Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Just a thought…

I came to a horrible realization earlier. Two of my favorite people had birthdays in March. I forgot both of them. Now I feel really guilty. The first birthday I missed was the first of March….We were in Austin. The second birthday was in the middle of March…We were in Arizona. This must be what happens when we have too many things going on at once. I don’t think I can blame this on getting older! Happy late birthdays to Sue and Arlyna. Speaking of birthdays, for some reason I can never really enjoy my birthday and I know I am not the only one. How many of us when we were little used to cry when we were the center of attention and everyone gathered around singing, “Happy Birthday?” Maybe some of us still do??? Do we not enjoy our birthdays because it means we are getting older? Do we hate being the center of attention? Do we suffer from the extreme fear of being made to stand up in a restaurant (on a chair) while every one sings the dreaded song one more time? The best thing about a birthday is the cake. My sister-in-law, Sue, loves her birthday. She celebrates it all month long and calls it her birthday month! I admire that. Once again I am sorry I missed her “day”, but at least I had the month to make it right!!
……………………………………………

I found the coolest book, Historic Hotels of Texas: A Traveler’s Guide, by Liz Carmack. Wouldn’t it be fun to travel around Texas staying at these hotels. Well, not all of them would be fun. Many of them share bathrooms with multiple rooms and travelers. I don’t think so!!! Jim and I have stayed in only one of the hotels in the book, the Nutt House Historic Hotel in Granbury. It is a beautiful place inside. Every room was really great (with private bathrooms). I bought the book for Sue (see above). She is one of the people I know who will appreciate this. She and my brother, Roy, travel a lot, some of it in their RV. However, she is always looking for the new and the unusual to explore and enjoy. My brother is heavily into the genealogy of the families. They travel extensively around Texas visiting county courthouses looking at public records and visiting cemeteries to look at headstones bearing family names, taking photo records of both the courthouses and the headstones. They have a map of Texas on which they mark every visited courthouse. The goal is to get to all of them in Texas. They began RV’ing years ago, before cell phones and computers. Now they travel with both. The computer is a wireless laptop. I’ll bet they can’t imagine being without them now! They have met so many people on the road including the owner of a cafĂ© in Oklahoma who saves a piece of chocolate pie for Roy when she knows he is stopping by

…………………..........................................

I read a lot. I am guilty of taking my book with me everywhere. I am never bored when I have my book. I can sit in waiting rooms, in traffic and well, just about anywhere and I am very content as long as I can read. I even carry my book to ballgames. Jim has always said that he knew he was over the hill when he looked in the stands and saw me reading at one of his basketball games when he still played City League Ball. I read at games for various reasons. When I am really stressed over the game, it keeps me steady to read during time out, between innings or quarters, and sometimes during the game when I just can’t watch any more. I have told my family to never assume that I am not paying attention or that I don’t know what is going on just because I am reading. It doesn’t mean I don’t care about the game or them. I can even read and watch TV at the same time after all I am capable of multitasking! I try not to appear rude about it just in case anyone is wondering. I don’t read during conversations or when inter-acting with other people, but any other time is fair game. By the way, if I forget my book (horror of all horrors,) I am subject to reading cereal boxes and just about anything else I can find. Umm… maybe I am a little compulsive about it or perhaps am just an escape artist, but I refuse to feel guilty about it!


………………………………………………….

Speaking of compulsive, the next best thing to reading is working Sudoku. I love those frustratingly addictive puzzles. I tell myself that it is good for my mind and, of course, it is. Being a former teacher, I can’t resist grading myself on each one I do. A+ when I sail through with few problems all the way down to F- when I have to “cheat” by looking at an answer before I can proceed or when I have to erase the whole darn thing and start over. How is that for compulsive?? I prefer to think of it as being honest with myself so I won't have to feel guilty about taking a tiny peek at the answers.

……………………………………………………

I am looking forward to our class reunion, really I am and so is Jim. Las Vegas might not be my favorite place for a visit, but it doesn’t matter. I know we will have a wonderful time to relax and visit beyond the lights and glitter. There are seven months until we meet. How much weight can I lose in seven months?? Not many as long as I keep eating chocolate. Should I feel guilty about having so little self control? Oh well, at this point…

………………………………………………………..

