Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Saturday, March 15, 2008

‘Cat’ Tracks: US 287…Road Trip …Rest Stops

Jim and I regularly make the trip from Amarillo to Childress to Flower Mound/Dallas. Neither of us has ever been opposed to making stops along the way unlike some others who might prefer to get in the car and drive stop-free to the end destination. In fact, age and caffeine have made stopping imperative at times. We have made a game of learning about the towns and cities along the way and we want to share our adventures with you so that you too can enjoy the trip a much as we do.

When embarking on any trip we arm ourselves with maps, and while a map is really not needed for our trip it is helpful when we decide to wander from the well traveled road for parts unknown. I have maps of most of the places we visit and thankfully, because Jim has no sense of direction when it comes to strange places, he doesn’t mind my consulting the maps or even stopping for directions. One of the few problems that we have in travel is that while I have a great sense of finding my way around when I am driving, I am prone to give directions very poorly, often saying right when I mean left and vice versa. Additionally, I have no idea where north, south, east, and west are except when I remember to look for the sun so when we are in strange places I often drive because I know where I am going even when I can’t articulate my plans to another driver. Luckily once I have explored a destination, it is placed in my mind map for future reference. Makes sense to us and we have learned to monitor and adjust. A GPS is most likely in our future.

Anyway, back to our trip that occurs almost entirely on U.S. Highway 287 which stretches north to south from Montana near the Canadian border to Port Arthur, Texas. Because we live in Amarillo, that is our starting point. I won’t bore you with Amarillo details, but should you ever decide to vacation here, I am more than happy to provide pertinent information. Generally, depending on the time of day that we leave home, our first stop is the Water Still about a mile from our house so I can purchase a large container of iced tea for the trip. (caffeine in the morning and decaff in the afternoon) and then we are off to I-40 with Jim driving. Did I think to mention that I can’t stay awake to drive until I have had a nap and caffeine?

One bit of information that I might share before we leave is that Amarillo is a part of Historic Route 66 as well as on the I-40 corridor. I-40 is heavily populated with hotels, motels, restaurants and other businesses. Historic Route 66 is also home to many of the same type of businesses, but I would recommend that only the brave at heart or the very uninformed would be found seeking shelter in that area.

As our trip unfolds we are soon at the edge of Amarillo where I-40 curves to Oklahoma City and we travel on to 287 to Ft. Worth. Thirty miles down the highway, we come to Claude, a small but friendly town. Our stops there have been brief, but there are several antique stores on 287 that when they are open are of interest to those inclined to sifting through the junk and old stuff to find a treasure. On the corner on the north side of 287 or is that the east side is a small drugstore that bears investigating from time to time. The town square and courthouse could lend themselves to photo ops to share with friends and family. The ever present Dairy Queen is available most times for coffee, drinks, food, and restroom breaks.

Travel continues for another 30 miles to Clarendon. On the hill entering town stands Clarendon College. Happily Clarendon is now the home of a Sonic for those of us who at this point need a Cranberry Slush, but most of the time the Outpost Pharmacy/service station/coffee shop/restrooms is a very popular local gathering place. Jim often finds that a good cup of coffee is in order at this point not to mention a restroom break from the previous early morning cups of coffee. Other points of interest could be Main Street for more antique shops and possible small cafes and restaurants.

One of the very best things about traveling 287 in Texas is that between Amarillo and Wichita Falls there are 2 new Texas Safety Rest Stops which are truly the best thing going and I am proud to see my tax dollars being spent wisely. (I really mean this.) There are 98 of these strategically placed on Texas highways. I highly encourage travelers to take advantage of these areas. The rationale for the stops is to provide places for people to stop in for rest and relaxation before continuing driving. Each is provided with clean and I do mean clean restrooms, computers for locating information and maps, Wi-Fi connections, snack machines, local history displays and attendants for assistance and maintenance. Additionally, tornado shelters are provided. Children’s playground areas and dog walking areas are available. The first on our journey is between Hedley and Memphis. The second is located between Quanah and Chillicothe. You will find one on each side of the highway for quick entry and exit. On my list of must see places to visit are the 96 other rest stops.

Memphis is thirty miles on down the road from Clarendon. Here you will find the usual photo op town square. I would have recommended a trip through a shop called Faux Pauts, but it is possible it has gone out of business. I would also have recommended a stop at the Back Porch Sandwich shop on 287, but alas, it too is no longer there. Gloria’s Mexican Food on the town square does provide an interesting dining experience for those so inclined to be adventurous.

