Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Monday, August 27, 2007

Blue Room, Hot Wheels, Purple Prose and the No. 4 Chili Cheeseburger ...

Memories ... shards of the past to reassemble into a semblance of the former whole ... evoked to bring a smile, a laugh, a tear ... sometimes a red face as adolescent peccadilloes and embarrassments are conjured ... mulled and savored and then (sometimes reluctantly, sometimes mercifully) consigned to rest again, just beneath the surface of consciousness until recalled.

In case you haven't guessed, this post is devoted to (random) memories, of Childress, and of the Class of 1963. It is my hope that these diverse remembrances will light the corners of your minds (as Marilyn and Alan Bergman wrote), and encourage you to leave your comments, or your own reminiscences, or both.

I remember the Blue Room, started by Leeman Weir (Class of 1960) and some of his buddies so that there would be someplace for high school kids to go, besides dragging endlessly up and down the streets. I have no idea how Leeman talked his parents into it, but they must have had the proverbial patience of Job, as herds of teenagers swarmed into and out of their home in the evenings, sometimes as they were eating dinner. There was a free jukebox in the room, and blue lights (duh!), and we could dance and talk ... how utterly COOL it all was. One of the biggest memory triggers for me has always been the music of the mid-50s through 1963, and it generally takes only a few notes or a line of lyrics to take me back. [Ooops! According to a "Comment" left by Tom Higley, the Blue Room actually dates back to Evelyn Weir, ca. 1953. I didn't know that and appreciate the correction.]

I remember the cars, and how thrilled some of us were to have our own wheels. I drove a 1957 Studebaker President, tan and pink (eeek!) and yes, with fins!!! Pat Davenport had an old Ford, which she persuaded her father to paint University of Texas orange ... although someone with a pink and tan car is hardly in any position to make value judgments on car colors. Others borrowed their parents' cars, and I remember taking up collections of change (nickels, dimes, quarters) to put gas back into those cars before they were returned home. Of course, gas was only about 25 cents a gallon, unless there was a gas war, when it sometimes dropped under 20 cents. I remember having my first brush with mortality when a group of us girls were riding in the back of Glen Sanders' pickup, and Lynn Purcell and I almost bounced out after Glen hit "Thrill Hill" at about 80 m.p.h.

Like Nicki, I remember surreptitiously reading Lady Chatterley's Lover ... banned in Boston, but sneaked at slumber parties ... although after Peyton Place was published and consumed under covers ca. 1958, Lady Chatterley seemed a bit on the prim side.

I remember the No. 4 Chili Cheeseburger at the Dairy Mart ... and I have never found its equal ... though I can't be absolutely certain that it was REALLY as good as my mind says it was. The No. 3 was a Chiliburger (no cheese), and the No. 2 was the Hickory Burger. For the life of me, I can't remember what the No. 1 was, unless it was just a regular burger, with or without cheese. If anyone can fill in this blank, I will be most appreciative. I also remember riding around with the girls, and stopping at the DM for cool libations ... trying to see if we could "stump" the staff with some totally made-up concoctions. One I remember was the "cherry vanilla cream lime phosphate" ... which they dutifully fixed and had the carhop serve ... although to be honest, we never knew if it was actually a "cherry vanilla" whatever, or just something they had made up in response to our silly, wholly invented request.

I remember a group of us sitting in Frances Long's Home Ec cooking class during our Freshman year, crying as "Teen Angel" played on the radio.

I remember Paula Leach and I flying high on the trampoline on the Gymnastics Team, singularly unconcerned that we might have been in real danger of breaking our necks or appendages, although we probably gave Ms. Pannell a fright or two. I remember watching in awe as Diana Veal perfectly spiked a volleyball, and Pat Davenport and I played innumerable games of killer ping-pong.