Speaking of the reunion, I totally understand that for many of us there are plenty of reasons for not wanting to come and be a part and that’s okay. If there is one thing that I am certain of, it is that life is hard. I can not begin to imagine how life has been for our classmates since we left high school in 1963. Of course, most of us have grown beyond life as a teenage Childress Bobcat or at least I hope so. I am well aware that the “good old days” can be an interesting topic for only a short time and then it becomes necessary to find other commonalities and shared interests to carry us through. It is worth the effort?? I am certainly looking forward to giving it a try. By golly, (love that phrase) we can always talk about our grandkids, pets, hobbies, food and all that stuff. All that having been said, it would be awfully good to see you all again.

...............................................................

Jim and I are looking forward to a small reunion with Phil Tutor and his wife along with Jennifer and Yahn. If you are in the area and want to join us for dinner Wednesday, April 9 in Dallas, let us know. We would love to see you. The more the merrier!

………………………………………………….

Jim and I had lunch on Sunday with our former classmate, J.R. Bell and his wife, Jan. J.R. and Jan are in our Sunday morning Adult Bible Fellowship class at our church. That is the new term for Sunday school class or Bible study. While we have seen each other nearly every Sunday, this was our first chance to sit and visit and catch up. Jan is a 1970 graduate of Estelline High School. She was Jan Hudlow and her parents owned the grocery store there. Today Jan is an artist. Her work is remarkable. You can see for yourself at http://www.janbellartist.com/ . They are both looking forward to the Las Vegas reunion.
……………………………………………..

The above thought carries my thoughts to the blog. It amazes me when I have so many people tell me that they check in on the blog if not everyday then quite often. I think a lot of Childress people do this as well as our class members and friends. That’s okay. In fact, that’s great! However, it occurs to me that so many people know so much about Jim, our family, and our quirks if you will, and we know so little about everyone else. Sometimes when I write, and I think Jennifer experiences this, too, I feel a huge silence or wall out there even when I know we are being read. Have you noticed the number of visits—over 4000 now!! We must be doing something right and meeting the needs of some people for keeping in touch. Of course, that is not a totally accurate count, but WOW that is a bunch of people. Okay, Okay, I know you all have lives beyond the blog. LOL An email now and then would be nice, too. Guilt trip not intended!
…………………………………………………..
Recently, I have also begun to realize that I am tired of being told how gross, how unhealthy, how dangerous, how nothing is right with food and drink that we consume. When I got the recently circulated email about lemons and how germ laden they are, I accepted the fact that it is time to throw in the towel. I mean really, what is left????? What’s a girl to do? Thank God for giving us dark chocolate!! (at least for now)
……………………………………………………..
What constitutes peace of mind? Is it the ability to live life without regrets? Is it never looking back and wishing that one had done things differently? What about guilt and peace of mind? There are 24,500,000 references to guilt on Google including this statement, “There is no emotion so slippery, so controlling, so unshakeable as guiltJust a thought!
....................................................................

What is it Barbara Walters used to say on 20/20? “We’re in touch so you’ll be in touch.” That is a worthy goal for our blog so maybe Barbara won’t mind if we borrow the phrase!




Post Script to the Post: Clara has published a great comment to the above post. Additionally she has sent some fantastic pictures that I want to share so I am adding them here as they won't fit into comments. Be sure to read all of her comments in the comments section.

From Clara: Re: old Texas hotels. We just stayed at the Gage Hotel in Marathon, Easter weekend. It was an experience-----a good one. I got the last available room. It was on the second floor of the oldest part of the hotel-----shared bath down the hall. The restaraunt was quite nice----great food, service, and ambience. We grabbed coffee and fried pies the next morning at Shirley's Burnt Biscuit Bakery and heard a few local stories before a couple more customers walked in.

The Gage Courtyard



The Gage Lobby

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: guilt----don't like it.

Re: birthdays----love them! I don't even know how old I am. When someone asks I have to stop and think about it. I've never wanted to be the center of attention, but if birthday cake is included, so be it.

Re: old Texas hotels. We just stayed at the Gage Hotel in Marathon Easter weekend. It was an experience-----a good one. I got the last available room. It was on the second floor of the oldest part of the hotel-----shared bath down the hall. The restaurant was quite nice----great food, service, and ambience. We grabbed coffee and fried pies the next morning at Shirley's Burnt Biscuit Bakery and heard a few local stories before a couple more customers walked in.

