Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Sunday, March 23, 2008

March Madness: Let the Games Begin

Ah, Glorious March is here; spring has sprung; and love is in the air. Wait! What am I thinking; it isn’t Love, love that fills the air. It’s the love of the game---the crack of the bat, the bouncing of the ball, the cheers of fans, a constant barrage of games on television, and the swing of the club. Sports talk permeates every venue known to modern society. Around the water cooler, in the break room, standing in line at the grocery and at home, conversation seems to flow around the latest game score. In our house the wide array of sports on the menu makes decision making almost overwhelming!

Of course, at our home, basketball dominates with so many tempting selections on cable. It’s like dessert everyday during the NCAA Basketball playoffs. Last Sunday was spent anticipating the scheduling for the first round of the playoff games. Next came the time for Jim and grandson, Jordie, to examine, dissect, and discuss all 65 teams on the schedule in order to fill out their own brackets of winners and losers all the way up to the ultimate team to win the big prize. Then the remote and the brackets were ready so the games began. Now every day the games are watched or monitored on televisions, newspapers, cell phones, Internet, and if one is really lucky, it might be possible to snag a ticket to an actual game. As the clock ticks and days pass and winners and losers of every game are determined, personal brackets are noted. Sometimes it is necessary to take a few minutes to grieve for a favorite team (Duke! Say it ain’t so Coach K!) that has suffered an untimely defeat. This will go on until the final four when North Carolina wins the championship. LOL I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that the women’s collegiate teams are also in the middle of their final games and are watched and tracked as rabidly as are the men’s teams. Go UConn! We wish we could say, “Go Tech.” but that is another sad story. I dare not leave out the random games of golf that are squeezed in on nice days in March and the pro golf tournaments (Go Tiger) to be enjoyed via cable on weekends when or if basketball has a boring moment.

In addition to the sessions of basketball strategy, spring break has come and gone in Amarillo. In a moment of insanity or brilliance we decided to treat Jordie (and Jim) to a trip to Arizona to witness spring training games for the MLB (Major League Baseball) teams in the summer Cactus League. Both of our grandsons play on baseball teams. Cole is still learning and having fun as a second grader and Jordie is on a traveling club team (12/13 years old players) with a far more serious intent. For weeks in advance we scoured the Internet for schedules and other information. After much serious thought, Jordie selected the games he wanted to see so the three of us were off. Over the course of 6 days, 2 in Tucson and 4 in Phoenix, we saw 7 major league games with number 8 having been rained out. Jordie was in heaven. By the end of the week, Jim and I had slightly dazed expressions and all the games were running together. We saw the Cubs, Brewers, (see photo above) Rockies, Padres, Giants, Angels, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Mariners and Royals play (some 2 or 3 times). We, also, visited 5 different baseball stadiums. For two days we ate nothing but ball park food (hot dogs, nachos, burgers)! I finally had to draw the line and demand real food. Jordie spent a great deal of his time very patiently explaining the game to his grandmother who has never been a fan of the game unless the grandsons are playing. I really am working hard to use the terminology correctly. You know, it is runs not points, umpires not referees and batter not hitter. Much to my surprise, I actually enjoyed watching the majors play and will view the game with an air of “sophistication” that I lacked in the past. We have already made a list of things to do differently the Next time we go to ensure that we spend our time much more wisely with much less of it stuck in traffic. Sadly, I never made it to a mall and the only shopping that occurred was at Wal-Mart for an emergency item. With all that we had possibly the time of our lives.

During spring break Cole and his family traveled to Durango to enjoy a last of the season vacation skiing and dog sledding. We can’t wait to hear about that!
This could add a whole new dimension to the sports package.

Now that the last week of March is approaching and the winners and losers in basketball will soon be decided and our trip to Arizona is over, we will mark the month of March, 2008, as a winner and a month to remember in the scorebook of our lives. Memories have been made. My tulips are blooming. (What?)

