Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Best Friends Forever (BFF)

Over the years I have made many friends no matter where we have gone. I have co-worker friends from the various places that I have worked and some have lasted--some haven't. We have great friends that share the common factor of having raised our children together through schools and extra-curricular activities. Then there are neighbor friends, church friends, and friends that don't fit in any category except they are fun to be with. However, perhaps the most lasting friends are those who fit into that special place in our hearts and in our memory known as our former classmates sometimes as far back as elementary school. They are those who have known us longer and perhaps better than anyone else. They have seen us at our best and sometimes our worst and like us anyway. They are the ones that we have sometimes neglected for a lifetime and are still glad to see us and take us back to share whatever time we give them again.

Against my will, my parents moved my brothers and me to Childress the summer before my sophomore year. I was so distraught and being a 15 year old girl, I was certain that my life was over. I honestly can't remember how it all evolved, but some how that summer, I found myself embraced by a group of girls just my age who welcomed me into their world. The next three years become some of the very best of my life. I will never forget the slumber parties with Bettye's tuna fish sandwiches, reading all the "good" parts of Lady Chatterly's Lover and other books not to be found in our school library, dragging main, hanging out at the Dairy Mart, and the drive-inn. Somehow, even though I can't remember all of the details of those times, it is still pretty easy to conjure up the feeling of belonging that made my high school years a time to cherish. Sadly, I am well aware that not everyone had my experience of being part of a group and feeling accepted. For some of us it just didn't happen like that for whatever reason, and I know I was one of the lucky ones. I don't know why but I am eternally grateful to Clara, Bettye, Dian, Pat and Arlyna. Thanks guys and I love you!

Someone recently told me that because she had not been able to keep in touch with people from Childress that they had all become strangers. This gave me something to ponder so I went to my pondering partner, Jim. I asked him what he thought about this and I like his answer. He said that for some reason when he sees former classmates from Childress, it is as if it is 1960 again and that becomes the starting point for going forward. It is as if he picks up a conversation from the past and all is right with the world. So, now is our chance to pick up the conversation, share the stories and step back a bit to a very different time in our lives.

Stepping back to that time in 1960, when my parents dragged me kicking and screaming to our new home in Childress, they stopped in at the Highway Cafe that very first night for dinner. Sitting in the booth across from my family was a man who sold insurance that my dad had previously met on a trip to Childress . Sitting with this insurance man was his son. Introductions were made and I was grossed out that my parents had introduced me to a BOY FROM CHILDRESS! Would the horror of that day never end! I suppose I was a bit dramatic. That was the night I met Jim Wilcoxson and the rest is history.

My mother loved to tell that story until the day she died. That was how I met my "BFF".
Nicki

2 comments:

CLARA ROBINSON MEEK said...

What a great story about meeting Jim! I never heard that before.
You are right about old friends and acquaintances. No matter how much time elapses, you just pick up like it's 1963. It feels so comfortable---like your favorite pair of pants.
We girls: you, Bettye, Dian, Pat, Arlyna and I had some wonderful times. I always took it for granted that everyone was involved in a group of some kind. I see how you must have been horrified at moving away from the known to the unknown. I'm glad you fell right in with us!

Jennifer Johnston said...

We were the Nine ... the Naughty Nine, as we so daringly styled ourselves back in those days at CHS: Linda Kay Bridges (Cook), Raenell Wynn (Smith), Paula Leach (Schubarth), JoAnn Neel (Lathram), Shirley Neel (Cromartie), Pat Davenport (Shapiro), Linda Sally (Doyal), Lynn Purcell (Durham), and me. Some of us went to grade school together, and all of us were together at CJHS and CHS. Our sister Paula left us in May 2002, and we were blessed to be able to all come together one last time as "The Nine" a few months before her death. We met for dinner at K-Bob's in Childress, and were also joined by Dana Purcell (Morris), Imogene Pannell (Murray), Joe Don Hopkins, Gary Hassell, Jimmy Smith (Rae's husband), Pat's husband Alan, and my husband Yahn.

Naughty Nine Story Alert!!! The faint of heart or just generally disinterested should leave (or skip down) here. The summer before our Junior year, I was having a slumber party in my grandparents' back yard. We girls had decided on the venue of the big back yard because we knew all too well that anyplace where there were several teenage girls late at night would also be the place "where the boys are." Certainly the great outdoors would facilitate socializing much more than remaining inside the house. Just after midnight, our plan proved its efficacy as there were a dozen or more really cool guys who had joined us. We were all enjoying Cokes, cameraderie and flirting when, suddenly, we heard the side door open. I have never seen boys move that fast, before or since, as they ran to hide behind the back fence, made of split redwood planks, which allowed a view of the back yard through the planks. We hurriedly threw blankets over two of the guys who couldn't make it to the fence, and two of us sat on them. When my mother came into view a few moments later, she had (fortunately) forgotten her glasses, so she didn't notice the lumpy blankets. Unfortunately, she had come outside to check on us girls in her shorty nightgown, which the bright, full moon rendered diaphanous. She then sat down and chatted with us for about half an hour, which seemed a lot longer, occasionally turning this way and that while conversing, which simply afforded different views of her attributes. Finally, she left us, the boys came out of hiding, and I spent the rest of the evening pondering my options for moving far, far away to escape my abject humiliation. After half a century, it never fails that when the girls and I get together, someone will tell this story, which will probably live as long as we do.

Since Paula died, the rest of the girls and I have tended and grown our bonds of friendship so that they are deeper and stronger than they ever were. We are, and ever will be, "The Nine."

In October 2001, a group of former CHS classmates who had newly re-engaged via e-mail enjoyed a Bobcat Saturday night in Wimberley, Texas. Present on that occasion were Joe Don, Mike Spradley, Jim Spradley, Sr. (Mike's dad), Jeff Jeffers (CHS 1960) and his wife, Clara Robinson Meek, Sheila Davis Martinez, Yahn and yours truly. We took over a bed and breakfast and had all day and evening (and breakfast!) to reminisce and share stories and pictures, which was even more precious and meaningful in those frightening and uncertain days after September 11. We even placed a call to John Danner (CHS 1960) in Cebu, Philippines and got to catch up with him. Co-opting the entire bed and breakfast proved to be a great idea, and I highly recommend it for such mini-reunions.