One word of warning is in order. As you travel 287 on the outlined journey, it is wise to be vigilant of shall I say, “speed traps” for lack of a better phrase. In particular, Memphis, Estelline, Chillicothe, and yes, even Childress are places to obey the sudden drop in the speed limit as you pass through. Claude, and well, every tiny town between here and there can be hazardous to your pocket book.

At last we come to the first major stop on our trip. Entering Childress, it is possible to feel a hint of prosperity and growth. To the right or left of 287 you can catch a glimpse of the Roach Unit prison and while it is my understanding that it is not available for tours, a car trip out to the unit can be another photo op. The new digs for the Highway Department are very nice, also. It is hard to miss the new super store Wal-Mart which is another boon for the community. For those who love to peruse the aisles of a good Wal-Mart, I would recommend that you make this a stop on your trip if you have time. From experience, I know that many hours can be spent at this activity.

It is not uncommon for us to arrive in Childress in time for lunch. Thankfully, there are several options for dining unless you come on a Sunday or Monday and then the selection sharply drops. K-Bobs remains a favorite for locals and tourists. It has a fine reputation for its great salad bar, steaks, burgers, and good conversation with Marilyn Havens who greets us with a smile each time we go there. Down the street you will find the Wired Rabbit which has great Italian food, JT’s (Johnny Longbine) for the best hamburgers, the Childress Bakery for pastries, coffee, drinks, and sandwiches. If you go early in the morning or middle of the afternoon you can enjoy good conversation with the local coffee drinkers. For Mexican food you have the El Sombrero Restaurant. There are, of course, several other options available for both ethnic and American cuisine.

Sometimes, Childress is our end destination as our “vacation” home is located there. This gives us the opportunity to enjoy the many antique shops including Jitters, Wild Plum, and Amazing Grace, as well as Serendipity and the new Ballyhoo. Jim is delighted that Childress is also putting the finishing touches on a new 18 hole golf course, Stony Ridge, located on 287 east of town. Some of you might be surprised or happy to learn that Childress is no longer “dry” and liquor stores have begun to appear in town.

But for now, we continue on our journey down 287. Quanah is next in line. Upon entering the city limits, we see a smaller version of Dutch’s restaurant which is on our list of one of the places we might visit one of these days. Truthfully, we have not spent much time here on our journey since it so close to Childress, but we have visited the town square and a great antique store on the east edge of town. One cautionary suggestion is to never plan an antiquing trip to any small town on a Monday as a great many of them are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

One of the joys of traveling by car and taking time is that we can be open to exploring for the new and unexpected. For years we have passed through Chillicothe without taking the time to stop except at the Dairy Queen or when stopped by the town police officer. However, it is impossible not to notice that in a short stretch of 287 is lined with signs proclaiming “dang good candy” “pecans” and “Texas Valley Pecans.” One day out of curiosity we stopped at the small business. Big Mistake!! Much to our, well to my delight, we had discovered a wonderful shop filled with amazing gifts, books, ornaments and other home accessories that quite simply begged to be taken home to our house. Now our car never passes by without turning in. Thankfully, Jim is happy to visit their coffee bar and the pecans are fabulous! Since I have spread the word about this place, many of my friends and family have become addicted to making regular stops here, too.

After the excitement of Chillicothe, we usually fly through Vernon so it remains unexplored by the Wilcoxsons, but maybe someday… Happily, Vernon is one of the few towns that are red light free on 287.

Wichita Falls is next, and what can I say? Well, the new highway system allows you to literally fly over the city, so unless you plan to make a stop there, the traveler can miss a lot. If at this point you need a really good place to eat, you will find it in WF. All of the familiar restaurants are located either along 287 or tucked back in the city. The problem is that you have to know where you are going and be willing to detour off of 287 which we have done on many occasions—Cheddars, Olive Garden, McAlister’s Deli, Chili’s and I am sure you get the picture, but Dallas calls so we don’t tarry there for very long. One interesting observation worth mentioning is that between Electra and Wichita Falls, a large herd (if that is the correct term) of camels can be seen on the south side of 287 grazing and resting.

By now, I am usually driving, having had my caffeine fix and my nap. Jim is now asleep so we travel on down 287 side-stepping
Bowie and making only a quick stop in Decatur at the Starbuck’s for a last cup of coffee.