I remember sneaking into the Drive-In in the trunks of cars ... not always, just once or twice, just to see if we could do it. I remember "Fat Eye" Cordell patrolling the aisles of the Palace Theater when we became too loud or rowdy. I remember the "Birthday Club" at the Palace, a staple of our childhood. I remember coming out of the Palace with my friends after having seen Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (1963), getting into my car and driving off down Main. Unfortunately, the air conditioner in the Studebaker had developed a "glitch", which caused it to occasionally make "chirping" sounds. About halfway down the block the air conditioner chirped and I assure you that you have never seen six girls bail out of a car so quickly!!

I remember waiting for KCTX (1510) radio to sign off at sundown so we could listen to KOMA (1520) in Oklahoma City.

I remember dust storms that turned the air absolutely black at noon, and watching the sky when there were tornado warnings.

I remember Bobcat Blue, and pep rallies (with the twirlers performing to "Peter Gunn" and the cheerleaders and the rest of us yelling our hearts out), the "Friday Night Lights", band trips, full orange Fall moons, and the smell of cotton gins.

And I remember the non-school sanctioned dances, and the Junior-Senior banquets, and dragging Main and Highway 287 and through the park.

Most of all, I remember the friends, and the fun, and a time that now only exists in memories ... of "the way we were."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since reading Jennifer’s memories Jim and I have traveled in our minds back to the way we were in the early ‘60’s. For Jim, growing up in Childress was an idyllic time. His memories are of long summer days shared with neighborhood friends who were sometimes much older, playing basketball and baseball on vacant lots, going to Downy English’s café and eating a hamburger and drinking a coke for 15 cents and then going to the show for a nickel. Like Jennifer, he vividly remembers the birthday club and “Fat Eye” Cordell. Later he spent hours playing golf with a group of much older men notably JD Michie who taught him to play the game. Even today he credits many of his stories and much of his “descriptive” vocabulary to these long ago golfers. He also remembers spending a lot of time in the principal’s office in the seventh grade for various acts such as tripping Pat Harmon in the classroom.

In case any of you wonder why I am telling his story, I’ll start with this memory:

Jim: Mrs. Denney is one of the teachers that I will never forget. In typing class I sat between Judy Rutledge and Marilyn Lambert, both of whom were every typing teacher’s dream. Mrs. Denney would walk around the room watching as we typed whatever we had been given. I could see her as she stood first behind Judy, smiling and relaxed. Then she would stand behind Marilyn and she would smile and appear pleased. Then she would move to me and I could see her smile replaced with a worried expression and she would start wringing her hands. Somehow I managed to make it through the class, but I never became a typist. So, if my memories are ever to be shared, Nicki has to be the one to as she would say, “find my voice” and put it in the computer.

It is probably not a surprise to anyone, that a great many of the things that I remember are related to sports.

I remember competing in the State Golf Tournament in Austin my senior year. I will never forget the thrill of winning a state championship as the state medalist. I also remember all of the good times that the golf team, Johnny McConnell, Reed Lockhoof, Joe Tupin Howard and I had that year. I will always remember my friend, Don Kaplan, who was transferred to work in Childress at that time. Don was a great golfer who really worked with us on our golf games. I don’t believe that I would have won that year if he hadn’t helped us.

I remember basketball my senior year. Joe Don Hopkins, Bobby Huff and I had played basketball together since we were in the 3rd grade. Our senior year, we often stayed after practice shooting and reminiscing about our years together shooting hoops.

I remember having Coach Joe Warren for a basketball coach during that time. Coach Warren became a lifelong friend and we still see him to play golf and tell old stories. Not long before Travis McCain died a few years ago, he, Coach Warren, Joe Don and I had lunch in Dallas and had a great time visiting and remembering. Seeing Travis that day was a surprise never to be forgotten.

I remember the times at the Greenbelt Bowling Center from 1960 to 1963. For some reason I always had free bowling, free coffee and free chocolate pie made by Nicki’s mother. I also remember kicking a ball return and breaking my toe.

I remember those Andy Griffith Tuesday nights when Nicki, Clara, Pat, Bettye, Wayne, Charles, and Johnny Roy would gather at different houses to watch Barney and Andy and eat. I especially remember when Nicki’s mother made soapillias for all of us.