Re: books-------I love to read also. I didn't read much for several years when I spent any extra time I had on the tennis courts. I'm back and loving it. I used to worry that Don didn't read books (he read everything else). He always told me he would resort to books when he was too old to do anything else. Well, I gave him a Tony Hellerman one year while vacationing (the fish weren't biting) and he is never without a stack of books now.

Re: Sudoku----I'm not into it. I do the crossword puzzle first, then I'm off to something else.

Re: class reunion----it sounds like a great time. If we don't make it there, I'm sure we'll get a blow by blow.

Re: mini in Dallas---Have fun!!!

Re: Nice to hear about J.R. Bell and Jan. I looked at her web site----very nice!!

Re: chocolate-------I can't say enough about chocolate----I can't eat enough chocolate---I can't want enough chocolate.

Jennifer Johnston said...

I too am fond of birthdays ... particularly when I consider the alternative to having another one!!! (Old joke, I know ... but we go with what we've got....)

The old hotels sound intriguing, and of course the history of them interests me tremendously. However, I've grown too accustomed to little luxuries ... such as private baths ... room service ... soundproofing.... I'll leave this bit of exploration and adventure to you girls. BTW ... do you know there's still a law on the books in Texas which specifically prohibits shooting at someone from upper floor hotel window or balcony? The Lege (as the late, great Molly Ivins called it) in Austin ... right up to the minute on everything....

I've already told the stories about reading in the car and on trains by flashlight when I was much younger. I just wish I'd had one on the recent flight to Paris.... I've been schlepping small branch libraries with me wherever I go for years....

Despite Nicki's phraseology, I swear I did not put a gun to her head and insist that the October Reunion be held in Las Vegas. I recall it as being a consensus decision (albeit it a small consensus) after a discussion over brunch at Pat's house regarding places that might be fun. However, they do say the mind is the first to go ... and mine has probably been missing for awhile. Stay tuned ... there's a new bulletin about reunion plans coming soon.

The mini-reunion in Dallas next week is getting better by the minute, as more people are added as "confirmed" to attend. Talked to Phil today, and he is definitely looking forward to it, as Yahn and I are.

Jan Bell's website is quite interesting. Yahn and I both enjoyed looking at it. Gotta hook her up with Mike Spradley, who's interested in Western art....

Finally, with all the talk of guilt, I am reminded of the writer Isabelle Holland, who said: “Guilt is the price we pay willingly for doing what we are going to do anyway.”

Or as Yahn says: "Guilt ... it's not just for breakfast anymore...."

)O(

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn, Thanks again for coordinating the "pre-reunion", as I'll call it, get-together. Winnie and I can't think of a better way to celebrate our 42nd anniversary.

Be Blessed!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Phil, you're more than welcome. I look at it as doing myself a favor, as I know we'll have a wonderful time! Can hardly wait to see you and meet Winnie ... and so looking forward to "reconnecting" with everyone else who plans to attend ... a larger group than originally anticipated, and all the better for it. Ya'll travel safely, ya heah??? (You can take the girl out of Texas, but the lingo never fades away....)

)O(

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I am so glad you all had a good time in Paris. I stayed home on Spring Break and blew my nose!! I also dealt with our remodeling contractor, not fun.

As for the Vegas reunion, you can definitely put me on the list for Jersey Boys!

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Clara,

I really enjoyed your comments and pictures (see original post). The Gage Hotel does look really interesting. I am going to have to check the book to see if it is there. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be. It looks like it fits the criteria for an historic hotel. I especially like the name of the little cafe. Did Shirley really have burnt biscuits?? We need to talk books! I loves mysteries and psychological thrillers as well as many other genres. Of course, I have already told you that I love the Hillerman books for many reasons, but I have learned so much about the Navajo culture from reading them.

I remember once when I was in the hospital in Lubbock that you and Bettye brought me a box of Russell Stover chocolate orange creams, my favorite at the time, and I thought that was the most thoughtful gift ever! I am sure I ate them all myself!

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer,

I, too, would like to assure everyone that there were no guns involved in the decision making process for a reunion site! LOL
I am so sorry if in any way my remark about Las Vegas not being my favorite place gave anyone the impression that I am in any way unhappy about having the reunion there. That is not the case at all!! I seriously think that Las Vegas is a great place for a class reunion. With Jennifer there as our resident guide, it is the ideal place for us. Every time I tell someone that we are going to Las Vegas for our 45th class reunion the reaction is always the same. It is always something like, "I wish our class would do that," or "that sounds like so much fun!"

