Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Friday, August 8, 2008

Aging ... Exploding Eggs ... and 115 Pennies....


Yahn and Hanuman in Bali, October 2004

This has been an interesting week ... in the sense of the old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times." My dear Yahn has been ill since this past weekend ... having had to be rushed to the emergency room, where we spent several hours before being allowed to come home ... with the instructions that he is prohibited from leaving the house until he sees the doctor again this coming Monday. The heat, high ozone and unusually high humidity combined to pretty much shut down his lungs ... admittedly not helped by his diagnosed COPD, likewise not helped by an almost literally lifelong habit of smoking ... still, it was and is a scary experience for both of us. I cannot help but reflect that we have wonderful insurance, for which we are thankful ... but I must remember that there are many who don't....

As far as any finger-wagging "I told you so" type comments ... it should be noted that I smoked cigarettes (joyously, I must say ... I have always enjoyed smoking, health threats notwithstanding) for about the same amount of time and in pretty much the same quantity as Yahn has ... and yet, as verified by recent X-rays and CT-scans, my lungs are quite clear (amazingly so) and functional. I do not say this to imply that smoking is okay ... it really isn't ... but just to draw a comparison. (It is also worth noting that for many, many years cigarettes were advertised and promoted extensively, and tobacco growers were actually subsidized by our government ... and oddly enough, they still are....)

So ... obviously there are other factors at work (like genetics) which play a large part in determining how we will age, and the debilitating conditions to which we will be most susceptible as our bodies and (more frighteningly, at least to me) our minds decline with age.

A recent study presented at the 2008 Alzheimer's Association's International Conference in Chicago found (as other studies have hinted) that whether you are single or divorced in midlife seems to have a major influence on your risk for developing that dreaded disease. One of the unusual things about this particular study was that it began tracking people at the age of 50, and then followed up with them 21 years later (at 71, for those who are mathematically challenged, as I am) to assess the long-term risk. The report asserted that those who were living with a spouse or partner at midlife were 50 percent less likely to develop dementia during their older years. Those who had lived alone their entire adult lives doubled their risk, but those who had been married and subsequently divorced who remained single in midlife were three times as likely to develop cognitive problems. Obviously this study and others are ongoing ... nevertheless, it does seem to show a correlation of elder mental health and functionality with socialization and companionship in the allegedly "golden years."

In addition to the foregoing, and based on other studies, I must say I have also come to believe through my own observations that there is also a genetic factor that comes into play with Alzheimer's, and COPD, and diabetes, and alcoholism, and other diseases/conditions we may become more prone to as we age.

This week has also been a bad one for my little Noah. Those who have followed "Noah's story" on this blog know that we adopted Noah just about a year ago, as a shelter rescue dog who had come to his "last day." It was a surprise for Yahn after 40 years as "cat people" to suddenly be confronted by me leashed to this wonderful, sweet, loving little dog. But Yahn, as always, rose to the occasion magnificently ... and indeed has come to love Noah almost as much as I do, and almost as much as Noah loves me. Yahn has graciously accepted the secondary position in this love affair, as befits his kind and generous nature.

When I adopted Noah, I knew he was an older dog ... 8-10 years, the shelter people guesstimated (although the veterinarian told me this week that was likely a generous estimate and he is likely older ... he is almost certainly entering the geriatric phase of his life) ... and that he had experienced a very hard life (we will never know all of the things that were done to him ... and I truly believe there is a special place in hell or karma for anyone who abuses a helpless animal) ... but Yahn and I were both so hopeful that we could have a few good years with him.

Noah and I developed our little routines ... almost daily rides in the car, listening to music (his favorite thing ... and he loves oldies, but has a broad appreciation for other musical genres) ... "dancing" together in the house or on the patio ... little games known only to me and Noah ... who by the way doesn't know what a treat or a toy is ... he apparently never had them before. But despite everything that has happened to him, he remains a source of unconditional love and joy ... and he is my sweet little baby....

This past Monday morning, after he had been acting lethargic for a few days (and coughing and throwing up), I had to rush Noah to our wonderful vet ... who admitted him to the pet "hospital" ICU ... ran tests ... and found that Noah is exhibiting signs of renal failure. (We have known for some time that he has a heart murmur, and that it is only a matter of time before that may still his sweet, loving little heart) ... but the renal failure is something new. Noah spent two full days and part of another in the hospital while he was hydrated and medicated. I know that Dr. Dennis has done almost everything possible for him, short of prolonging his life to the point where it becomes torture for him ... but this morning I sit typing this, listening to him cough and sometimes softly cry ... and all the treatment (and the hope!) from earlier this week aside, I fear he will not be with us much longer. I am determined that I shall not make him miserable just because I can hardly bear to part with him ... but still, wrapping my head around this is oh so difficult, and I can barely face the prospect of not seeing his sweet little face and loving eyes every day. But I must come to grips ... and perhaps sooner than I thought, or would like....

