Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Darryl Morris: Musings and Memories ....

We received this missive to the blog from Darryl Morris, written before the "Noah" post, but only received afterward, and wanted to share it with all of you.

Dear Nicki,

Despite my very busy retirement life (Ha!), I’ve been checking your class blog occasionally and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts and comments. You’ve done a really good thing by setting all this up to provide a venue for your classmates to relive fond memories and to keep in touch. I wish my own Quail High School Class of 1956 had done such a thing, but it’s too late for us to attempt it now. First of all, only a few of the remaining 17 members (from a class of 22) even have computers. Secondly, primarily due to health considerations, none would have the time or energy to maintain the project at the high level you’ve established in your own blog.

Although I am reluctant to “horn in” on the Class of 1963’s very special and very personal space, I have wanted for quite some time to express my gratitude for the nice remarks that you, Jennifer, Sheila Davis-Martinez, and Betty Smith Merritt have made about me. Despite my gratitude, however, I find it so very hard to believe that in my bumbling first efforts at teaching, I had the personal impact expressed in the aforementioned comments; and I find myself wondering what on earth I must have done to warrant such nice remarks. When I was teaching at CHS, I was, to tell the truth, very insecure about my qualifications; and I didn’t think I was doing anything out of the ordinary—I was just hoping I could find some way for my students to come to enjoy poetry, literature, and just learning things as much as I did. I generally went home every afternoon hoping I hadn’t made a fool of myself and hoping as well that I hadn’t somehow led some student astray. Regardless, I am most appreciative—and most humbled—by all that I have read.

Several names have come up in the various posts and comments that have triggered memories of my own, and I would like to touch upon them here. First, I saw the name of Bettye Shahan. During my senior year at Quail, we played baseball against Childress; and if I recall correctly, the Childress pitcher—and a good one he was—was named Bill Shahan. Is this her brother? I also remember that a fellow named F. A. Davis was a member of the Childress baseball team, but I think F. A. was probably in the class of ’56 or thereabouts.

I also noted Shirley Neel’s name. I remember that on one of my Army leaves, I visited my old high school buddy Dean Maxwell in Childress, and we had a night out at the Country Club. Two or three of my former students were there (I wish I could remember who they were), and we had a nice visit. One of them was Shirley Neel. And, if I remember correctly, someone talked Shirley into singing with the band that was playing that night. I think she sang a country song, although I can’t say for sure. What I do remember very clearly, however, is that I thought Shirley had a very, very good voice.

I’ve seen the names of Don Seal and Jimmy “Atlas” Czewski come up in the blog on a couple of occasions. I really enjoyed knowing those two characters. I remember that I used to pronounce Jimmy’s name as “C-zoosky” to see if I could get a rise out of him, but he took it very well. On one occasion he and Don Seal took me on a spelunking adventure through some gypsum caves in someone’s cow pasture. I thoroughly enjoyed the outing with those two fun-loving guys. I recalled the cave adventure when I was in Vietnam and performed one stint as a tunnel rat—which was not enjoyable.

I remember Barry Wakefield as an excellent speaker; and I also remember a couple of other “wild thangs” in my class: Chicken Mitchell and Doug Greer.

In his picture, Wayne Havens looks like he’s feeling great. Obviously he’s doing great as an educator. One of my graduating classmates from Quail was Bob Havens, who now lives in Clarendon. I wonder if they are relatives.

I’ve seen references to the Saieds in a couple of comments. Another group of the Saieds also lived in Wellington. Mack and Fred Saied owned and operated the Leader clothing store there in town. Mack has long been retired, but he and his wife Lam are both still very active in the community, with Mack being particularly active in the VFW. Fred Saied married Barbara Farha from Childress, and they moved to Kansas where Fred also had a clothing store until he passed away some years ago. Barbara went to North Texas State College, and I saw her quite often when I would travel from SMU to Denton to visit with a Wellington buddy named Don Rayburn. We spent a lot of time in the commons area of Barbara’s dormitory, just visiting and joking around with her and two or three of her college friends. I recently saw Barbara at a Wellington High School reunion, and she was still as lively and fun-loving as ever. I remember that I taught Barbara’s little sister (whose name I’m ashamed to say has just escaped me) during my last year at CHS.

I also coached the freshman boys basketball team during my last year there. I don’t think we won a game that season, but the blame rests on bad coaching alone since the young men on the team were definitely a talented bunch.

