Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gifts ... Synchronicities ... and Tea ....

[giftofrain_plain_low.jpg]

I recently read a wonderful book, The Gift of Rain, the first novel by author Tan Twan Eng (oddly, and rarely at least in my experience, a lawyer with a lyrical soul and a metaphysical bent). For me, the book was a true "find" ... a "gift" itself.... I ordered the book "cold" ... without a recommendation from anyone, and certainly not because I knew the author or his work, but simply because I stumbled upon a brief mention of it somewhere, and the title somehow caught and "called" to me. When the book arrived, I opened it in great anticipation and read Tan's first paragraphs:

I was born with the gift of rain, an ancient soothsayer in an even more ancient temple once told me.

This was back in a time when I did not believe in fortunetellers, when the world was not filled with wonder and mystery. I cannot recall her appearance now, the woman who read my face and touched the lines on my palms. She said what she was put into this world to say, to those for whom her prophecies were meant, and then, like every one of us, she left.

I know her words had truth in them, for it always seemed to be raining in my youth. ... the one impression that remains now is of rain, falling from a bank of low floating clouds, smearing the landscape into a Chinese brush painting. Sometimes it rained so often I wondered why the colors around me never faded, were never washed away, leaving the world in moldy hues.

I was a goner from the first line. And so once again I abandoned myself to the remarkable poetry which may be found in the juxtaposition of elegant, often startling prose and trenchant thought. I found myself awed by the "wonder and mystery" conjured by the book, caught up in one of those "magical" experiences that sometimes come to us at random times of our lives ... unexpected occurrences which may open doors or shed illumination into the recesses of the mind, which continue to resonate in the fastness of the soul. In some places Tan's prose left me just absolutely breathless ... words, you know ... but it also proved to be a book of seemingly inexplicable synchronicities that upon later reflection turn out to be totally explicable, ultimately serendipitous and life-affirming.

Toward the end of the book, Tan's protagonist Philip Hutton explained "the gift of rain" in these words:

The fortune-teller, long since dead, said I was born with the gift of rain. I know now what she meant. Her words had not been a curse, nor had they been words of blessing. Like the rain, I had brought tragedy into many people's lives but, more often than not, rain also brings relief, clarity and renewal. It washes away our pain and prepares us for another day, and even another life. Now that I am old, I find that the rains follow me and give me comfort, like the spirits of all the people I have ever known and loved. ...

We [all are] beings capable of love and memory. These capabilities are the greatest gifts given to us.... And that is the point of life itself, I whisper into the night....

When I finished the book, I turned back to the first and read it again ... which I am also prone to do with books that move me, or impart something of great interest. In doing so, I put off moving on to a few other books I'd been eagerly looking forward to reading ... but sometimes one must linger for a while in lovely, soul-stirring places.

Buddhist temple in the mountains, 11th Century, ink on silk

Buddhist Temple in the Mountains, 11th century, ink on silk, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City (Missouri).Even after my second reading, I found it difficult to stop thinking of the themes and the imagery of Tan's book. I loved his description of rain "smearing the landscape into a Chinese brush painting." Growing up in a small, dusty corner of the Texas Panhandle, my metaphor would likely have run to sand storms thick with grit carried on wild, howling winds that sometimes literally blackened the sun, causing the street lamps to feebly flicker at noon, while cars crept slowly past preceded by spectral headlights. Still, I could not help but recall how often the farmers and other citizens of Childress County were thankful for the literal gift of rain, when it came on time and in the proper amounts to make the red dirt surrounding that town fertile and sustaining for another year. If the rains were late, or too early, or filled with hail, the longed for and much-needed gift could and did take the form of a nightmare, destroying fields and seeds and hopes for the future.

Like Philip Hutton and his creator, I know we are given many gifts in our lives, although sometimes they don't come at the right time, or in the right way, or we don't recognize them or their worth when they are tendered to us. Of course not all gifts are good; more likely, as Hutton articulated, many of our gifts are neither blessings nor curses ... frequently they are "good" or "bad" only when defined by the ways in which we use them.

