Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Long Year's Journey to Reunion ... Regrets (I've Had a Few) ... and 千里之行,始于足下 ...


Carrie-movie-02.jpg carrie image by muchtomuch


Prom memories (from the movie Carrie, reproduced here citing "fair use" provisions of U.S. copyright law)

... or as my old friend Laozi said, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step (to borrow a title which I liked from the original Las Vegas reunion blog). Actually, a more correct translation from the original Chinese would be "The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet." Unfortunately, my Chinese is not sufficient to add (in brush-stroked characters) that any journey actually begins with the desire to embark upon it.... What comes after that goes under the heading of "means to end"....

[Sidebar: There are some who credit the "journey of a thousand miles" quote to Laozi's contemporary Confucius; however, my research seems to point indeed toward Laozi, a/k/a Lao Tzu, the "Old Master" instrumental in the establishment of, and revered by, the Taoist religion. But I digress....]


In two weeks a number (literally) of the Class of 1963 will gather again in Childress for its 45th reunion. At last headcount, there were approximately 20-25 of our classmates (our actual classmates ... not counting spouses and/or significant others who will accompany them) who indicated that either they will be there or might be there ... a little exercise in legal terminology illustrating (if you think about it) why it is so important to be cognizant of (and precise in) the meanings of the words you use ... and in your interpretation of words directed to or concerning you. Interestingly, the number of those who say they will or may attend is about the same as the number of those who were committed (to one degree or another) to attending the reunion if it had been held in Las Vegas, as it was originally conceived.

Nicki and I have been disappointed that even though we moved the reunion to Childress, partially in hopes that it would result in a larger turnout, the number remains essentially unchanged. There are some names common to both sign-up lists ... although some few have indicated that while they would attend a reunion in either Las Vegas or Childress, they would not travel to the other place for whatever reason. Some have said that the weekend of October 17-19 (as originally planned) would have been fine ... but there is some problem with the weekend of October 3-5 (designated by the Childress All-School Reunion Committee). Nicki and I have talked on more than one occasion about how little response we have had from those who actually live in Childress, or within a few miles thereof. So, truly immutable or unforeseen circumstances notwithstanding (and there are always some) ... the bottom line is that for the most part, those who want to be there will have found a way to manage it ... and those who don't, won't.

According to legends, Laozi leaves China on his water buffalo.

Laozi leaves China on his water buffalo.

Most of those who've said they are not coming have indicated some other pressing engagement. Some are apparently afraid they may be confronted with an idea or ideology with which they don't agree. And some have also said that they don't want to come because they don't much care to revisit those high school days when we all were so young, and insecure, and needy and/or desirous of approval and acceptance (even some of those we considered the popular cool people who comprised the top of the social food chain) ... or who feel they may be ignored and left to sit by themselves at a table in K-Bob's or the Elks Club. It is worth noting a bit of wisdom expressed by Bertrand Russell, who sagaciously wrote: Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd. Sad to think that some still feel that fear 45 years later on the long road out of Childress (with a nod to the Eagles).

I've written previously on the blog that not all my memories from high school are happy ones. And yet, over the nearly half-century since May 1963, as I've learned and grown and pondered and embraced my still-evolving spiritual beliefs, learned to listen to the vibrations and the resonances, I have found great benefit (and balm) in being able to put the bad things into perspective ... to acknowledge the immaturity and the sometimes mindless, contagious wolf-pack cruelty common to those adolescent years ... to come to grips with the fact that some of my own actions were causal catalysts ... to understand the unthinking, uncaring and occasionally vicious attitudes of some, and to apprehend that some went along not because of meanness or indifference on their parts, but because they themselves were afraid to go against the herd ... to recognize and regret those instances when I was less than charitable to another wandering, groping soul ... and to forgive not only those people who hurt me, through acts of commission or omission, but also to forgive myself for all the things I did wrong.