Congratulations to Jim on his induction into the Panhandle Sports Hall of Fame. One of our athletes from Quail High School is also a recent inductee. Her name is Jo Helen White Cabbell. She was an outstanding basketball player in high school, and she played with a team called Dowell’s Dolls when she was in college. Additionally, she was on the women’s basketball team which took gold in the 2nd Pan American Games in 1955. I had the pleasure (and honor) of writing a letter of recommendation for her induction into the PSHF.

I’ve rambled on far too long, so I’ll bring this to a close. I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed your blog and to congratulate you for the wonderful job you have done in setting it up and maintaining it. Jennifer’s posts and all other comments have also been a delight to read, and I hope that more and more members of your class will soon start making their own contributions.

Sincerely,

Darryl Morris

18 comments:

Jennifer Johnston said...

I think I am safe in saying that your "ramblings" are always welcome on the blog. The blog is NOT exclusive to members of the CHS Class of 1963, although of course that is its focus. We have had some wonderful comments from Mike Spradley (who started with us, but actually graduated in Lubbock), Jim Spradley, Sr. (Mike's dad), Lynn Purcell Durham (Class of 1964), Tom Higley (Class of 1956), and "cat's meow" (one of Nicki's daughters). So please feel free to join us whenever you are able and/or the spirit moves you.

Despite your misgivings about your first years of teaching, you did have SUCH a positive effect on many of us, and we are SO pleased to be able to tell you after lo these many years. (Sometimes we are not given the opportunity.) Indeed, it is possible that to some extent, at that time, your qualms and uncertainties meshed nicely with our own adolescent insecurities and angst, creating a "memorable" symbiosis. You were, after all, not very much older than we were, but we were most fortunate to have had the benefit of your innate teaching skills and insights.

To my knowledge, the only Saieds left in Childress these days are Mary (Alex's widow) and Najla. Sammy, Mary and Alex's son, lives in Amarillo. As for Barbara Farha, if her "little sister" is Celia Farha, Celia was one class ahead of us.

Shirley has been singing since she was a child. Her dad Willard and her uncle Glenn (JoAnn's Dad) were both musicians, I believe. At least I know Willard was. I will e-mail her about your post, in case she is not keeping up with the blog.

Loved the reminiscences about Don Seal and "Atlas" C-zooski. Mike Spradley has promised us a story about the time he and Don and Jimmy were freshman cheerleaders (really!) at CHS ... and we are awaiting the tale with great anticipation. (Mike, don't make me send Bruno ....)

Again, please DO drop in on us whenever you like. You are SO welcome here ....

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Darryl Morris,

You are always welcome on our blog. As Jennifer pointed out we are not an exclusive group, and as everyone can see, we rejoice when we are visited by any of our friends, classmates, teachers and family members!

You mentioned Bill Shahan and he is, indeed, Bettye's brother. At one time he lived in Abilene where Bettye lives today, but Jim and I were thinking that perhaps he has moved from there. Bettye is still teaching and she is very proud of her two sons. We would love to hear from her! F.A. Davis, according to Jim has retired and is living in Florida.

It really is amazing what bits of information we can remember. As time goes on I remember less and less, but Jim still has vivid memories of his youth in Childress. He told me that one of the things that he remembers is that you would on occasion play basketball with him and some of the other guys at JJ Rhoades School in the evenings. I think he loved going there and playing the game. Now he loves teaching the grandsons the skills of the sports that they play.

Once again we are so glad to have you visit our blog. Stop by as often as you like!

Anonymous said...

Dear Darryl Morris,
If life ever gives us another day to spend together,I, for one, will tell you things that will make you very pleased with your days teaching in Childress. It wasn't that you opened doors, it was the way you opened them.
It is a blessing to have your thoughts on our blog. Please do not hesitate to stop in and share comments. That would certainly brighten our days. You are a part of us.

Anonymous said...

Alright, class! Everybody on this blog has forgotten me except my BFF Jennifer.