Which of course begs the question: Why is it that responsible pet owners may choose to euthanize their beloved animals to prevent them from terrible pain and decline ... yet most states (I believe Oregon is still the only maverick here) refuse to allow terminally ill patients to choose euthanasia when they have reached a point where there is to be no cure, and that only terrible pain and/or mental decline awaits them? I know that many will cite religious reasons ... and I am certainly conscious that diverse people have diverse religious and/or ethical beliefs. Still ... it seems to me that no one is proposing that anyone be euthanized without his/her own informed consent ... and why should those who have no religious or other dogmatic hang-ups about such matters have to defer to those who do? Not trying to get an argument going here ... just sharing some musings on the subject ... positing a pondering point....

Misroscopy image of a neurofibriliary tangle, seen in Alzheimer's research

Microscopy image of a neurofibrilary tangle, conformed by hyperphosphorylated tau protein.

As with the Alzheimer's study cited above, and others, it appears that one of the things that we, as we inexorably age, should be most cognizant of is the need to remain "socialized" ... socially viable with a network of friends and optimally a spouse/partner, interested in a diversity of subjects, active to the extent that we are genetically permitted. I believe unequivocally that this blog is a means for doing that... It is also recommended that we develop new interests, new passions ... or at least cultivate and expand those we already have ... that we participate in "new" things and concepts.... And so ...

... in the past few weeks, I have also become involved with the local chapter of a human rights organization, which I plan to continue over the next several months at least ... through the election season and wherever else it takes me. One of the multifarious concerns of this organization is our aging population ... hey folks!!! that's us!!! ... and how circumstances change for the elderly ... how some, despite good planning, or as much good planning as they were able to manage ... come to the end of their lives without enough money, or enough family, or enough friends ... and must live sometimes in dire circumstances just to put some kind of roof over their heads and some kind of food on the table.

The man who introduced me to this organization (who has become a friend, and so supportive during this past week) challenged me not long ago to try to live for "x" number of days on an amount that someone who receives minimal Social Security would have to buy food. (Not worrying about housing costs, utilities, etc., of course those are daily considerations ... but just buying enough food....) I've never been able to resist a challenge (perhaps I should have on a few occasions), so I agreed. Obviously I did not insist that Yahn, or little Noah, or the three kitties (Calamity, Gaius Maximus and Antonio "Toody") go on short rations ... although I must say that at a certain point what even the cats were eating did begin to look rather attractive....

And so I threw myself into the "experiment" ... thinking and planning and doing what I could to stretch each dollar as far as it would go (as anyone who knows me is aware, this is not behavior that comes naturally to me). I figured out that eggs are cheap (and really quite nutritious and good for you despite the bad-rap on cholesterol a few years ago), so I bought eggs. Had to forgo the whole-grain bread ... and indeed even standard Mrs. Baird's white bread (a staple of our childhood and the Birthday Club at the old Palace Theater) is almost $3 a loaf now. Jeez Louise!!!! Forget fresh produce ... fresh fish (although I did manage to find one small salmon fillet on a distressed, "must go today" sale, and it only tasted a little funny) ... and anything resembling beef as most of us know it. I did find a pack of chicken thighs (4 of them ... and I prefer breast meat) for under $2. And of course, there is peanut butter and jelly, if you buy the cheap stuff, which does have some nutritional value (almond butter is better for you, but more expensive).

Well, one day I decided to make egg salad (gotta say I cheated just a bit by already having the vinegar, mayo, mustard, etc. in stock) to try to "stretch" the eggs, so I put the eggs on to boil. And while I was waiting for that, I got sidetracked ... not difficult sometimes ... with blog things, and telephone calls with friends (at least I was socializing), and little Noah, and Yahn ... and when it occurred to me a looooong time later that there were eggs on the stove, I ran in to see that they had boiled
dry and the shells were beginning to burn. I grabbed the pan off the stove, hit the cold water tap, thrust the pan under the faucet ... and two of the eggs exploded!!!! Exploded!!! I guess fortunately they were by that point beyond hard boiled, so the mess was easier to clean up ... but I am still shaking my head over the exploding eggs ... and the fact that I frittered (no pun intended) away eight precious eggs when my food was so limited. (And before anyone writes ... yes, I know enough not to put water on a grease fire....)