Yes, it will be fun with so much to do and our friends to share it with. I think that is key to the reunion, don't you, to have our friends and class mates there. We really are looking forward to that time. Once again "Jersey Boys" here we come!

Jennifer, I share your pain when you talk about not being to read on the plane to Paris. I know I would have been the grumpiest passenger ever!

We are so looking forward to dinner in Dallas! See you then!

Anonymous said...

Nicki, that Lemon email just blows my mind. First and foremost, I absolutely do not believe it! Lemons are used for cleaning. Lemon oil is an antiseptic and astringent. If the researcher found fecal properties on the lemons, the person handling the lemons for the experiment must have put the bacteria on the lemons.
Your very interesting post is about so many different things. I will try to respond more tomorrow. Thank God it is Friday. Would you believe that we do not have another scheduled holiday in our district until the 31st of May...The kids already have spring fever...it is gonna be a long, long, 2 months!
Oh...about the books, Right now I am reading Three Cups of Tea...very interesting. At Jennifer's suggestion, I recently read The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. Wonderful book...maybe even haunting. Thanks Jenn! I would like to suggest one for all to read. The Shawl, which is an award winning short story written by Cynthia Ozick. I promise you will never forget the story.
ok...goodnight.

Anonymous said...

Sheila----I just read The Three Cups of Tea-----good read. Also, Seven Quarters of an Orange----loved it, by Joanne Harris (I think) who wrote Chocolat. The Kite Runner was a favortie----haven't read his next one, but it's definitely on my list. I will look for The Shawl. I appreciate any suggestions. I am currently reading Richard North Patterson's Degree of Guilt-----made me think of Nicki! I didn't expect to like it, and it got me from the first page.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, You give such wonderful book reports! Thanks for filling in the blanks so everyone will know what we are talking about. Now I am going to have to go searching for Dave Robicheaux and Tony Hillerman...that name sounds so familiar, maybe I have read his work in the past and put it aside for another wave of interests...who know!! James Lee Burke sounds interesting...anything in particular? You always lead me down the interesting paths!lol...
OH...and Amy Tan...what a blessing she offers for my family and the things we are living right now. Kite Runner, yes...and am looking forward to A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I have heard is a much better, stronger story.
I am with you on the Harry Potter series. It isn't just for children! I have been reduced to ashes when while watching the movies, I am the only one left standing, and my grandson's friends come in and ask..."Is your grandma watching Harry Potter???" Not sure if I should hide or invite them to join me...I invite them to join me and generally, I am a couple of years to late....They have already seen that one! Little Raschals!
I can't imagine what must go on in that woman's(J.K.Rowlings) mind for her to be able to write such intriguing and colorful stories. God Bless her!(that is an old Catholic saying) For anyone who is interested, Laura Esquivel's Like Water For Chocolate is an unforgettable story and wonderfully written. Better to read the book first, then see the movie!

Clara, everytime I look at your email about the Burnt Biscuit Bakery, I laugh out loud! If I ever had a bakery...or anything to do with food, the name would probably be something very similar.
When Robin was in HS, he had a favorite girl who would come to dinner at least once a week. It was always on the day that I burned the stew! Really!!! How many people can burn stew?? Everytime she came for a visit, there were thunderstorms that forced us inside so BBQ was out! As an alternative, I would make biscuits and stew! I always burned the stew...not the biscuits! She and I laughed about it for the longest time while she accused me of trying to get rid of her....in jest, of course. It worked. She dropped Robin and started dating my little brother Tom! My mom never burned the stew! LOL!!Burnt Biscuit Bakery!! How funny! Maybe my eaterie would have to be called
Sheila's Burnt Urban Gourmet Stew, guaranteed to get rid of future X Daughters in Law! LOL!! I know...not funny! Still laughing...goodnight!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Three Cups of Tea is indeed an interesting read, about Greg Mortenson's humanitarian efforts to reduce poverty and bring education to girls in Afghanistan and Pakistan. The title comes from a Balti proverb:

"The first time you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger. The second time, you are an honored guest. The third time you become family."

