uncle, James Henry Hankins, who died while playing football for the Bobcats in 1938. My grandfather, Henry Hankins, watched nearly every practice and every game Childress played in all sports. He started taking me with him to practices when I was in the third grade. My first heroes were not Superman, Roy Rogers, or Gene Autry, but Bobcat ball players—Lindley Davis, LaNoel Castleberry, Derrell Nippert, F.A. Davis, and Tom Higley.

My first year to play youth basketball which was called Kids Inc. in Childress, Tom Higley was my coach. I was in the second grade and all of the boys on the team were two to three years older than I was. Some of my teammates were Hugh Gayle Frith, LeRoy Black, and Brian and Gary McBrayer. I was clueless! My dad told me I would stand in one spot and just jump up and down. The next year Tom was still my coach, but my teammates were my age. It was the third grade that started the friendship with teammates Joe Don Hopkins, and Bobby Huff that lasted through our senior year. We had a great time playing ball, and I remember our Shetland League team, the Fabulous Robins, was undefeated and in our minds the greatest team of all time

My sophomore year we tied Spearman for the district championship and had a playoff with them at Shamrock. We had a big team so Spearman played a zone and just packed it in. Coach Warren started me in the playoff game because I was supposed to be able to shoot from the perimeter. Sure enough on the first possession, I brought the ball down and Spearman didn’t have a player much higher than the free throw line. Naturally, I shot. I air balled it! I mean it hit nothing! I glanced at the bench on the way back down on defense and Coach Warren had his head in his hands, like, “what have I done.” Fortunately, we went on and won the game—no thanks to me, I might add. Bob Foard, Jerry Harmon, Homer McGaugh, and John Manual were seniors on that team. Juniors were Travis McCain, James Self, and Jim Hamm.

Our junior year we had a really talented team with the potential to be a factor at the state level, but we had some key injuries. I missed nearly every district game because of an Achilles tendon injury. It was the most disappointing thing that happened to me in all my athletic career. James Self, Glen Beal, Michie King, Jim Hamm,and Travis McCain were the seniors on the team, and the juniors were Bob Huff, Darrell Manuel, Johnny Thornton, Ronnie Lawrence, Joe Hopkins, and myself.

Our senior year, we won 19 games and lost 6. We finished second in district to Seymour who had a truly big talented team. Joe Don, Bobby , Johnny Thornton, Ronnie Lawrence, Reed Lockhoof, Phil Tudor, and I were the seniors on the team, and even though we had a good team, we lacked the height that was needed to beat Seymour.

I have a hard time remembering many games or scores, but I do remember the relationships that were built. I was blessed to have many fine friends and teammates while playing basketball. Joe Don and Bobby were close to me during that time. We had played together since the third grade. We spent many an hour after practice just getting in a little extra shooting practice and hanging out as the kids would say today.

Joe Don and I were talking a couple of days before Christmas. We remember that one of the great things about Childress was that we were all the same. We didn’t notice what we wore, where we lived, what we drove, and nobody had a clue or cared how much your daddy had. I feel like God really blessed me to let me live in Childress, be a Bobcat and have friends and teammates like Joe Don and Bobby.

I feel blessed to have had Joe Warren as a coach. Coach wasn’t much older than his team, but he did a great job of coaching us and we won more games than our talent would indicate. But what I really appreciated about Coach Warren was that he made basketball fun. I enjoyed going to the gym whether it was a game or practice. He treated us with respect and my decision to become a coach was due in large part to the positive experience I had playing high school basketball. I have re-established contact with Coach over the last few years. We have had a great time playing golf and visiting—usually telling Childress stories.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jim.......what a great story......I always admired your athletic abilities.....and appreciated that I counted Willie Wilcoxen as a friend.....I have told Willie stories all over the world....I actually remember you suggesting that I play basketball.....you took Jimmy C. and I down to talk to Tom Higley. But I could never comprehend the concept of throwing a ball to the floor and having it return to your hand........so to this day....I have never played a single game of basketball.....(my two sons were great athletes.....so I actually assisted coached those two to 4 championships......ha!!!)

So....loved your story big time Jim.........and please......write some more.....everytimeI read a story....it brings back big reminders....