Mr. Morris! I know it probably isn’t tops on your radar, but I haven’t forgotten the poetry reading I did at Wellington for UIL. You had carefully coached me to not rush, and what did I do? A three-minute reading was done in no more than 60 seconds, due to probably the only case of stage fright I’ve ever had in my ham-bone life. I didn’t know, at that age, that students were allowed to talk to teachers, so I never apologized to you for screwing up so badly. I apologize profoundly and profusely. If I could do it again today (and many times I’ve wished for a do-over), I promise, we’d both get Oscars--me for performance, you for Director of the Year. I remember your picture of Jacqueline Kennedy on the bulletin board, still the gold standard for First Ladies. I remember the story you wrote about the brand new gear a soldier had to have (to his own detriment), and I remember your love of a good phrase or a good book. I remember your sticking up for me when another teacher gave me a downgrade on a term paper for what HE thought was incorrect punctuation. (I was RIGHT, so there!) See, teachers never know what they say, or do, that makes all the difference. Sounds like you made a difference to many of us. (PS: I remember that cave thing…my first date EVER was with Jimmy Czewski and he invited me freshman year to the Bonehead Boys annual cookout, and we crawled through those caves. If only he knew how claustrophobic I was.)

Sprad, when you write that story about being a freshman cheerleader, you’d better not forget ME! We were there together, although as an alternate I didn’t get to participate much at the games. You and Don Seal (my cousin-in–law) were a hoot at the practices at Pat Harmon’s house.

I made twirler in junior year and that was more fun than should be allowed. Sheila Davis, Pat Davenport, Marsha Harris, Brenda, Tanya, and I, were SO into it. I still get an occasional email from Marsha Harris Thomas who now lives in Rockwall (I go through Rockwall all the time to visit my son and family in Greenville). I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m lovin’ this “senior citizen” retirement thing. I retired in May, and Wayne and I rest in the a.m. and recline in the p.m. (I’m kidding!) When someone tells me I look too young to be retired, I just say I’m too short to be this old. Girls, I’m nearly at broad as I am tall now, but pass the chocolate. Life’s too short. I can’t stand that some of our classmates and friends, like Johnny and James Roy, won’t be at our Las Vegas reunion. I KNOW Johnny would have enjoyed it. I hope to see the others I always sat by in class and assembly for years (alphabetically, don’cha know): Tommy Catherall, J. R. Bell (just got an email from him recently), and the folks behind me who always kicked my chair. (You KNOW who are!!!)

Jenn’s already told you where I am and about my family, so I won’t bore you with more of same.

To all who haven’t joined the blog yet: Please let us hear from you. I remember all my classmates fondly, even if we weren’t close, or hardly ever spoke, just taking each other for granted every day. I SO enjoy reading the blog and I hope you’ll sign in and at least let us know you’re still around, whether or not you’re still annoying like me, and tell us what you’re up to. I love life stories and what you did with yours. We’re all in our “good” years now. I think I’ve become a grown-up at last (immaturity aside), and cherish those days of pep rallies and football games and teen canteen. I actually spent 12 years in school with some of you: Wayne Havens, Doug Greer, Linda Sally Doyal, Preston Stevens, and the late Johnny McConnell and Paula Leach Schubarth. The other families on our street were: Self, Stevens, Leach, Greer, and Havens. There are others, I’m sure, others my aging memory can’t recall, and most certainly should. Apologies all around. Dredge up all the happy memories you can muster and let’s use this blog for all it’s worth!

Love ....

Anonymous said...

My eyes lit up when I saw the name of Reed Lockhoof. Why? I've never met the man! However, I have heard his name countless times over the years.

I look forward to seeing more from him, as well.

Oh, and by the way, I laughed and laughed over the story about dad and "Sprad" at the golf course. I always knew my dad was an ornery kid.

Anonymous said...

... in a telephone conversation with Jennifer this morning (Thursday, 8 November):

Reed remembers Darryl Morris very well, and was very happy to have an update on Darryl's life (and updates on others from our class) since we left CHS.

Like Jim, Reed particularly remembers playing basketball with Darryl and Jim and others at J.J. Rhodes on some evenings, and how much fun it all was, and what a great guy Darryl was, noting (as some have already in various sections of the blog) that Darryl was only 8 or so years older than the rest of us, and therefore ipso facto "cooler" than many of our older teachers.

Reed was not aware of the blog or the Las Vegas Reunion until we talked, but promised he will check it all out ... and maybe, just maybe ... will leave a comment himself after he has read it. (This "comment" is posted with his permission.)

Reed is enthusiastic about the class reunion next year, and will look for, and look forward to receiving, additional information. BTW, Jim ... Reed is still an avid golfer, so will likely be very interested in your arrangements for an afternoon on the links.