I remember winning a $5.00 bet in the summer of 1963 by hitting a golf ball from Dave Brummet’s Gulf station over the court house. When everyone else began to try to do it too, golf balls were pinging off of the court house walls. Prisoners in the cells began waving white sheets out the window to “surrender”, and Tuffy Maddox paid us a visit.

Life was good and still is for a kid from Childress, Texas.

Jim (the one formerly known as Willy)

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki/Jim (Willy), I was just talking to Linda Bridges Cook and she told me that her husband, Wayne, a former law enforcement officer in Childress, remembers vividly the occasion when Jim was hitting golf balls over (or into) the Courthouse, and the prisoners waving white flags in "surrender". Still working on her to add her "voice" to ours. I think she is getting there.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer,

I enjoyed reading the memories that you shared with us. I'm sorry I can't help you with the No. 1 on the menu at the Dairy Mart, but I do remember their Frito Pie. Yum! I especially liked it in the little Frito package filled with chili. I wonder where kids in Childress hang out today??

The thing I remember about the home ec classes were the great meals that we got to eat after we prepared the food. However, I also, remember sewing in Mrs. Hughes class--making a tailored skirt and vest with covered buttons and then having to wear them to school.

Speaking of car memories--does anyone else remember going to impromtu drag races out at the old airstrip or did I see that in a movie? Jim and I remember Afton Wiliford who came to town and brought with him a love for drag racing.

We (the girls) used to go to Quanah on an occasional Sunday to eat French cullers at Dutch's. The place was packed. I notice there is a Dutch's there now, but not the same place.

The one harrowing experience that I remember was the night that a group of us girls had a great idea to go out and roust "parkers" on the dark country roads. Unfortunately, we found Tommy Czewski who chased us all the way back to town. Despite the fact that we giggled and laughed the whole time, we didn't do it again.

Most of Jim's shared memories are mine, too, but not the hitting of the golf ball over the court house. By that time, my family had moved me to Clovis so I missed that event.

Linda, we can't wait to get your comments and shared memories!

For now,
Nicki

Jennifer Johnston said...

I certainly do remember the Frito pie at the Dairy Mart ... made with the same chili they used on the No. 3 and No. 4 'bugers. However, the first Frito pie I remember having was during Freshman year, at a little hole-in-the-wall place right next to the CHS campus called (I think) the "Bobcat Inn", or something like that. In addition to Frito pies, they had hot dogs and 'burgers, fries ... all that HEALTHY (ha!) teenage artery-blocking food that we so loved!!!

I do remember many "impromptu" drag races out on the straight of the road to the airport. I also remember having "bridge dances" (no, I don't know why they were called that. but they seemed to occur randomly, particularly when all the cute Greenbelt Bowl players were in Childress for the game), where we would park all the cars in a circle, turned on the headlights, tuned all the radios to KOMA and danced in the middle of the circle. Tuffy also periodically cruised the airport for miscreants like us, and on one such occasion he caught a car carrying Shirley Neel and Clemi Higley and a few others. According to Shirley (I was not one of the others ... not that I hadn't been there ... just wasn't in that particular car), Clemi turned on the water works, and begged and pleaded with Tuffy, until he decided to let them go. See "The Zen ... and the Tao ..." for another comment on Tuffy.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic!! I've not read all of it but enough to know that the Class of '56 needs to do something similar. I did notice where Jennifer wrote that Leeman Weir started the Blue Room. He didn't. It was going full blast in 1953 when Evelyn and her mother started it. We went to hundreds of dances upstairs at the Weirs'. It may have gone into a down time until your class came along. Since Kenneth Doshier has becomed our "official keeper of the class," I'm going to send him this site to check out. We just might start up one of our own. I think it's a great way to bring back memories of our high school days.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Tom,

We are so honored to have an oldie but goodie from the class of '56 visit our blogsite. I think I can speak for Jennifer on this one point and that is that we are having a great time collaborating and communicating. We can't wait to have more from our class join in with us.