I close with the verses of the seventh inning stretch ringing in my ears. Now stand up, stretch, and sing along with me,

Take me out to the ball game; Take me out to the crowd; buy me some peanuts, and Cracker Jacks……………

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicki, Your trip sounds like a dream come true, esp for Jordie! LOL!! I must say, You are a great sport! How did Jim get so lucky?
Where were you when you took the picture of Jim and Jordie? That looks like a park where Robin and Lili run...but maybe all of AZ looks like that.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Actually the picture of Jim and Jordie was taken in my brother's backyard in Tucson. He lives in the Catalina Foothills and his landscape is all native. He doesn't live far from Sabino Canyon which is filled with runners, walkers and hikers, but as I said it is Tucson. I do think Phoenix and Tucson and the surrounding desert look much the same. It is all very fascinating for those of us used to green grass and flowers.

Anonymous said...

When we were living in Kansas the basketball tournament was the topic at work as well as the coffee shop. They take their basketball very seriously. Every year our group of employees would put 20.00 each in the pot , to pay out to winner & runner up . We had a lot of fun , if a dark horse beat a top seed.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Well, as you can tell, basketball is very serious at the Wilcoxson home, too. It is more fun when you have the "pots" and the brackets and all that going on. I never managed to win at work on those things, but it was fun to be in on it.

I see that the JayHawks are still hanging in this year, so far.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, Nicki ... wonderful post, as always ... but having just returned from the City of Light AND Romance (perhaps not so much in the "romance" department with "les girls" as companions, although I love them all dearly) ... my first thought of course is that it IS LOVE ... toujours l'amour ... that ALWAYS fills the air ... and as any "player" knows, LOVE is the greatest game of all!!!! (Sorry, the romantic in me is indeed incorrigible....)

That said however, your trip to Tucson with Jordie and Jim sounds wonderful. It is SO beautiful there, and the desert is tres dramatic. It sounds like you had a fabulous adventure, and I know the time you all were able to spend with Jordie was indeed priceless.

Strangely enough, the last time I watched an entire basketball game was the first year B-ball was allowed in the Olympics and my attorney boss-friend insisted on sneaking me out of the office with him to go watch the U.S. games in a sports bar. It is for that reason, and that alone, that I have ANY knowledge of WHO Sir Charles Barkley is.

I don't think I've ever watched an entire baseball game, and I know Yahn hasn't.

Before we became friends with some of the Dallas Cowboys from the Landry and Staubach years during our 1968-80 sojourn in Dallas, we were at the Dallas Summer Musicals one night to see Ginger Rogers in "No, No Nanette". A friend got us backstage after the show to meet Miss Rogers and the cast, and while we were waiting, we were introduced to the show's ingenue, Rosie Holotik, who then introduced us to her date, Charlie Waters. Yahn quite seriously put out his hand and said "Pleased to meet you, Mr. Waters. What do you do for a living?" Charlie wasn't sure whether this was a put on or not ... but Yahn seriously didn't know who he was. I did however and turned an interesting shade of crimson while hoping Charlie wouldn't swing first and ask questions later. In years to come, Yahn always said that Charlie looked like he (Charlie) could pop him (Yahn) like a party favor. Subsequently, Rosie Holotik became Rosie Waters ... and that line is just too much of a set up, even for me.... I DO have SOME shame, after all....

And ... sacrilege to the sports fan ... during that same tenure in Dallas, we were quite close friends for a while with Melvin Renfro ... he insisted his friends call him "Melvin" rather than "Mel" ... and we regularly turned down his offers of his own personal tickets to sit on the 50-yard line at Texas Stadium because we would rather watch the game at home with friends ... and miss the post-game traffic jam.

I am gathering my wits (difficult, under the best of circumstances) and trying to adjust my internal clock to the correct time zone (Pacific, Parisian, GMT, or...?), but look forward to being able to post some pictures and stories of the trip soon.

