Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Zen of Studebaker Maintenance and the Tao (道) of Tuffy Maddox ....

Since I posted "Blue Room, Hot Wheels ...", I have talked with a few of my old (!) group, the N-9 (always a delight), who chided me with: "Why didn't you talk about" this or that memory. I assured them that it was not that the memory had escaped me; rather, I held back on a number of stories in hopes that some others would join the conversation. At this posting, they are still hesitating to add their voices ... but I will cajole and/or prod them into it sooner or later ... Linda Kay, Raenell, Jobey and Lynn, at least.... Lynn was actually in the class behind us, but she ran (and drove) with us, so her memories are also memories pertaining to the Class of '63. So, let's hop in the old Studebaker and head once more down Memory Lane (not a bad place to visit).

If it transfers (I am not as familiar with the photo aspects of the blog as Nicki is), you should immediately below this paragraph see a car that looks like mine did (just visualize pink and tan). More memories follow the photo, or the blank space, so just scroll down.
'
I remember the time that Lynn and I were playing "spider" on 287, out of sheer boredom ... and because we were both a bit crazed by the paucity of entertainment in Childress. "Spider" ... something I had read about somewhere ... involved my putting my feet up on the dashboard and steering the car, while Lynn got in the floorboard to work the gas and brake pedals. (I told you we were desperate for something to do.) You can imagine the sight that would have been presented as I "motivated" (with a nod to Chuck Berry) up and down the streets. We actually completed one drag of the highway and Main, and were headed back to the park (where I was thinking it might be prudent to resume normal driving) when the light at 12th Street turned red ... and Glen Sanders, who was ahead of us, actually STOPPED for the light. I started screaming "Brake! Brake" at Lynn, but she didn't hit it hard enough, and we rolled into Glen's pickup. Fortunately, there was no damage done to either vehicle ... and by the time Glen (sometimes known as "Teedle") got out to look, Lynn had scrambled back into the passenger seat. Glen asked why I didn't see him stop, but before I could stammer out some sort of explanation, Mike (Mikey) Pennell, who had been riding with Glen, said: "Well, when I looked back, Jennifer had her feet on the dashboard and Lynn wasn't even in the car!" Fortunately, those were less litigious days, and Lynn and I escaped (somewhat) chastened and definitely wiser ... at least as far as playing "spider" was concerned.

I remember the time that Raenell had a slumber party, and at a certain point in the evening (the witching hour?) les girls decided it would be great fun to sneak into the City Park swimming pool and take a midnight dip. The fun was spoiled by "Tuffy" Maddox on one of his rounds through the park, and though most of us were able to escape into the surrounding areas, Linda Sally was busted by Tuffy, who was doing his best old "Dodge Sheriff" shtick as he took her down to the police station and called her parents. Once Linda's parents started calling the other slumber party participants' parents, we all had some "'splainin'" to do.

Then there was the time I almost killed Clarence Darter (who taught Social Studies at CHS our Senior year) ... or at least contributed to a potential premature coronary. Lynn and I partnered in summer "Driver's Ed" classes, and poor Clarence was our instructor, in a "standard" shift car. Lynn showed her driving skills first (her Dad had taught her in their old pickup), and then it was my turn. Unfortunately, I had NO skills with a standard shift, and every time I tried to let out on the clutch, it threw all of us forward. It's amazing Clarence didn't go through the windshield. I eventually mastered the technique, but I'll wager that was the longest six weeks of Clarence's life! When Lynn went with Yahn and I to Ireland in 2003, we rented a stick shift car. However, in Ireland, they drive on the "wrong" side of the road (admittedly, to them it is the "right" side), the steering wheel was in what we would think of as the passenger seat, and the stick shift had to be maneuvered with the LEFT hand. A bit tricky at first, but I couldn't help thinking of Clarence, and how proud (and amazed!) he would have been.

I remember LOTS of graduation parties, for our graduation from both junior high and high school. Do people still do those things? Are they just confined to small towns? Or did they die with the 60s? Anyway, ours were a lot of fun, and I SO remember co-opting our hosts' pianos and playing duets with Linda Kay, while all of us wailed at the top of our lungs to "Heart and Soul," "26 Miles," "Little Darlin'" and some others. My husband Yahn will tell you that I have a particular gift: namely that I can remember the lyrics to most of the songs I have ever heard or liked, with the downside being that I have a decided tendency to sing off key, and to actually get everyone else singing off key as well.

I remember the "Teen Club" initiation the summer before our Freshman year. For some strange reason, we thought it was an honor to be asked to join, although the club itself did absolutely NOTHING once the yearly initiation was over. Eating lard ice cream cones, chewing tobacco (and nearly always having to swallow the juice), schlepping our buckets and baby dolls, and taking a raw egg (down the throat) every time we broke one of the "rules" ... a pretty big field. My "Big Sister" was Brenda Evans, twin of Linda, and every time I addressed the "wrong" sister, I got an egg. Paula Leach took the record number of eggs, because she just couldn't stop talking to boys. Our hair was very shiny that year, though.

OK, people. We basically lived American Graffiti. I've got more stories, and I know you do, too. Nicki and I are developing carpal tunnel syndrome. Somebody, say something!!!!! It will be well-received, I assure you.