And Mike ... Reed remembers you and Don and C-zooski, and some of your escapades, and is also looking forward to your story.

Reed also has good memories of many in our class ... were your ears burning today? ... and may share them with us himself on the blog one day.

Jennifer says: Reed and I had a long and really great conversation. It was fun to talk about the "old" days, and more recent days, and about days to come (like the LV Reunion!!!). Reed is an attorney in the Texas Attorney General's Office and will complete 30 years of service there soon, at which time he contemplates retirement or semi-retirement (those greens fees at his country club are killer!).

I have Reed's e-mail address, and he asked me to share it with anyone who wants it, which I will be happy to do. We'll look forward to hearing from, and seeing him in Las Vegas ....

Jennifer Johnston said...

Dear LK: Your comment is just as fabulous as I knew it would be, and we are thrilled to at last "hear" your very distinctive and articulate "voice". (I know I was a major nag, but the result was definitely worth it!)

Your stories and your wit have always made me smile, if not laugh outright. You have one of the biggest and most constant hearts of anyone I've ever known, and much wisdom to share, and I am ever grateful for our long and loving and supportive friendship. In short (no pun intended), you are definitely BFF.

Can't wait until we can find a piano (in Las Vegas?) and bang out another few choruses of "Heart and Soul", "Little Darlin'" and other oldies but goodies. In the meantime, pass the wine ... and the chocolate!!! We've got a lot of livin' and sharin' left to do!!!! And ... Paris and London await!!!

Love you, sister-woman ....

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Linda Kay,

Welcome to our blog at last! Your comment was terrific and I am looking forward to more of your wonderful sense of humor and your shared memories.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Reed,
It is wonderful that we have actually made contact with you. I think Jim can tell Reed stories for hours. You guys had great golfing days to share. It's too bad that we have had so little contact with you and Nancy since the Tech days. It will be great to see more of you on the blog and hopefully in Las Vegas.

Anonymous said...

My Dear Linda Kay,
You are anything but forgotten. I just didn't know how loud you could type!
What would we do without Jennifer keeping us all updated on each others lives. That is a great responsibility for her. Maybe we should take up some of the slack and tell our own versions of our lives.
Looking forward to hearing more from you in your "retirement".
Dang, I wish I could retire. All I have ever done is raise kids(great ones at that) and "do my thang", whatever it was at the moment.

I will have to tell you one thing. I have kept my promise to you and have never drunk a Sloe Gin Fizz because you told me that they were "really bad" way back when we were at our Sr Party at some motel...I do not recall the place. Even though I worked many years as a bartender, I have honored our promise..."Never drink Sloe Gin".
I am hoping to hear more from you and from Joann???...Shirley??. Reed Lockhoof, where are you? We live in the same "weird town".
Nicki, your blog is a godsend. Thanks.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Sheila, you are SO right. The blog IS a godsend ... and magic. And again, many thanks to Nicki for getting it all started. Sometimes I marvel at the true ease of communication we enjoy in these times. It seems almost odd to think that just century or so ago, families and friends who moved any great distance from each other sometimes lost touch completely, for the rest of their lives. Even more "recently" than a century, I remember my grandmother telling me about one of her brothers who left Childress County to "ride the rails" during the Great Depression, and was NEVER heard from again by his family. I know it always bothered my grandmother that she had absolutely NO idea what happened to her little brother, who of course is long dead, or planning to contend somewhere for the title of "Oldest Living ...."

I have recently re-connected with a former classmate, Sharon Woolfolk Buck, who many of you will remember, as she remembers us. We have exchanged some e-mails, and I have directed her to the blog, which she is reading, and she definitely wants to join us. With her permission, I have edited some of her e-mails, which appear below. I hope all of you who remember Sharon, or just would like to "meet" and "connect" with another of our classmates from long ago, will welcome her and that we will have some direct contributions and memories from her soon. She has asked me to pass along her e-mail address to anyone who asks, and I will be happy to do so.

The last time I saw or heard from Sharon was when she looked me up in Denver, while I was at the University of Colorado, in 1967.

My husband Yahn is also toying with the idea of making an appearance here ("in person", as opposed to just all my talking about him). Like some others, he has expressed some trepidation about "butting in" on our class, but I have told him that his "voice" is welcome as well. We all grew up at the same time, even if miles apart, and he has come to know and appreciate many of my friends over the past several years, so he does have many contributions to make, in his own distinctive "voice", with his wonderful sense of humor. I think we will hear from him soon.