This is where we leave 287 and head for Denton. However, the promise of Ft. Worth on down the way on 287 is tantalizing as Ft. Worth is a favorite city for us to visit, but that has to wait for another time and another trip.

I leave you with a poem that I discovered in a 1963 highway map of the Scenic Highway U.S. 287
VIA 287

By Ray Rostron

If you’re planning a trip or just taking a ride,
287 is the route you should drive,
Convenience you’ll find, all along the way,
That’ll make your stop a most pleasant stay.

From Port Arthur’s shore to the mountains of the west,
Mother Nature’s scenery is at its best
Each city and community a congenial host
So Travel the highway that offers the most.

Whether you trip be for pleasure on a family vacation,
Careful planning will make it a momentous occasion.
You can go to the moon via God’s Blue Heaven,
But let’s travel the earth via 287.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicki, this 'Cat Tracks post on Highway 287 is fabulous! I daresay that 287 is quite familiar to many of us, and that it will trip some "memory switches" ... I know it did mine! ... and maybe even get some of our recently reluctant (or just absent) "audience" to start commenting again. Come on guys, we need you!!! Nicki and I are working our typing fingers to the bone ... not to mention our imaginations ... and people out there want to hear from you as well. But, in the meantime, you are stuck with me again ....

Over the years, I've traveled 287 MANY times, picking it up around either Fort Worth or Decatur (depending on whether I was coming from Dallas or from Houston when we resided there), or from Denver into Childress, or "catching" it in Amarillo when coming from Las Vegas traveling east. As you might have guessed (or dreaded), I have some observations and some stories to tell.

Claude is where they filmed much of the movie "Hud" (from Larry McMurtry's first novel "Horseman, Pass By"), starring the young and totally gorgeous Paul Newman, along with Patricia Neal. I remember when they were shooting scenes there ... there was quite a local buzz about it. JoAnn had such a crush on Newman, and one day she and Raenell and Paula and Jim (now Rae's husband) actually drove to Amarillo from Childress to see if perhaps they could somehow "find" him. Timing ... or the lack of same ... being everything, they did find the motel where the cast and crew were staying ... but ... Newman and his co-star Brandon De Wilde were not on the premises at the time. I remember JoAnn returning to Childress triumphantly with a souvenir ... an empty, crushed pack of cigarettes, which she was convinced had belonged to Newman. I'm sure Jobey held onto it for many years, and I am hopeful that either she or Raenell (or both) will fill in the blanks on this story.

While we're browsing in the "Teenage Crush Department" ... and in keeping with Nicki's mention of "the Mother Road" ... I had such a crush on George Maharis, who played Buz (not a typo ... one "z") Murdock alongside Martin Milner's Tod Stiles in the television series "Route 66". "Route 66" (at least while Maharis was on it ... he was replaced by Glenn Corbett after a couple of years) was my "must see TV" while I was in high school. And, my drooling over Maharis notwithstanding, the show itself was very well done and holds up well today (Yahn and I recently saw some episodes on DVD), with directors such as Sam Peckinpah and Arthur Hiller, and a constellation of guest stars (in many cases, before they became stars) like Martin Sheen, Robert Redford, Robert Duvall and Anne Francis (of Forbidden Planet fame, who later had her own Honey West series). From the opening bars of Nelson Riddle's fantastic theme music, I was hooked and oblivious to outside influences for the hour. The only time in my life I ever wrote a "fan" letter was probably early in 1961 (I was all of 13 at the time, so give me a break!), when I wrote to George Maharis (care of the studio, of course) to gush about how much I loved the show, how his conflicted character really moved me, and how brave the show and the really good, socially-conscious Stirling Silliphant scripts were for taking on many of the problems of the day (civil rights, union organizing, drug use, etc.). When I mailed my letter (about 4 cents for the stamp, I think), feeling foolish even then, I really had NO expectation that I would get any sort of answer ... or thought if I did, it would be some kind of "canned" response from a studio publicist. But son of a gun ... about three weeks later, I got a two-paged, single-spaced typed letter (with handwritten closing and signature) from Maharis himself. Believe me, I know it was not the usual studio/fan club robo-letter ... I am quite certain that Maharis typed and wrote it ... for one thing, no secretary in the world could have made that many typos and kept a job ... and also because he directly addressed things that had been said it my looong letter (I was wordy even then) ... not just generalities of the "thanks for writing" type. It was such a sweet ... and unexpected ... thing for him to have done. And despite some of his later career difficulties, I will always have a soft spot for George Maharis, who took his time when we was arguably a "big" TV star to reach out to an angst-ridden teenaged girl in a remote corner of Texas.