I have learned that sometimes bad things happen to us for necessary reasons ... that even if the events are painful, they are meant to (and do, if we are wise) teach us life lessons that we must learn before we can successfully traverse the
terra incognita between the lives ... that we must transcend before we can ascend. Understanding and forgiveness are among the most important of life's lessons, I believe ... and I don't think one can achieve forgiveness (of oneself or of others) until one has become a frequent flier (with reward miles!) in the realms of understanding and regret and empathy.

Since I got over myself ... stopped nursing old hurts both real and imaginary, or sometimes just inflated by the hot air of adolescent angst ... refused the mantle of the victim ... started contemplating and comprehending that some of those who hurt me may have done so because they in fact were in mortal pain from their own demons ... I have found a "new" world of fond memories ... memories to be cherished and cultivated ... memories to drive away the dark nights and the dark hours and the dark thoughts and strip the curtains from the metaphoric windows of the mind to allow the light to nourish and quicken the dormant soil and quiescent flowers of my soul.

On occasion I have been tempted to regret that I did not reach this "enlightenment" sooner, that I let so much time elapse ... but then I know, with a complete, deep certainty ... that I learned (and am still learning) this life's lessons when I was supposed to ... that subject to my own
choices and the choices of others, things happened as they were supposed to happen, as they had to happen ... that I was incapable of absorbing the lessons before I did and could not have learned many of them without the accompanying pain ... and that rather than regret not learning sooner, I should rejoice that I learned at all ... that it was not too late when knowledge came, too far along in this existence to become applicable. I have been blessed by that knowledge ... and by the new "old" friends I have found, and the old "old" friends I have rediscovered ... and I still anticipate reunion with those with whom I may yet "reconnect".

A Taijitu, the main symbol of the Taoist spirituality.
A Taijitu, the main symbol of the Taoist spirituality.

I don't know whether you were the teacher's pet or the class goat ... the homecoming queen or the prom king ... maybe one of those like Janis Ian, who "learned the truth" At Seventeen and "knew the pain of Valentines that never came" ... wore a letter sweater (your own or one bestowed by your boyfriend for affection and/or services rendered) or envied those who did ... made good grades or barely squeaked by (perhaps because they didn't know much about dyslexia and other learning disabilities then) ... were "good" or "bad" (as defined by the times) or more likely "confused" and just desperate to fit in ... a "nice" guy or a James Dean wannabe. High school marked a significant rite of passage in all our lives ... and we each are deserving (and in need sometimes) of a congratulatory and/or accepting hug, an elevation of spirit generated by a bright welcoming smile, the quiet benediction inherent in the knowledge that we successfully ran that gauntlet of taunts and insults and uncertainty ... and we survived to tell the tale! We survived ... mostly better, and wiser I think (I fervently hope) for the experience.

We're not in high school any more, people. We've all traveled different life paths, with diverse experiences, to become the people we are today. While it is likely that most of us have retained some of the "core" essentials of those adolescents we were at CHS, I firmly believe that our life lessons have honed and burnished our present personalities, our souls if you will, like a skilled diamond cutter ... although unfortunately, in a few instances, it must be acknowledged that the master jeweler apparently struck the stone poorly and left it fractured, shattered ... bereft of light and knowledge and radiant enlightenment. In fairness to the master jeweler, it should also be noted that some stones themselves may have harbored deep, hidden flaws rendering them incapable of being polished or refined. Those unfortunates, I fear, will have many more journeys, much longer than a thousand miles...

A reunion can be and should be a celebration of all our life journeys and the sometimes quite divergent roads that we chose ... as well as a joyous commemoration and remembrance of birthday parties and Birthday Clubs and Friday Night Lights and Saturday nights dragging the highway, or date nights at the old Palace Theater ... a shared commonality of feeling and circumstance, and a sharing of all the singularly unique experiences which we bring to reconnection ... an ephemeral eulogy to our former selves and times, and an encomium and festive appreciation for all we have lived through, and learned through, to reach the caravanserai where we choose to pause temporarily to rest and refresh for our further travels.