I've enjoyed the mentions of Tony Hillerman, an old "friend" of mine, and Amy Tan, who has imparted much wisdom and many ideas which I've pondered over the years. Richard North Patterson is a good read, but I developed a real "thing" a few years ago for James Lee Burke, whose books are absolutely lyrical in places, between bouts of mayhem. Like many authors, his later work doesn't hold up as well as the early books, and I've lost my total fascination, but if you haven't read his Dave Robicheaux series (mostly set in Louisiana), I think you'll find them worth your time.

Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns is definitely worthwhile, though whether one will like it better than The Kite Runner depends (as so many things) on the perspective and experiences of the reader.

And ... for years I've been recommending the Harry Potter series to people ... it's not just for children, as the books are written for several levels of understanding. I started reading the first one with my granddaughter Morgan, who lost interest, but I was hooked and was not disappointed throughout the series, though two of the books are not quite the equals of the others. I thought J.K. Rowling ended the series perfectly, although I do miss being able to anticipate the next book.

Oldies but Goodies: In high school, I read a lot of Ayn Rand (previously remarked on the blog) and even though like most philosophies, Rand's Objectivism is rigid and impractical in the "real" world, there are still interesting thoughts to be mined. Also, I do like a good, sweeping tale based on historical events, and still occasionally revisit such books as Leon Uris's Exodus and Mila 18 (again, like so many authors, Uris's later work became terribly derivative and lacking his earlier spark), James Clavell's Shogun (better than Tai-Pan and Noble House, I think) and Herman Wouk's The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance. If you missed out on these books when they first came around, you might enjoy going back and picking up on them.

)O(

Anonymous said...

Nicki, I don't get to check the blog very often, but when I do it's always a pleasure to read what you have written. You write so very , very well, and everything you post is always both enjoyable and informative reading.

I had to chuckle when I read about your relationship with books. I, too, am a voracious reader and seldom travel anywhere without a book. If I have a doctor's appointment or am going to be in a situation that involves any amount of waiting, I carry along a book to keep me from griping internally about wasted time--not to mention a wasted opportunity to learn something. Sharon is also a big reader, and she jokes that while I read "good books," she reads "books that are good." By that she means that she reads novels that are exciting and entertaining while I tend to read books that aim at informing and educating. Of course, that's not entirely true, since I am as big a fan of good novels as I ever was--I just tend to gravitate to nonfiction works. However, a few years ago, a friend of ours turned us on to the novels of Harlen Coben, and I've become a big fan of his. In my bookcase I count 13 novels that he has written; and, according to Sharon, each one of them is great. I haven't read them all, but I have read all those that feature a character named Myron Bolitar--an ex-NBA player turned sports agent who, somehow, manages to find himself in situations requiring him to function as a detective in concert with a wealthy friend of his who, although questionable in the "ethics" department, has as keen a sense for righting injustice as Myron does. (Whew! That was certainly a long sentence, wasn't it? I have thoroughly enjoyed these novels and always look forward to another Myron Bolitar novel from Harlen Coben's talented pen.

Again, let me say how much I enjoy your posts--and all the accompanying comments from your classmates and friends. Keep up the good work. I know everyone who visits the blog is thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Darryl,

I had to smile when you shared Sharon's description of the differences in the books you each choose to read. That fits Jim and me perfectly. He, too, reads "good books"--strictly non-fiction. He has a huge library of basketball related books. I have always said that he is a master of the game because he has studied it from every angle which is one of the reasons he was such a good coach.

He also has a huge and growing collection of golf related books and he is indeed a dedicated student of the sport. Now he is also branching out into physical fitness books of all kinds.

He also studies (reads over and over) many other motivational and philosophical related books and authors. When he is reading the Bible, I often tease him by asking if it is a "good book". He just gives me an exasperated look and I laugh.

Like Sharon I read books that are good. (only fiction) When I find an author that I like, I read every one I can find until I have devoured them all. Harlen Coben is one of my newer authors that I am currently reading through. I have a long list of new releases that I need to get to the library so I can be on the reserve list. Jonathan Kellerman is also a favorite and I am two releases behind. I suspect that Sharon and I might have many authors in common that we enjoy.

Great to hear from you as always!

Anonymous said...

Darryl...Dear Mr Morris...I must agree with you about Nicki. She is an excellent writer. She and Jennifer make for good company.