The recent March snowstorm in Dallas reminded me that driving 287 (particularly some of the northern reaches) can be a bit tricky in Spring. I remember one March (1967, while Yahn and I were going together) when I set out on a trip "home" to Childress in my little '67 Mustang with about $10 and change in my purse ... just remember how cheap gas was then, if you can do so without grinding your teeth to stumps. As I was leaving Denver, it began to snow ... HARD ... but I dismissed it and thought that it would probably stop soon. After all, it was March.... Not only did it not stop soon, it got increasingly worse ... and yet, with the foolish (not to say foolhardy) optimism of the young, I forged ahead ... barely making it from Colorado Springs to Pueblo, over Raton Pass, gassing up in driving sleet and snow in Texline, whiteout between Dumas and Amarillo, blowing snow Amarillo to Childress.... When I walked into my grandparents' house early that evening, they gaped at me open-mouthed, and then said they were certain I had decided not to come ... and how DID I make it through the weather? I looked at them quizzically ... and they pointed me toward the TV ... where the announcer was talking about how 287 from Denver through the Texas Panhandle had been closed to all traffic. People were stranded everywhere along the road, which had apparently been closed right behind (as well as ahead of) me, JUST after I passed through various points. Dumb luck ... or perhaps fairy "magic"? Or, as I have been told, that I am "protected" in this life??? Take your pick ... I know my theory....

Loved your mentions of Childress, particularly K-Bob's (the "last stand" of all the Naughty Nine before Paula died, on which occasion we were also joined by Joe Don, Gary Hassell, Dana Purcell Morris and Imogene Pannell Murray, as well as Yahn and Pat's husband Alan) and Marilyn Havens. I always enjoy seeing Marilyn when I am in Childress; she is such a lovely person. She was two years ahead of us in school, and we had PE together. We made quite a formidable duo in ping-pong, and always had a good time playing. The Childress Bakery has the best brownies in the known world, IMHO ... and of course Yahn and I used to stop at the Wild Plum frequently when Paula was alive.

I am SO glad you mentioned the camels just outside Wichita Falls. Yahn and I began seeing them some years ago when we drove that way, and always delighted in them ... but everyone we told about them looked at us rather skeptically ... which is to say they looked at us like were were NUTS ... although we are used to that by now. I seem to recall Sheila and I spotted them when the two of us made a road trip to Childress in the spring of 2002.

When you and Jim make it to Fort Worth, don't miss the wonderful Fort Worth Zoo, or the Kimbell Art Museum, or the fascinating downtown Water Gardens, where part of the movie "Logan's Run" was filmed. And speaking of "Logan's Run" ... much of it was filmed in and around Dallas, including one of the futuristic buildings where I worked at the time, so my co-workers and I got to see a couple of scenes (and Michael York) up close and personal.

I know all about the "speed traps" you mentioned, and now add my warning to your "words to the wise"....

And ... finally ... about your description of your giving directions.... Don't get Yahn started on my giving directions. Like you, I can get anywhere I need or want to go fairly efficiently ... the problems seem to arise when I try to tell others "where to go".... (grin)

)O(

Anonymous said...

Jenn, about the "Hud" story: Jim drove JoAnn, Paula and me to Amarillo in his '56 Ford. We found out the motel where Paul Newman and Brandon De Wilde were staying. JoAnn and Paula sneaked into the hotel, listening at every door on the way, and JoAnn found an empty pack of cigarettes (that she just KNEW were Paul's) outside the door, thus the "souvenir". Yes, I am sure she kept it for many years, right along with the life-size poster she had in her room.

As we were going through Claude, we could see all the cars, crew and such at the farm house where the film was made on location, but could not get within a mile or so to get a glimpse. That was quite a trip as I remember it. We subsequently had a flat tire between Claude and Clarendon, resulting in my sister, Jackie who lived in Amarillo at the time, who had to come for us after we called her from a farm house. As I remember the little lady there was quite nice and accommodating, willing to help and letting us use her phone and not asking for any money in return. We then went back to Amarillo and spent the night with my sister and the next day obtained a tire, and returned to the car that was left on the side of the road (by the way not relieved of any of its parts or other 3 good tires) before proceeding back to Childress. Those were the good days when trusting little farm ladies were not afraid to help young kids that came to the door in the late afternoon, and cars were not stripped of all parts and left as a shell on the side of the road if abandoned overnight. I wouldn't try that today, NOPE not on a bet.