The Three Pure Ones.

The Three Pure Ones

A reunion is not a place to take offense over small, petty, long-ago or even contemporary disagreements, or perceived (possibly erroneously perceived) slights ... or to belligerently insist that everyone march to the beat of one particular drummer (or another). If we have grown and are wise, we will have learned that everyone does not have to look like us, or think like us, or believe like us, or act like us ... that we all traverse this world, this life, all our many lives, as we should, as we are supposed to, so that we may all reach the state of understanding and grace required to move on to our next existence ... and that those who are dogmatic, and dictatorial and seek to bend others to their will and mindset ... even these will eventually arrive at satori ... but it just may take a while.... (grin) And in the meantime, the rest of us can practice understanding, empathy, acceptance, sympathy and certainly pity for the difficult journeys these people will have ... because they've got a lot of livin' (and lives!) to do.... (Cheshire grin)

All of that having been said ... and here I am reminded of the Rolling Stones singing "You can't always get what you want" ... it is with regret that I must write that I will not be able to attend the reunion in Childress. Sometimes, despite the best laid plans and great desire, the universe has other things in store for us. In my case, Yahn's doctor has told him that because of some health problems he has had recently, she doesn't believe he should make the trip ... and I cannot, should not and will not leave him home alone. I had been looking forward to seeing many of you ... but I must remember that I have been blessed to come together with many of you over the past year (and years), and that with joss (luck), there will be more such opportunities in the future.

I have tried my best to think of some reasonable scenario which would allow me to get away for a couple of days ... and Yahn himself has encouraged me to attend the reunion ... but in the end, it comes down to the fact that he does not need to be left alone right now ... and so my decision is made, and clear. Of course there is disappointment ... but also the certainty that I am doing what I should be doing at this time, in this season.


So, on Friday evening, October 3, I will lift a glass in salute to the CHS Class of 1963 ... to all of those who attend the reunion, and all who don't, and all who are no longer able to attend ... and I will smile at the good memories. And that slight disturbance in the air around you will be my whispered wishes to all of you that you may have the very best of everything in this "autumn" of our lives, and in the future ... as I recall Mark Twain's words that "Death is the starlit strip between the companionship of yesterday and the reunion of tomorrow." L'chaim!

)O(

My Photo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are much more forgiving than I am and I suppose that makes you a better person than me. I think some of the horrible things that were said about you unforgivable much less forgettable. You were my friend then as well as now and I haven't forgotten what was said or who said it. Guess you are the better person...........

I still get upset over what you went through.....

Jennifer Johnston said...

Lynn, I ♥ you so much, dear friend. Thanks so much for your thoughts, and your support....

)O(

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Several times over the past year, I have heard Jennifer say that she has been cursed or blessed with her "infernal memory." It would not be possible to have talked to her or read her posts without being astounded with the wealth of memories and information that she has stored away in her mind. She has truly been the keeper of our history as students at Childress High School and the keeper of our history as we have made our way through the labrynth of the world events that have touched our lives over the past 45 years as we have evolved from our youth to the autumn of our lives. I continue to hold her and her talent for remembering and sharing those memories with us over the past year in great awe. I freely admit that I, on the other hand, have been blessed or cursed with my total lack of memory and recall for the events that I experienced in high school and to some degree beyond those years. I believe that for the most part I have chosen to look back at that time with fondness and a recollectiion of bits and pieces of the good times that I so enjoyed with my friends and acquaintences in high school.

Today and over the last year, I have been forced to come face to face with the reality that too many of my former classmates were not able to take away the fond memories and happy times that I apparently experienced. I say "apparently" because I realize that there must have been unhappy times and painful memories that I have perhaps chosen to expunge from my much magligned memory.