Intellectual activities such as playing chess or regular social interaction have been linked to a reduced risk of AD in epidemiological studies, although no causal relationship has been found.

Honore Daumier painting of older gentlemen playing chess for intellectual stimulation

In the Sunday paper (also cheating I fear, because many financially-deprived seniors wouldn't be able to afford the daily newspaper) I found a coupon in Target's advertising insert. The coupon said that if one transferred a new prescription, a generic prescription ($4 maximum charge) to a Target store during that week, one would receive a $10 Target gift card. Well, as it happened, I had a generic prescription that needed refilling at that very time ... and fortunately (unlike many seniors) I drive a gas-easy Toyota Prius, so the gasoline to go to and from Target didn't totally negate my $6 net on the deal. I used the gift card to buy a few necessities, including toilet tissue (not food, but an expensive necessity, at least as far as I am concerned), which was on the list of things I was expected to provide for myself. Of course, many seniors couldn't take advantage of this offer because they have long ago given up prescription drugs in favor of other necessities, like food and shelter....

As I came down to the end
of my period of enforced penury, I found I had $4.15 in a variety of change ... including 115 pennies ... and I was running out of bread among other things ... so as I pondered, and pondered, and pondered, what I could get (what I needed) to make it through, I anguished over how I was going to use those 115 pennies. (Going to my bank and exchanging them was out of the question because many seniors don't have bank accounts). And I thought with much chagrin of having to go to a store where I was known, and counting out change ... particularly 115 pennies ... and let me tell you, the thought was embarrassing. And yet there are people (our contemporaries, or nearly so) who go through these soul-killing exercises every day.

So, I looked at the Wednesday paper
(cheating, cheating) and the grocery special inserts ... and lo and behold, I discovered one store (which I never patronize) in the immediate area which was offering several specials on 2 for $1 canned "mystery" meat, etc., and I thought: "I can go to that store!!! They don't know me and I'll never be back." (A luxury not enjoyed by many of the elderly....)

And so I went to that store, and bought four
cans of "processed" sausage (so healthy ... unknown animal and insect parts ... yech!!! ... low sodium ... haaaa!), two cans of pork 'n' beans (88 cents, and you don't want to know the provenance of that pork ... nor did I) and one loaf of the store's generic, really questionable white bread for $1.09. As I approached the checkouts, this sweet little girl stepped out and said she could take me at her register ... and I told her she would be sorry she offered.

Nevertheless, with great courtesy (it occurs
to me that she must see a lot of seniors in less than optimal circumstances in that store) she scanned my items and then began counting my change (to the great annoyance of a guy who had come behind me in line). That tally ... particularly the 115 pennies (which I insisted that she use before some of the other change, just in case I needed a dime or a nickel later ... for what???) ... was among the seemingly longest times of my life.... Face red, actually glowing and giving off heat I think, I escaped to my Prius (the guy who had been in line behind me looked at the car quizzically) ... and the experiment came to an end two days later ... just as I was beginning to run short of provisions again.

As Bette Davis said: "Old age is not for sissies." Nor apparently for those who weren't fortunate enough (admittedly some may have been short-sighted) to put enough away for retirement ... or for the period when they were no longer physically or mentally able to work. I've also read several studies recently which suggest that the Baby Boomers (of which I am one) who planned sensibly for retirement are going to be most unpleasantly surprised if they don't have the good sense to drop dead quickly enough.

Please spare me that some people "should have" earned more money ... or put more aside.... We all are not "created equal" ... not equally gifted as to intelligence and circumstance ... when it comes to being able to make a living. Working hard ... even three full-time jobs at minimum wage (which accounts for 24 hours, with no time at all to sleep or try to better oneself or interact with one's children) ... is not always enough, even if physically possible. And when you have children, particularly if you are a single working mother (not always by choice or caprice) and the question is whether to feed your children or save for retirement, guess which option will (and should) win out??? Or perhaps some did prepare as they "should have" (under assumptive but not necessarily realistic criteria) ... but then early onset Alzheimer's or some other debilitating condition robbed them of their ability to make reasonable decisions ... or exorbitant unforeseen medical bills wiped out carefully tended savings.... Some of us seem in real need of an apparently missing or dysfunctional compassion chip.... But I digress....

(Last minute sidebar: Just as I was about to publish this, after I wrote the above paragraph, I received e-notice of a New York Times op-ed piece on "Compassion Deficit Disorder." Seems to be a lot of that going around, in some rosy circles in particular....)



Little Noah on the patio (I know I've used this picture before, but he is hesitant to have pictures taken ... tries to hide from the camera ... so this will have to do....)