Some gifts are loud, exuberant and splashy ... others are quiet and reflective, appearing slender and insubstantial, but forged with the strength of a tempered blade ... still others, like the gift of the apple to Snow White, are insidiously poisonous ... some are consumed quickly and greedily, burned to ash or dissipated by profligate use ... and some are carefully guarded and nurtured to provide illumination and sustain us for all our lives ... "until time and times are done" as my old "friend" W.B. Yeats magically wrote.


Some gifts inure to our benefit, others prove detrimental to us and to those around us. One of my greatest gifts (although sometimes a decidedly mixed blessing) which Yahn and I (and others) have mentioned on the blog, is my "infernal" memory. While I am sure that my memory can on occasion cause discomfort to some, or incredulity in others, it has been a saving gift of grace to me more than once in this life. I am also blessed in the gift of time I have been given ... approximately at this point 22,500 days, and counting (I hope)....

These conjoined gifts of memory and time have helped me retrieve one gift I casually devalued and attempted to discard when I was younger and less appreciative ... I speak here of the gift of once living in a particular town, in a particular place and time. Growing up in Childress ... like life itself ... was not without pain and consequences; we are often called upon to "pay" for our gifts in one way or another. Nevertheless, the ability to remember the past, and the time and maturity to put my memories in context and analyze them as they relate to my life today ... to learn the lessons I need to learn in this life for the times to come ... are indeed priceless.


Which leads me to reflect on another priceless gift ... Nicki's "gift" of this blog to all of us ... and the treasured gift to me when she asked me to be her partner in this effort. Over the past several months, we have been warmed, amazed, gratified and nurtured by all of you who read the blog, who have shared your thoughts and your memories of a time we all experienced together. We've loved hearing the stories of your families and the people you have become in the years since graduation. Like Rashomon, however, referred to in my recent post L'Affaire des Mots ... Wishin' and Hopin' ... and It's Only Words... (published April 20, 2008) ... memories are frequently subjective and dependent on the mindset and agenda of the narrator. It is only by weaving our memories together, taking cognizance of the differences and the similarities, that we may begin to apprehend a semblance of the way things really were once upon a long time ago.

Nicki and I have also reveled in the knowledge that as time has passed, there are more and more of you reading the blog, and we are always looking for ways to bring more of your "voices" to this forum. In recent conversations, we have speculated that some wonderful memories and life experiences were shared in the earlier days of the blog ... thoughts which might stimulate comments and stories from those who have only joined us in the past few days or months. We have also acknowledged that because of the way the blog has grown, some of you may find the thought of reading it in its entirety daunting ... or if you have taken the time to read, you may have failed to leave comments because you thought no one would notice them on some early topic post. Perhaps you read the posts when they were published, but were not yet comfortable in sharing your voices "in public". Or maybe you left a comment then and thought of something else later, but didn't go back.

Calligraphy and painting by Zhao Mengfu

Zhao Mengfu (Zi'ang), an outstanding calligrapher and painter, advocated the mixture of old tradition into calligraphy and painting to create the Yuan style.And so we have decided to periodically rerun certain topic posts from 2007, along with the comments that accrued to them, even as the blog continues with new posts on its (and our) journey into the future. As ever, we hope you will enjoy all these posts, whether you are a first-time visitor or an old friend, and that you find comfort, humor, reverie, insight and understanding in them. Look for them under the "Oldies But Goodies" heading, starting early next week.

Coincidentally (?) with these ruminations on
The Gift of Rain, a story of the relationship between a student and his teacher, the first post published on the blog deals with memories of some of our teachers at CHS, and we urge you all to share new comments on this "old" post.