Thank you so much for the historical update on the Blue Room. We really appreciate having this information to share.

Good Luck on your blogsite should you decide to go ahead. When you get it done, let us know and we will link from our site to yours and hope you will do the same.

Nicki

Jennifer Johnston said...

Wow! How wonderful to hear from Tom Higley ... his mother Carol was a beloved mentor to me. In fact, Carol was godmother to my older daughter Shannon, whose given name is "Carol Shannon." Carol and Tom's dad Morris gave me my first "real" job at "The Childress Index" during the summer of 1962, before our Senior year, and I loved every minute of it. I remember when Carol assigned my first "obit" (obituary). I was to call the funeral home (Newberry's, then), find out the details of family, cause of death, etc., and write the story. I dutifully did my best and handed my copy to Carol for review, and she looked at me with one eyebrow raised and said in that Lauren Bacall voice: "Don't say he died of 'heart failure'. EVERYONE dies of heart failure." Carol was so special, and I was so privileged that she took an interest in me.

It was also great hear the story of the actual beginning of the Blue Room. I hadn't heard it before, and had always thought that it started while Leeman was in high school. Or is it just that each generation harbors a belief that it started everything?

Like Nicki, I wish Tom and his class all good luck with starting their blog, but I hope he will occasionally take time to drop by this space and leave a note for us, even if it is only to correct some misinformation or disinformation that may appear.

Anonymous said...

Aout the "Blue Room". The Weirs were saints. What a great place. I remember we began going after our 8th grade------got to learn the latest dances and practice before Teen Canteen on football Friday nights.
As I remember, you had to go through the Weir's bedroom to get to the Blue Room. On several ocassions, Mr. Weir would be in bed as we left. We would whisper "Goodnight, Mr. Weir" as we tiptoed through. Sometimes he would answer with a snore and sometimes with a drawled "GOODnight".

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Clara,
I share your memories of traisping through Mr. Weirs bedroom and feeling like and intruder. As a wide-eyed "new" girl from Muleshoe who didn't know the tradition of the Blue Room, I expected someone to throw everyone out at any minute and I knew my mother would kill me!

I am happy to hear from you. Thanks for sharing again!
Nicki

Anonymous said...

More Calories

I can't believe no on has mentioned the "chicken fried steak, smothered in white cream gravy and french fries" at the Dixie Cafe. That was always my favorite meal before going home at night.

Does anyone remember all the bushel baskets of eggs that used to sit at the bottom of the stairs at the Wier's house? I remember Butch Baker stepping in a full basket of eggs as he was leaving one night. But nothing ever seemed to bother the Wier's. I thought Jimmie Ruth and Leman were the luckiest kids alive to have Lola and Marvin for parents.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Lynn, dear ... I don't know about Nicki or anyone else ... but I specifically have NOT mentioned a lot of things ... like the Dixie Cafe and all those artery-clogging dishes that we COULD eat late at night back then without suffering severe, debilitating effects... just to lure you and others to sign on and contribute your own memories. It worked!!! And it was good to see your comment!

Anonymous said...

An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet. Regardless of time, place or circumstance, the thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break. Chinese Proverb.

Not sure how it can be invisible and red at the same time, guess you just have to put your faith in fortune cookies???

Talk of the Dixie Cafe brought this proverb to our table.
My memories of the Dixie Cafe extend all through my life since we lived right next door for years. My mom and Gran both worked there when I was small. Then of course, we all were there quite often during our HS years. What would I give to be able to go back and listen to some of that old Jukebox music. Hank Williams, Ernest Tubbs, Faron Young, well, you know. Childress is shrouded in that genre.
What I want to know is...what the heck happened to Cheeseburgers? Will I never find one to compare?

Anonymous said...

On another note, how did the rest of the world grow up without "Fateye" and the Saturday morning cartoons? We were so rich!

Thanks to Tom Higley for joining us. I hope you will be a constant.
sheila