Good thoughts and wishes are gratefully accepted on behalf of Yahn and little Noah ... who I know is thankful for every good thing that comes his way.

I am just hoping we can get Noah into/through the fall, so we can go "dance" in the parks and run through the changing, falling leaves once the terrible heat breaks....
And lest anyone think I am not equally (or more) concerned about Yahn ... I am not having to contemplate euthanizing him ... anytime soon anyway.... (grin)

)O(

My Photo

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't looked at the blog in a while -- read your essay on Yahn & Noah -- hope they are both better. I have been keeping up with the heat there -- it has also been hot here but not that bad -- today is cooler -- have finally decided I DON'T like summer "dog days."

Got a kick out of your "senior shopping" -- guess a "kick" isn't really right -- it was very sad truly -- but enjoyed your expressions & adventures -- dang, sure hope we don't have to live like that -- if many of us become widows (yuck) maybe we can just join together in a big house & share expenses -- HA!!!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Pat, it's nice to have you back on the blog ... and thanks for the great comment! So glad you enjoyed the "adventures" ... which I am really hopeful will remain for us in the realm of the "possible" rather than tragedy of "reality"....

I must say that a bunch of us pooling our resources (if we are unfortunate enough to be widowed, and in "short money" circumstances) may definitely be the way to go.... I guess we can alternate who sits "shotgun" when we go to the store with our envelopes full of pennies.... (grin)

Thanks again for reading ... and commenting....

)O(

Anonymous said...

As one of the not quite dearly departed, may I suggest that this option may work for extended families not just you widows. I must admit that I have had visions of being placed in a "group home" before, but it usually had to do with advancing dementia.

Anonymous said...

SORRY YOU, YAHN, AND NOAH HAD A TOUGH WEEK!! IT IS DIFFICULT TO BREATHE WITH AIR POLLUTION, HEAT AND HARVESTING OF CORN,GRAINS,AND GRASS. I HAD TO HAVE 4 OF OUR 5 DOGS EUTHANZED IN THE LAST 10 YEARS. A DIFFICULT DECISION;BUT NECESSARY TO CUT SHORT THE PAIN AND SUFFERING EACH EXPERIENCED.

I HAD A GREAT VET IN HOUSTON WHO WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND SINCE 1976. HE WAS ALWAYS CARING. OUR SCHIPPERKE WAS A DIABETIC FOR THE LAST 18 MONTHS. WE HAD TO
GIVE INJECTIONS TWICE A DAY. HIS LIVER JUST GAVE OUT AND HE WOULD NOT EAT ANYTHING. HE WAS JUST OVER 10 YEARS OLD. OUR OTHER DOGS LIVE 15-17 YEARS. I CRIED AND IT WAS A GREAT LOSS FOR US.

ANIMALS GROW ON YOU.

I HOPE YAHN CAN GET SOME RELIEF AND BREATHE EASIER. OH YES, YOU WILL
FEEL MUCH BETTER IF YOU QUIT SMOKING.

MAY YOU HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Roland, thanks so much for your thoughts about Yahn and Noah ... and about me. Let me just assure you that I did quit smoking some time ago ... but I do miss it sometimes ... and I seem to have been fortunate enough to have avoided any major damage (knock wood).

I appreciate your sharing your story about your pets ... family members ... particularly Schipperke. I am sure his loss ... and the others ... were terribly difficult for you. Yes, we do get soooo attached to those loving little beings ... but they make our lives so much richer and more full of love....

Thank you for being a friend, and for reaching out here. You and your words are so appreciated....

Yahn, as always, your sense of humor ... "group home" indeed ... is wonderful....

)O(

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer,

your post brings to mind several thoughts that I can share. First of all, as you already know I am so glad that both Yahn and Noah ended the week on a much better note than they began the week. Jim and I were truly sorry that you guys didn't get to meet us for "Jersey Boys" on Thursday night. We felt a little guilty having such a good time when the two of you were missing it!

Needless to say, I am so glad that you were able to kick the habit of smoking some time ago. Having never smoked myself, I can only imagine how hard it is to give it up, and I am glad that I never had to suffer through that experience.