In his book Messages from the Masters, Brian L. Weiss, M.D., refers to the Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hahn, who likened life to a cup of tea, saying that one "must be in the present moment, mindful and aware, to enjoy the tea.... If you are [always] ruminating about past events or worrying about future ones, the tea will be gone. You drank it but you do not remember, because you were not aware." But I believe it is inarguable that our memory of drinking that tea, of the moments that we held and savored it, experienced the warmth and the aroma and the taste, increases our awareness and contributes immeasurably to the sum of our personal and unique lives. Socrates said that the unexamined life is not worth living. Sometimes in the rush of daily life, we may forget to reflect and examine. The blog can be our key ... to yesterday, today and tomorrow ... if we accept and utilize the gift.

The Sakyamuni Buddha, by Zhang Shenwen, Song Dynasty (1173-1176 C.E.)

The Sakyamuni Buddha, by Zhang Shengwen, 1173-1176 AD, Song Dynasty.
Yahn is fond of posing the question: "Who is the 'I' who knows that I have changed?" Or as Tan Twan Eng wrote:

There were times when I wondered whether it really all happened or whether everything was a dream, like the [philosopher Matsuo Basho's] dream of the butterflies.... Does the philosopher dream of the butterfly, or is he merely the butterfly's dream?

Without introspection and examination, life consists of wandering from one event to another, without awareness, knowledge and growth. It is the difference between "existing" and truly living. I think the blog reminds us that there are other layers and levels of this life, and may help us recognize forgotten goals and dreams to which we may yet aspire.

Each of us who "owns" the blog, every one of us whether a contributor or a reader, is interested ... we are listening ... and we want to hear ....

)O(

My Photo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read blog fairly consistently lately & "youse guys" are sooooo good --

Always heard retired folks saying "I don't know how I got anything done while working" --- well, I really understand -- seems like sometimes I'm backing up instead of going forward -- But I will keep reading....

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

My comment to Yahn.

Yo, Dude,

That's heavy!

"Who is the "I" who knows that I have changed?"

A shy skinny girl with bad hair from from the CHS graduating class of 1963??? She did have a nice smile though.

Anonymous said...

Whether gifts are "good" or "bad" sometimes depends on your perspective. I like this joke:

I was with my wife at my high school reunion, and I kept staring at a drunken lady swigging her drink as she sat alone at a
nearby table. My wife asked: "Do you know her?"

"Yes," I sighed, "she's my old girlfriend. I understand she took to drinking right after we
split up those many years ago, and I hear she hasn't been sober
since."

"My God!" says my wife. "Who would think a person could go on
celebrating that long?"

So you see, there really are at least 2 ways to look at everything--

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

After having been gone for a few days, I am happy to be home and to have time to comment on the latest post to the blog. Jennifer’s post was inspired after having read the novel, The Gift of Rain, and I am so happy that she has chosen to share her observations with us.

Over our very long weekend interspersed with four youth league baseball games, Jim and I talked a bit about the “gifts” that we have received in our lives. As we read Jennifer’s reflection on the gifts of having grown up in Childress and her infernal memory, which by the way, I find absolutely incredible, Jim was quick to tell me that for him growing up in Childress was indeed a gift and a blessing. It was in Childress that he grew up surrounded by a family from whom he received the gift of unconditional love. Jim describes himself as being an over-achiever who was able to become a good athlete because this loving family along with coaches and friends instilled in him confidence that he was good and therefore, making it possible for him to achieve far more than he thought possible. It was, also, during this time that Jim’s incredible friend, Don Kaplan, moved to Childress, and it was from Don that he received the gift of golf which has had an lifelong impact on many of the events occurring in his life.

As Jennifer pointed out many of our gifts come at the wrong time and for some of us it takes a while to decide to accept what we have been given. For a great part of his life, Jim had wanted to coach basketball, but for many reasons he was unable to decide what he needed to do to achieve that goal. It was only at the age of 40 that he received his degree and become a teacher/coach. It was after this time that the real gift of his life was realized and that was the gift of working with kids not just as a coach but as a mentor, positively influencing the lives of countless kids with whom he came into contact.