Today, I can't help but feel a profound sadness when I am faced with the overwhelmingly hurtful memories of my peers in high school. Along with the sadness, I feel "guilt" and all the discomfort that comes along with it. I think oh what I would give to go back to that time and do it all over. This time I would speak out if I saw someone being cruelly abused by ridicule and other shameful acts. This time I would do more to reach out to shy classmates who seemed to live on the fringes of our cliques and groups, to seek ways to include them in my life. I would look for ways to right the wrongs to my fellow classmates that were committed all around me. This time I would seek to listen rather than to speak. This time I would try to put others before myself. This time I would try to look beyond outward appearances and search for the hurting individual living inside. This time, I would not fail to recognize the unique and valuable person that your were then and would be today.

Or would I? Could I? It is much easier to look back at those times from my vantage point of today. It really is much easier to be me at 62 than to be me at 15, 16, or 17. The nature of a teen is for the most part to be one of self centeredness. Even today the driving force in those years is to be popular, to be part of a group or gang, to go along a almost any cost. Sadly the high school atmosphere hasn't changed all that much.

Perhaps one of the most disturbing things that I have learned over the year is that there were and still are deep wells of hurt and torment that exist not just in the acquaintances of my past but in the people that I considered to be my close friends. The same is to be said for those classmates that we considered at the time to "have it all." To learn now, that they were just as insecure and just as introverted as I was. To learn that they do not harbor good memories of those years at CHS comes as a surprise for me tinged with regret and sadness that we were so good at ignoring the pain of our friends or that they were so good at hiding that pain from us.

Since I can't go back and play any part in correcting the pain and loneliness that was suffered by way too many, I have to acknowledge the hurt and pain of those for whom it was such a dreadful time. I have to say I am truly sorry for the part I played in that time even if it was only by wearing blinders that didn't allow me see, for closing my ears to your silent cries for help, and most of all for the sin of total selfishness that impacted my ability to think beyond my own feelings.

In her post Jennifer has written so beautifully the words that I needed to hear and take to heart, I want to reprint them here.

"On occasion I have been tempted to regret that I did not reach this "enlightenment" sooner, that I let so much time elapse ... but then I know, with a complete, deep certainty ... that I learned (and am still learning) this life's lessons when I was supposed to ... that subject to my own choices and the choices of others, things happened as they were supposed to happen, as they had to happen ... that I was incapable of absorbing the lessons before I did and could not have learned many of them without the accompanying pain ... and that rather than regret not learning sooner, I should rejoice that I learned at all ... that it was not too late when knowledge came, too far along in this existence to become applicable. I have been blessed by that knowledge ... and by the new "old" friends I have found, and the old "old" friends I have rediscovered ... and I still anticipate reunion with those with whom I may yet "reconnect".

Thank you Jennifer, I will be blessed if I can remember these words and take them with me in this season of my life.

I shall miss you at the reunion, but I won't forget the lessons you have taught me this last year via the blog and our visits. I look forward to many more.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, once again your words ... your heartfelt eloquence ... have brought tears to my eyes ... the best kind of tears, cleansing in purity and warming to the soul. I say without reservation or equivocation that you are truly one of the best people I have had the privilege to know ... to come to know in this autumnal season of our lives, when life is slower but more beautiful and meaningful, I think, than in the adolescent exuberance of "spring" and the fever heat (and sometimes torpor) of "summer".

When you created the blog, and I began to write for it, I took your founding principle (stated on the masthead) to heart, and now I quote you:

"As we reach certain points in our lives, we often find comfort in reaching out to people who can relate to experiences that we have had or are having and to those who share our memories of a particular time in our life. Forty-five years have passed since we shared the stage in the old Childress High School auditorium and became the recently graduated Class of 1963. Let's spend some time getting re-acquainted reflecting on the way we were and the way we are today......"