Sprad

Anonymous said...

Jim....I forgot.....I have already told that you taught me how to compute batting averages.......how to play golf.....and in 1957....your Dad told you and I how Garland Terrel got the nickname, Bonecrusher.?"

do you remember that?
Sprad

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Mike,
Thanks for your nice comments. I too would like to see Jim write more and I am urging him do that. I am trying to shake loose some of those old memories of golf now!!

Jim tells me that he doesn't remember the bonecrusher story. He is pretty sure it must have something to do with Mr. Terrel's football playing days as a Bobcat. He does remember that all of you guys had a healthy respect for him in 7th and 8th grade football, probably partially because of the bonecrusher story. Please share the details that you remember. It sounds like another good story.

BTW, we are still waiting to hear the Clara story that you have been promising us!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, Mike has prepared another of his wonderful stories for us, to be published soon ... but still not the Clara story, which he is dangling like a feather in front of a cat, albeit probably a wet cat if it appears in the story.... I think he likes teasing us ... and it's working. Anticipation rises ... a little trick Darryl taught in journalism class.

Another bit of advice that Darryl gave us for the paper ... which of course worked ... was that the more people we could mention in any given article and/or throughout each edition of "The Corral", the more readership we would build just to see who was named ... or not ... or exposed ... in the subsequent editions... Jim and Joe Don and Mike are particularly good at doing this ... as are Darryl and others. And Harold and Jack ... we are most assuredly awaiting ... anticipating ... your stories.

Now, if Jim or Joe (or Nicki) can persuade Coach Joe Warren to appear.... We'd love to hear from him ... not only about coaching, but about figurative bomb throwers in his history class. (I've always wondered if he ever used a "class survey" project after that first time with our class....)

And last, but not least, Jim ... the story was really good, as wre Mike's comments. I feel sure we will see more from you as we (merrily) roll along....

Who knows? The Shadow do ....

)O(

Anonymous said...

well....i screwed up my more more recent reply...so i will try again..

I think it was the same day jim is teaching me how to compute batting averages.......we were at his kitchen table..........jim's Dad walked and sat down with us.....and we just had a great ole' time talking.......He toldus stories about childress......but the one i rmemember was about our then current coach, garland terrel.....jim's dad explained that c. terrel had been a great ball player.....and his nick name was "bonecrusher"....(..which was also the callsign for the USS Long Beach in the gulf of tonkin guarding the carriers on yankee station(they came close to killing me once......)

anyway.....great timetalking with Jim's Dad.......which I did several times......but that was the most memorable......(withoout fanfare........in my industry....I am renown for my memory.....so i seldom forget anything.....Jennifer has another story fromme.....and it includes another story involving jim(willie)

and Nikki......I am so soryy I never met you.....but hope to change that soon.....

on the Clara watergun massacre story......I just hate to finish it........because I have had such a wonderful time writing it.....its not that i commonly laugh at my own material......its just that as I amwriting.....i am remembering and visualizing the event from years ago......and i just fall apart laughing.....

now Jim!!!!....doggone it.....we wanna hear some more stories......heavens knows you were the center of many of them...

gotta go
Sprad

Jennifer Johnston said...

We have new stories coming from Mike this week ... so we can all be looking forward to reading them and reveling in his wonderful storytelling. And just today we received another tale ("Small World Department") relating to Mike's encounter in Peru with a guy named "Mac McCool" (I am NOT making this up and Mike swears HE isn't either.

We've posted Mike's comment/story beneath the recent comments of Jim Sr. and Darryl in Joe Don's "Confessions from the Locker Room" post ... but wanted to note these comments here so they don't get lost in the shuffle and missed by some of our readers. All are great ....

The blog has been blessed with great participation lately ... and yes, Mike ... and I AM hounding other people....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Ok……I am a’gonna tell the Clara Ann Robinson Water Gun Massacre story… or mebbe not….I hate to tell it cause I am not ready for it to be over…..because…..as I am been remembering the event…..I just keep laughing my butt off…..remembering it……..clear as day…..like it was yesterday……and Clara does not even remember it………All I want everybody to understand ……is……it was all Don Seal’s fault…..and no parts are exaggerated…..