Harold, I enjoyed your comment and am glad to see you appear on the blog again. We hope to see more of you....

"And it's one, two, three strikes" and I'm outta here ... for now....

)O(

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer,

It is so nice to have you back on the blog! It was way too quiet here without you for sure. We are all looking forward to catching up on the adventures of Les Girls.

I have watched so many basketball games over my lifetime; I really wish I knew the count! I always said tht when Jim retired that I would never watch another game that I didn't have to. Ironically, I think that when Jim retired, I might have missed going to the games more than he did at least for a while. Thankfully, when he isn't coaching, I enjoy the games way more with much less stress. I do love watching the grandsons play. I really do love watching the good collegiate teams play, too. I actually get nervous watching them play and feel sad when they lose. I still see them as kids. However, I have never seen a pro basketball game and don't enjoy watching them play on tv very much. I see it as too commercial.

Until this past week, I had seen only one or two professional baseball games. Jim made a really good point and now I agree. I have always loved to go to plays especially musicals and I have never been able to get Jim to go except on rare occasions. When we went to New York, we went to see "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" on Broadway. I chose that one because I thought Jim and our son-in-law would hopefully enjoy it. Well, much to my surprise, he loved it. He said that it was obvious that the actors were truly professional and really, really talented. When I told him that I actually enjoyed the professional baseball games that we saw in Arizona, he reminded me that there is a big difference in watching baseball games or plays when the "actors" are professionals who play, sing, or act with such talent and skill. I think he is right. I love watching the kids play because they are who they are and it is fun to watch them develop and enjoy themselves, but watching the professionals does take it to a whole new level. So, I will probably go to more games. Jordie, of course, knows all of the players, and when I asked who certain players were and/or what position they played, he looked at me as if I had sprouted horns! (LOL) I guess if I am going to watch the pros, I had better "get with it."

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, thanks for sharing your analogy comparing "professional" Broadway shows and "professional" sports. I know you are right about the Broadway shows, and will take your word about the sports....

Yahn and I had always enjoyed seeing the Dallas Summer Musicals (often with name stars) and theater in Denver, where shows bound for Broadway were sometimes previewed. We particularly enjoyed seeing Diana Rigg (now an official "Dame" and formerly Mrs. Emma Peel on "The Avengers") in "Colette" ... which unfortunately died before it ever reached Broadway.

However, once we made our first trip to New York and saw the actual BROADWAY productions of "The Phantom of the Opera", "Miss Saigon" (that helicopter "landing" on stage was spectacular!) and "The Will Rogers Follies" ... I can say in truth that Broadway productions are light years ahead of regional theater, even well-done regional theater. We were able to directly compare when a touring company of "Phantom" came to Houston a few years later, and we saw it again there. There was simply NO comparison ... although I'm sure I would have thought at one time that the Houston "Phantom" was wonderfully staged. So, whenever we travel to NYC, we try to make time to catch a couple of plays and/or musicals. Truly a treat....

I know you and Jim will enjoy watching the games together ... quality time spent with your true love is always priceless....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn, Just got back into town myself. Got hung-up in Colorado. Thought you and others might enjoy this quote --- "The difference between genius and stupidity is--- genius has it's limitations."

Anonymous said...

A "baseball" vacation would not be my first choice, but I love to see new places, try new things, taste new tastes, etc. If I had a grandson who loves baseball, I think it would be a perfect treat for all. I'm glad you did it------great memories for all of you!----and thanks for sharing.
I have become a Spurs fan, especially when they win, which says something about my loyalty as a fan. I cannot even watch playoffs for fear of having a heart attack. I have to leave the room. Luckily, I get over it very quickly when they lose-----just don't want to witness it. I've missed a lot of spectacular endings.
Good to hear from Harold. Maybe more sports articles will rout out the guys!
Great quote from Phillip------my limitations are definitely unlimited!