Anonymous said...

I graduated from Rider High in Wichita Falls in '63, after my family moved from Childress. I have lived in Houston for the past 38 years, after living in Denver and Galveston. I am a graduate of the University of Houston, with a BA, MA and MS, and I am working on a MBA From Texas Women's University. I retired last year from Houston Independent School District and turned around and went back to work. I also teach writing at Houston Community College. I really like Houston. It is home.

I am an educational diagnostician. I have been in education for a long time. I have 2 kids. My daughter lives in Virginia and is the mother of a 9 year old. My son graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in '05. He is an officer in the Army. Lori is 40 and Mark is 24. My husband Bill is an attorney.

Thanks so much for the pictures. We need to catch up. I want to know all about you and there are lots of people from Childress that I would love to hear from and about. My parents are dead and I never go back to North Texas.

I remember most of the girls in the pictures. When you communicate with Pat, Linda Sally, and Linda Kay, let them know that I remember them.

I am so glad we all are connected again after all these years. I have enjoyed the blog. I tried to email you pictures but I am not computer smart so I will send you hard copies of the photos next week.

Forward my email address to all the girls. I would love to hear from them. I still consider Childress my home town. Dian Veal and I lived right down the street from each other. The last time I saw her was in Galveston. I think her husband was in medical school.

This such a GOOD THING! I would love to be part of the blog and I am looking forward to reading more. I am on my way to get my monthly "make over". My son was home for the week-end and we had a great time.

Do stay in touch!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Sharon, you realize, of course, that you have now been added to the "notification list" for the Class of 1963 Reunion October 17-18, 2008, in Las Vegas, and we so hope you and your husband will make plans to attend.

BTW, our blog friend, contributor and former teacher, Darryl Morris, who authored this particular original post, taught at West Point (well before your son's matriculation) during his long Army career, before retiring from the service as a Lt. Colonel several years ago. Perhaps one day he will share some of his Army stories with us.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cat's Meow, I must tell you that your dad, Jim Wilcoxen, along with Johnny McConnell, Mike Spradley, Jimmy Czewski, and Don Seal were some of the sweetest guys on the planet. They loved life and were always kind. Do you know how hard it is to find a husband after growning up with that kind of influence? They really made it hard on the rest of the world! We had some great guys! Reed, Jackie Petty, Joe Don Hopkins, Don Morgan, Jerry Newberry, Quentin Henderson, and Barry Wakefield, even though he always called me an "ignoramous", I knew he was just kidding....I can't think of any of them that were anything other than great.

Anonymous said...

I would love to attend the class reunion. I have never been to LV.

BTW, when I said I had been in Houston for 38 years, that was wrong. I have been in the Houston/Galveston area for 38 years. Bill and I moved to Houston when we married in 81. I lived in Galveston before that. I am looking forward to the blog. Yes, you may submit the pics when I send them. I will pick out really good ones.

Anonymous said...

Please forgive me Mr Jim Wilcoxson, for misspelling your name in my earlier email. After all, I have only known you forever. That will not happen again.

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten that I played basketball with Jim Wilcoxson and Reed Lockhoof, and it was nice to remember that.

Linda Kay, I was also delighted to see your comment. It was brimming with energy, and it definitely reveals that you are a witty, fun-loving person. I certainly hope you won't continue to feel guilty about her performance in the UIL contest. "Stuff" happens, y'know, and we all just move on.

I remember coaching Barry Wakefield one time on a speech he was to give, and he was "swallowing" the word the, and it made him sound a bit too "rural" (as if I didn't sound rural myself. Ha!); so, I had him overemphasize the word just to get him to say it more clearly. Well, I guess he got into such a habit that he overemphasized it a few times when he actually said his speech in the contest. After it was over, one of the judges critiqued him, and among other things, he asked Barry, "Who in the world told you to pronounce the so strongly and 'unnaturally'?" I confessed to the judge that I was the culprit, but didn't bother to tell him why I did so. I figured I had caused poor Barry enough embarrassment, so I just shut my mouth and apologized to him later. Like I said, we just move on . . .

Jennifer Johnston said...

I want to take the opportunity on this Veterans Day holiday to deeply and sincerely thank and acknowledge Darryl, and Mike, and all those who have served our country. It is our job and our privilege to remember and appreciate ... even if they might be inclined to modestly say they were only doing their duty....