During my recent chemo……I got neutrapenic?.......sick as crap…….no red cells…..no white cells…..etc….etc…….the Nurse walks in, clears away all the tubes to see me, and says,”why are you laughing so hard?’……..I replied... ”because I am remembering Clara Ann Robinson drowning my buddy and I in a water gun fight in 1957…..!"

But before I get into it…….I need to elaborate on a couple of items………As an example…….the story about my Dad breaking all his clubs over his knee because he could not find his putter……….because it was in my bag………..I can now tell the complete truth……

……..It was ALL Willie Wilcoxson’s fault.

That day….must have been summer because all the golf bags (20 to 30 maybe)…..were in the Men's room…. and Willie and I were about to play golf……we are the only ones there…… Before we left for the course…… that knobby thang on the end of my putter……that you use to hit the ball (if you are lucky……..)….fell completely dang off the end of my putter!!!!!..........

Not to worry Willie says……….he knew who owned every bag in that room…..I had no idea what my Dad’s clubs looked like…… but Willie did…… Willie goes to Dad’s bag and whups out Dad’s putter….and says…. ”here…use your Dad’s putter…..but make sure you put this thing back in his bag when we finish…”

The following Sunday morning my Dad is nursing this terrible hangover…… and Jeeeeeeez…….he can…. like…. hardly walk!!!!....it's like someone shot him in both knee caps………..

We asked our Mom…..whispered…what’s wrong with Dad?.......She chortles in reply something like…… ”Well…… your Dad, Mr. Cool and Collected, broke every club he owns over his leg last night because he had misplaced his putter and could not find it!”…HooooooooooBoy!!!!!..... my ole’ heart just about jumped right thru my pajamas……I think my waffle came up thru my nose……

I knew…..immediately……that if I was to have a future…….that was a secret that would remain unsaid for the rest of my life………

I want you folks to know……..that when I was lucky enough to become part of a combat aircrew during the '60s…….because we were going to a war zone……we all got sent to Escape/Evasion/Survival school in the state of Washington……you are placed into imitation POW camps……… and a bunch of Mississippi rednecks…… dressed up like Russians and North Vietnamese…with terrible accents………come in an beat you up (lightly… kind of)… and torture you a little bit… including the early forms of water boarding…….

A couple of our people actually cracked…(out of 120)and signed confessions to war crimes…….and Jeeeeeez…… we were in Washington for Thunder’s sake….!!!!!”… The blithering fake Russians were driving around in Ford F-150’s of all things……..Those two guys actually lost their secret clearance and were thrown out of aircrew status. (of course…..the aggressors actually did break one Commander’s leg…..so it got pretty intense)

But they got nothing from me……slapped me around……threw me upside down into a barrel of ice water……buried me under the ground for 12 hours….and got nothing!!!!!....Nada……Zilch point Zero!!!!!

How could a good ole’ boy from Childress withstand all that torture you ask? ...Aha!!!!... because I was able to keep it a secret for 35 years that it was I….. who had Dad’s putter that night....many years ago……!

It would have taken more than whips and chains I’ll tell ya…..

I vaguely remember telling Dad, about 15 years ago….. that it was me who had his putter…

…at the time……he was in a 21 day coma in the Plano hospital from a pancreatic attack….. but I was able to get it off my chest….. I did notice at the time……that the waveform monitoring his heart seemed to drastically change shape as I whispered the story in his ear……I am not sure I am safe…..even now……

Jennifer Johnston said...

Mike, it's going to take a while before I can get the image of the waffle coming up through your nose out of mind ... but I really don't need to eat lunch today anyway.... (grin)

Just to leave another little signpost ... we've also just published another of Mike's stories about Zel Nickerson (the OTHER goddess in Mike's life ... snarf!) and "devil woman Adams" under the post "The Unexpected: The Miracle of the Blog)", so want to make sure you all go back and pick up on it, and other stories which may have been published there since you last visited that post.

And now Mike ... yes, I'm hounding again ... we await with great anticipation the Great Watergun Massacre ... in your own good time, of course....

And we've had a response to the reunion and the blog from Floyd Dakil, which appears as a comment under "Bobcat Treasure: Jade ..." and on the reunion blog....

)O(