Like Jennifer, Jim has a gift of memory with a limitless ability to remember people and events especially of the past. Perhaps one of Jim’s greatest gifts is the gift for laughter. He can be quite the storyteller and jokester with a reputation for keeping his co-workers and friends in “stitches”, and even though I try hard not to laugh at some of the corny jokes he tells, I find myself on occasion laughing despite myself. This comes from someone who can never tell a joke no matter how hard she tries!

For me, one of the things that has driven a large part of my life is what I consider a gift for the love of learning. I loved school and continue to do so. I consider myself a lifelong student and it gives me pleasure to learn new things every day. My love of learning has made it possible for me to continue working with computers and technology. Unlike Jennifer and Jim, I do not have the gift of memory, but rather the gift of forgetting. However, I share the belief that even though my life in Childress was brief, I, too received life long gifts of friendship and love during my time there and for that I am grateful.

Tea is my very favorite drink as I have stated before. I consider it to be a true gift that I give myself daily. I think I have mentioned that one of my refrigerator magnets says, “Where There is Tea, There is Hope.” Naturally I love the analogy of savoring tea with the way we should live and enjoy life-savoring the moment without dwelling on the past or future. I never cease to be amazed at the way we spend much of our lives wishing it away. “I can’t wait until summer.” “We’ll travel when we have more money.” “I hope that Christmas will hurry and get here.” “I can’t wait for Christmas to be over.” “When I retire, I will enjoy life.” While we are blessed with the gift of time, it is a gift that has no guarantees beyond today. Look for the gifts of each day and open them slowly and with joy and don’t forget to share!

As humans we were all given the gift of life. Along with comes a free will and power of choice to live our lives as we choose be it good or bad. In that regard, I share one of Jim's favorite quotes with you:

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Leo Buscaglia


BTW, Jennifer I loved the rain metaphor and I loved your metaphor of sand storms. I might use a metaphor of endless wind, bending trees, long lines of tumbleweeds bouncing mindlessly down streets and alleys in eager pursuit of a resting place only to find themselves unwelcome guests at the back yard party. If only I had your gift of imagery with words!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Pat, so glad you are reading and will keep on keepin' on ... and that you actually enjoy what we have written. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

*****

Nicki, your analogy about the tumbleweeds bouncing mindlessly down the streets and becoming unwelcome guests turned on a light bulb in those recesses of my mind!!! I think we've got a couple of those guys holed up in our guest bedroom.... Yahn thought they were my relatives and I thought they were his ... of course neither of us wanted to hurt the other's feelings, so.... They don't eat much, but getting them into and out of the car to drive them around town to see the sights can get a little prickly!!!! Fortunately they don't talk a lot! Now that we're onto 'em, perhaps we'll lull them into a false sense of security for the next six months or so, then ambush and spray 'em silver, throw on some glitter and stack 'em like snowmen, as some of the ladies in Childress used to do at Christmas way back when.... (grin)

Your story about Jim's realizing his gift for teaching-mentoring, and your love of school and learning, reminded me of another passage in Dr. Brian Weiss's book, Messages from the Masters. Weiss mentions Jesuit Priest and psychologist Tony Mello, who tells a story about awakening, about becoming AWARE that we are "asleep" in everyday ruts:

A father becomes notices that his son is oversleeping again and will be late for school. He raps repeatedly on his son's door, calling loudly:

"Wake up, wake up! You'll be late for school!"

"I don't want to go to school," the son answers.

"Why not?" asks the father

"Three reasons," the son responds. "First, because school is so boring; second, because the kids tease me all the time; and third, I hate school."

"I am going to give you three reasons why you must go to school," the father retorts, "First, because it is your duty; second, because you are 45 years old; and third, because you are the headmaster."

NOT implying that you and Jim are in ruts ... FAR from it!!!! I just thought you guys (and anyone with an educational background ... or a sense of humor) would appreciate the joke. Yahn loves it....

*******

Rae, so good to see you back on the blog ... and thanks for the grin on a rainy day.... Hope to hear more from you, and see some of YOUR Paris/London pictures soon....

)O(