The plights of both the aging and the terminally ill are issues that I have thought about and discussed within our family for some time. I admire your willingness to be a part of the "experiment" and for sharing your experience. I think your phrase "soul killing exercises" sums it all up very nicely. In dealing with our elderly parents a few years ago, Jim and I received a very eye-opening education as we visited "nursing homes," assisted living facilities, and independent living facilities. It is frightening and sad to see the vast chasm that exists in available care for those who can pay and those who cannot and must rely on medicare and social security. Additionally, we learned about the importance of DNR orders, living wills, and hospice care. Amazingly, we were able to see first hand the lack of compassion among some health care providers who were so tied to "policy" that their actions brought about unecessary and extreme suffering of elderly patients. Luckily we also had first hand experiences with health care providers who chose to deal with the same issues with compassion and common sense. The point being that because we cannot rely on our doctors and others to do what is in our best interests as we age and/or become terminally ill we had better make sure that our families, friends, and even lawyers know without a doubt what we want for ourselves when the time comes.

Now, on a lighter note, the "exploding eggs" story is all to familiar to me. Recently, I put a pan of water on the stove so I could make tea. Unfortunately, I left the room for a "second", got side-tracked, and returned only when the smell of a burning pan brought me back to reality. Basically the pan had melted on the stove top! Even now, I hate to admit that story as I am sure my girls will use it as more evidence that their mom is over the hill, the edge or whatever!

One last note on the aging process--recently my cousin who is nearing 70 was asked to address a group on the subject of how she deals with aging. She told them that the way to not age is to be sure to look in the mirror every day. This will ensure that you never age because by looking at yourself every day, you will always look the same. Think about it!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, your comment is (as always) well-reasoned and well-stated ... and amusing, where it should be....

Several years ago, in addition to executing our wills, Yahn and I also executed (in the presence of a notary and three witnesses) a medical directive stating specifically and in great detail our wishes regarding medical treatment (or lack of same), should we become incapacitated mentally and/or physically at the end of our lives.

In addition to describing precisely what we do and don't want (no heroic measures, please!), we designated each other to ensure the execution (there's an awful lot of talk of "execution" here ... and no pun intended ... grin) of our wishes ... and if the designated one is unable or unwilling (a key phrase) to act on our behalf ... then we have designated an alternate (in our case, an attorney friend who I know will unhesitatingly and without tertiary considerations carry out what I/we have specified). I do think it is important to have such a document ... and to have someone who will act and not flinch when the time comes....

You are so right about the inequity between those who are "able to pay" and those who must rely on the compassion of the state ... an oxymoron....

I like the story about your cousin ... although I must say that in my case, every day when I look into the mirror there is always a bit of a shocked "Who is that OLD woman?" ... before reality sets in .... (grin)

)O(

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for all the support you have given me and Karen! Your web site is fantastic!

Wish the class of '62' would have a blog. Maybe they will someday.

I am going to try to be at the Childress Reunion in October. I think the class of' 62' is not responding to the reunion. I don't think we're even gonna have a dinner. May not be enough of us to have a class meeting. Maybe gas prices, maybe no interest...who knows!

But on your blog, you have pictures of the '63' class and pictures and letters from your classmates. Just a neat and interesting web site.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Larry, thanks so much for taking time to drop a note. You have been in the thoughts of many of us over the past weeks, and it is good to hear from you.

It's also nice to hear that you read and enjoy the blog ... and the pictures. Although our focus is on the Class of 1963, those of us who went to CHS at about the same time ... and certainly within the space of a number of years in the '50s and 60s ... had such similar experiences, and mutual friends, and so much in common from that special place and time that we are assuredly not exclusive! You and Roland and others are always welcome here.

We do hope to see you if you make it to the reunion in Childress. Please let us know so that we won't somehow miss connections....

Good thoughts and best wishes to you....

)O(

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading your most recent posts on Reflections. So sorry to hear about Yahn`s flare-up and your comments about little Noah brought tears to my eyes. Tell Yahn I wish him well and hope he beats his latest illness. I didn`t realize Noah is as old as you estimate. Also, he must be bound for dog heaven, as no telling how much hell he went thru in his early life, before he came to live with you and Yahn.

Peace.

Anonymous said...

I absorbed ever word of your blog entry...several times.. good subject. I have often considered that "AS WE AGE" would be a great title for a blog. I feel that so many of us are consumed with aspects of aging. REAL Aging, not just getting older. There is a difference.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Jim and Sheila, welcome back "home" to the blog ... we've missed you, but know that "life" sometimes gets in the way of other things....

Thank you both for your thoughts, and Jim, a special thanks for your kind thoughts about Noah.

Y'all come back soon ... and often!!!

)O(

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Shelia, it really is good to see you back on the blog! I agree that something related to aging would be a good topic for blogging. I haven't checked it out to see what is already out there. Some time ago I thought seriously about trying a blog that would address issues facing women and aging. I have no doubt that it would be high interest. Hey, you should do that!