I do remember that someone at the hotel told JoAnn and Paula that "Paul and Brandon were out at a restaurant to eat" and got all excited and said "MARLON BRANDO?!?!"

This is my recollection of the events leading up to and during the "GREAT PAUL NEWMAN SEARCH". You might check with Jo to see if I've left anything out.

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I read Jennifer's and Raenell's comments about the "Great Paul Newman Search". It brought back so many memories, and I wanted to add a bit to the story.

As Raenell said, Paula and I sneaked into the hotel and were tiptoeing through the halls, listening at all the doors. We actually met the sound recorder for the movie, and he told us that Paul and Brandon De Wilde were out eating somewhere. Paula got really excited and flustered because she confused Brandon with Marlon Brando, but the guy explained the difference to her. He also told us some little things about both of them and some of the details about making the film. We were so thrilled!!!

Yes, I kept that cigarette pack for years, along with the huge, life-sized poster Rae mentioned, and some others. Willard Gray at the old Palace Theater always gave me the movie posters for Paul's movies, and I sure had a collection of them. One of my favorites was from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". When I was dating my husband Burton, he spent one night at our house (I slept with Mom and Dad of course) and the next day he told me he couldn't get a bit of sleep with that huge poster staring down at him. A bit later the house burned down, and I lost all my posters and the cigarette pack.

Those were wonderful days and these are great memories.

Anonymous said...

As a longtime aficionado of American roadside architecture, I can certify that Highway 287 and Route 66 are both gold mines of good old fashioned American idiosyncrasy. Heading west out of Amarillo on Route 66 (Interstate 40), don't miss Tucumcari, New Mexico. If you take the Business Route through Tucumcari (the highway completely bypasses the town now) you will find yourself transported much like Dorothy into Oz, to a dozen or so classic, mid-1950s "tourist traps". Lordy, how I love a good Indian teepee "motel". Can any sane person resist a giant "faux" something or other painted in "day-go" orange and green, beckoning from the roof of a "unique" reptile farm. Once bypassed, most of these bits of Americana fall into rapid disrepair, but not in Tucumcari. Drive through sometime and look carefully at the two guys in the Corvette stopped at the light downtown. You never really can be too sure. (De-De-De-De... oh shoot... just imagine "The "Twilight Zone" theme here.)

For many years we drove the Decatur to Childress leg of 287 on a regular basis. Among those fine memories is a clear vision of driving at night during the Christmas holidays heading for Jennifer's grandparent's home in Childress. As you're coming out of Wichita Falls, and heading for Electra, on a lonely little hill about a mile or so south of 287 is a modest contemporary "Ranch" house. During Christmas time, these people, whoever they might be, used to completely outline their house (doors, windows, chimney, and everything) with blue Christmas lights. Year after year I always looked forward to seeing that little blue bungalow floating in midair as if by magic. Beautiful Christmas magic. Strange the things you remember.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Yahn dear ... thanks for conjuring the memory of the "floating" blue house just outside Wichita Falls ... it is also one of my favorite memories of Christmas. I never fail to recall it during the holiday season, and the thought always brings peace and serenity.

Thanks to Rae and JoAnn for filling in the blanks on the great hunt for Paul Newman, and we look forward to seeing both of them again on the blog.

24 hours from now "les girls" will be aboard that big American Airlines "bird" bound for Paris. Thanks to those who have wished us well, and sent warm thoughts for a safe (and fun) trip. I know it's going to be fabulous ... and we will of course be thinking of you ... between stops at patisseries....

Nicki, the blog is left in your capable hands ... and I will be looking to getting back in touch about March 24 ... with perhaps a surprise or two in the interim....

"Bestest"....

)O(

Jennifer Johnston said...

WE ARRIVED SAFELY IN PARIS AFTER A SCARE. LANDING GEAR WOULD NOT GO DOWN ON PLANE ... EMERGENCY VEHICLES AND FIRE TRUCKS ALONGSIDE WHEN THE PLANE FINALLY LANDED. STRANGE COMPUTER ... DIFFERENT KEYBOARD. ETC SO SHORT MESSAGE. HOPE THIS POSTS AND WILL TRY TO SEND MORE AND BETTER LATER ... BUT NOW PARIS AWAITS....

BESTEST ... )O(