I interpreted then, and believe now, that the true "gift" ... the "miracle" of the blog ... is that it does allow us to reach out to all our classmates ... to relate to and reflect on ALL the things that we shared, and that we may still share, including of necessity the good, the bad and the ugly ... to give voice and acknowledgment and succor perhaps to ALL those who did not have those things then, and to acknowledge that likely none of us acquitted ourselves nobly (certainly not all the time) when perhaps we wish we had ... but noting that it is still not too late to learn ... and perhaps even now to pass along some of our "lessons" to children and grandchildren. I am fond of the old Chinese proverb that it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness ... and if each of us lights only ONE candle (and maybe more) what a lovely light that will give!

I love talking about the wonderful memories I have ... and have certainly done so frequently on the blog. But I do think that in order to genuinely understand and celebrate the people we have become, it is sometimes necessary to revisit ALL of the experiences that we have had ... in junior high and high school, and since then. The blog gives us that facility, and ability ... a truly welcoming forum for all our diverse experiences....

I thank you for the designation "keeper of our history" and will do my best to live up to that ... bearing in mind of course that history is not history, or efficacious as a reference, if it only reports the good and glosses over the bad. Only by being inclusive of all events and "seasons" does it become valid ... and valuable ... history.

I too will miss seeing you ... and others ... at the reunion. Still, I feel sure that we will have many more talks ... in e-mail, on the blog and in person ... in the days and years to come. You are a true treasure and I am blessed to have been given such a gift in any season of my life....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jennifer. I just read your latest addition to the blog, and I feel as though I've been hit by a truck! You won't be there????!!!???? I'm so sorry!!! You've shared so much with us in the blog (and hopefully even forgiven some of us our shyness - I've always said I'd just as soon eat dirt as to have the spotlight on me, and you've been such a driving force in the whole attempt. I thank you and commend you. I certainly understand the reasons you will not be there - Yahn needs you, and you sound like such a team that the needs of the team far surpass the needs of those of us you haven't seen in decades. But I will still miss you.

I'm not sure if the "negative" comments were from school days or more recent events. In my cloud of gratitude at "hearing" about so many people that I've treasured in memory for so many years, I've not been aware of any negative vibes. I simply thank you for all the work you've done - I appreciate you more than I can begin to express.

You and Nicki have so bravely put yourselves out on a limb for all of us. When I wrote our "Celebrating the Journey" entry, I read it to Robert and quizzed him over it, trying to balance it all with honesty on a journey that has sometimes been really rough but still joyful and worth the effort. My attempt gave me new appreciation for what you and Nicki have done and wonderment that your posts sound so fluid as though they simply flowed from your gel pen. I don't know how you do it, but I marvel at your gift!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Ah Driscilla ... you are no slouch in the "bringing a tear to the eye department" either. I so appreciate your thoughts and your wonderful compliments, and I am sure Nicki does too.

One of the most marvelous things (for me) about the blog is that it is such great testimony to the really good people who've grown from those shy, scared teenagers who walked the halls at CHS so long ago. I believe it is truly life affirming.

I can relate to your struggle with putting yourself (and Robert) "out there" ... but I am so glad you did, and those who follow the blog are richer for your sharing your life. We so hope you'll continue to leave your thoughts whenever the spirit moves ... I have enjoyed everything you've had to say.

You are one of the people I will most miss seeing at the reunion ... but at least we are reconnected here in the ether. Perhaps one day before long Yahn's health will permit him to travel, and we can work on a mini-reunion in Lubbock. It would truly be a pleasure to see you again and to meet your husband.

Thanks again for your contributions, and your support.

)O(

Anonymous said...

I remember one girl in the Class of 1962 who was treated so badly. She had a "nervous breakdown" and her parents were so upset they moved away. I remember one of our friends who got so upset at another class member that she wanted to beat the girl up, just because one of the boys liked the other girl ... and that girl was a lot smaller. I remember that I stood up for the other girl to our friend, even though I didn't particularly like the girl, and that is the only time my mother ever said she was proud of me. God only knows how she found out, but she did. I've always wondered why people can't just say "I'm sorry."