7 comments:

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer,

I loved your title as always! I just have one thing to say and this is to my 2 daughters who check us out periodically. One of them actually calls me "Blog Woman" now.

Kim and Jami, After having read Jennifer's Post and spider adventures and etc. PLEASE promise me that you won't reveal any more of YOUR teenage stories that I might not already know until I am dead and gone!! My heart wouldn't take it.

Love, Mom

P.S. Good job Jennifer!

Anonymous said...

Huh? I don't know what you are talking about, MUTHERRR!

I was the innocent one. Kim is the one with the stories, not me. :D

Anonymous said...

Okay, Jenn, I've got a tale to tell. Jennifer drove with a vengence for speed and thus scaring anyone riding with her close to their graves. I think that is why we were together so much in that old studebaker. I didn't scare and was as crazy behind a wheel as she was. When someone would join us and sit in her back seat the gleam would sparkle in her eye and off we'd go. I know that to this day, no one has ever circled the city park anywhere close to the rate of speed that we did. If you recall we could go all the way around the back side of the park in those days and she fishtailed back and forth around the trees with the gas peddle floored as far as it would go. She scared one teenage boy so bad that he literally wet his pants. I won't name names - he knows who he is - lol. I know that God rode with us many a night or no doubt we'd be dead.

In Jenn's car and in my parents pickup and mercury many a time we became airborne going over thrill hill. I can't believe we were such daredevil idiots.

Lynn Purcell Durham

Jennifer Johnston said...

Ah, Lynn ... you HAVE to admit, though, that it (the "hell drive", as Hugh Gayle Frith ... CHS Class of 1960 ... called it once) was an effective way to get rid of people we were tired of riding around with, who actually seemed to have concern for life and limb!! You and I were like a lot of teenagers ... we thought we were absolutely IMMORTAL and that nothing could hurt us, let alone kill us! For those trying to fill in the "blank" in Lynn's post, the teenage boy she referred to was NOT Hugh Gayle ... he actually went on two or three circuits of the park lake.

I also remember the time Lynn was driving the Studebaker and cut the turn-around through the Dairy Mart too close, completely caving in the driver's side of the car on the immovable steel pole that held the Dairy Mart sign. Lynn was in a panic that her parents would find out, and accompanied me home, where she threw herself (tearfully) on my grandfather's mercy, and vowed to pay him back a little at a time for the damage if he would just not tell her parents. Papa just sighed his "oh, durn" sigh ... but then forgave Lynn (who he always liked), forgave the debt and fixed the car at his own expense. In hindsight, we probably shouldn't have gotten off so easily, but at the time we were greatly relieved and thankful.

One other night, Lynn and I drove over to Quanah, just to get out of Childress for a while. It was only past "the point of no return" on our way back that we registered that we had forgotten to gas up the Studebaker before we left. The gas gauge was registering BELOW empty. Lynn told me to switch places with her, difficult to do in a moving car, but we managed it, and then she proceeded to kick the car to its top speed and started swinging the car wildly side-to-side on the road. I asked what the HECK she thought she was doing, and she said she was trying to slosh the gas back and forth to get more out of it!!! We literally coasted into the outskirts of Childress and made it to the service station (Phillips 66, I think, at the time) that sat next to the El Rancho Motel. I don't recall EVER being so glad to be back in Childress!!!!

I was told some time ago that I am "protected" in this life ... and it would certainly seem so, given the hell rides, the incident(s) on Thrill Hill, the return from Quanah, and other incidents which have not YET been revealed.

Jennifer Johnston said...

'Nother comment about the Tao (path or way) of Tuffy. Although he could be really hard at times, he did give us some breaks here and there. Just ask the boys who let the air out of a bunch of tires one night, while Tuffy patiently and surreptitiously followed them and watched them do it. Then, rather than arresting the guys, Tuffy made them go back to each car and pump up the tires with a hand pump ... ouch! Talk about the punishment fitting the crime! And, I will never forget the sight of him driving around in his patrol car with his little grandson, whom he loved dearly, by his side.

One of the last times I was in Childress, I noticed that the playground at the City Park is now named for Tuffy.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer,

Since you mentioned Hugh Gayle Frith, I thought I would add an update that some of you might not know. Hugh Gayle's daughter, Leslie is now a principal at an elementary school here in Amarillo. She is a lovely woman with gorgeous red hair and the nicest person ever. Her mom, Brenda, is the program director for student health services here in Amarillo, also. It is always good to see them!

Nicki

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, thank you so much for giving us an update on Hugh Gayle's daughter and her mother. It is believed in some cultures that to invoke the name of someone who has died literally brings that person ethereally back among the living, even for just a short time. I conjured Hugh Gayle when I wrote of him ... his red hair, his wonderful smile, his good and gentle soul. He was truly one of the "good" guys, and to remember him even for a few moments brought light into my life.

The last "news" I had about Hugh Gayle was many years ago, at the time of his sad, untimely death. But then he "came back" again when I read your words about Leslie and Brenda. It is sweet to acknowledge this continuity of his life, indeed the continuity of all our lives, through the remembrances of those who have known and loved us, and in communion with those who we have known and loved.

A spiritual experience, to be sure.