Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Monday, November 5, 2007

Monsters Among Us ....

For the past day or so, I have been using writing, both for the original Class of 1963 blog and the Las Vegas Reunion linked blog, to distract me, and my thoughts, from something terrible which happened over the weekend, and with which I am still trying to come to grips. I even alluded in a "Comment" yesterday to Nicki's "Traditions" post that as children, we were not aware that real monsters might lurk in the houses we visited to Trick or Treat so long ago. But my mind and my heart are unsettled, and torn, and I feel that there is a genuine warning, or at least a cautionary tale, to be rendered so that perhaps someone will not make the awful mistake that I recently made. What is upsetting me so is something that has happened to one of the innocents ... the sweet little dog Noah ... perpetrated by vile people ... "monsters" among us.

As some of you know, I made a recent trip to Clarendon; a few know that the trip was made to deliver Noah, a little shelter dog we had adopted, to my daughter Shannon, who had said she would take him when problems arose with Noah and our cats. We had become concerned because of the cats, who were afraid of him, and at whom he had begun to bark and charge. We think Noah just wanted to play with them, rather than hurt them, but we were not completely certain of that, and we felt a responsibility toward the cats as well as to him. So when Shannon said she would take him, we thought it was the best of all possible solutions. And so I went to Texas.

When I arrived after a two-day trip, Shannon told me that her friend and co-worker, Wes (cursed be his name!), really, really wanted to have a little house dog like Noah, and would I let Wes take him? Despite many misgivings, and with Shannon's assurances that he was a "good guy", I met with Wes and talked with him for a while about Noah and my concerns, and he assured me that he and his family would take wonderful care of Noah. I made him promise me, several times, that if for any reason it didn't work out, anything at all, he would return Noah to Shannon, who would try to integrate him with her dog ... but if that failed, for Shannon to call me and I would return for him. Wes agreed, as did Shannon, and Shannon confirmed to him that all he had to do was call her and she would take Noah ... and he agreed again ... and so, despite my misgivings, I left him in Wes' hands and returned here. But my mind remained uneasy about Noah, somehow, and I called Shannon every other day to ask her to call Wes and get a report about how Noah was doing. The word always came back that he was doing "GREAT!" And still I worried, although Yahn tried to tell me I was being silly.

Last Friday afternoon, I got a call from the Shelter Rescue group from whom I had adopted Noah, and had my heart nearly torn from my chest. Our sweet little Noah was in Phoenix (Phoenix, for god's sake, when I had left him two states away, in Clarendon, Texas) where he had apparently been abandoned, tied up outside an animal shelter that had been closed for four months. He was in kidney failure, obviously had not had enough to eat or enough water, and had sores on him because someone had shaved ALL the hair off him ... down to the skin, still raw and red in places ... even around his face and mouth!

I called Shannon to ask what the HELL had happened, particularly in light of the reports of how GREAT Noah was doing. She called Wes and then came back to me with some story about how the dog had run away and Wes didn't know what had happened to him. IF true, Wes apparently didn't care either. I asked why he hadn't called her, so they could go out driving and looking for him, maybe post fliers, and she apparently got the equivalent of a shrug from that s-o-b. I don't think Shannon really thought there was any problem and I do believe that she would never have been a participant in such an outrage.

I doubt that we will ever really know just what happened. Nevertheless, somehow Noah ended up in Phoenix ... someone had removed his collar and tags that I had left with him, probably to keep him from being identified. So there would have been NO tracing him at all if it had not been for the microchip implanted in his neck, which traced him back to the Rescue Shelter, which called me. We left for Phoenix early the next morning, and brought poor Noah back that same day, and every time I look at him, I start to cry.

Noah left here a happy, sweet, darling little thing who wanted nothing more than to love "his" people, and to be loved by them. He is now afraid, his eyes full of hurt and fear, even his dreams tormented by the terrible things that have happened to him. We are trying so hard to nurse and nurture him back to love and trust and health, but I fear it is going to be a while before he reaches that stage. He was happy to see me at the vet clinic in Phoenix, and he now sits again with me in my (our) chair at night ... but what has happened to him is unspeakable ... and I am just hoping so hard that he will recover and be a happy, loving little dog again. I feel so guilty for having left him in Clarendon ... I should have followed my heart and, if Shannon had changed her mind, brought him back with me. But I was misled by a glib young man who ... even if he or someone in his family didn't do such horrible damage (but I think they did) ... didn't think or care enough about an innocent soul to return him to good hands, and just drove (perhaps literally) Noah away.

I know some might say, "Well, jeez, it's only a dog" ... but it is the violation of trust and innocence as much as the actual things Noah may have suffered that is making me literally sick at my stomach and dark in my soul. I cannot imagine ... indeed to some degree I am pleased my imagination is not that depraved ... how anyone with a soul or a conscience could do such a thing to a helpless animal, or a helpless child, or anything or anyone who cannot defend itself. And I can't help thinking of Noah alone, in the dark, with no food or water, possibly with predators around him, unable to even flee if danger came. When we retrieved him and began the long drive back to Las Vegas, he was so afraid that he wouldn't lie down to rest, and would just fall asleep in the car, standing up. Yesterday he began lying down, although he sometimes thrashes and whimpers in his sleep. I don't know when (or if) Noah will recover fully ... and I don't know how long it will take before I am able to consign this event to a proper place ... in the past ... in my mind. And I don't know when my heart will stop breaking to think that I put him in such a situation.

Noah is "home" now, where I so wish he had never left ... and will stay with us ... and the cats. We will find some way, and I will not give in to any other entreaties to find him another home. I made a horrible mistake ... albeit with the best of intentions, but then you know where Good Intentions Road leads ... and Noah and Yahn (who also feels terribly guilty because he urged me to find another home for Noah) and I, and the cats, will have to deal with those repercussions for a long time to come.
If you haven't microchipped your beloved animals, I recommend doing so. We "did" the cats about a year ago, and it only cost $20 per cat. Our kitties are strictly "house cats", and our little Noah is a "house" dog, but there is the odd chance that one of them might escape through a door inadvertently left open. And as Noah has proved, the microchip can greatly facilitate the return of a lost and loved pet.
And I do so ask you to say a special prayer, or at least send a good thought (for that is a prayer, in essence) to little Noah, who SO did NOT deserve what has happened to him. And know that there are "monsters" all around us ... even in the guise of nice young men ... and be wary.
Perhaps this is not a proper story for a blog dedicated to the Class of 1963. But I thought that maybe if I could write about it, it might help ... even possibly help bring someone's cherished pet home someday. And maybe it will ... somehow, sometime .... And finally, when you consider donations to charities in the upcoming holiday season, or anytime, please think to give at least a small portion to the agencies who rescue the innocents, who surely must rely upon, and be lifted, and rest "in the arms of the angels ...."

My Photo

18 comments:

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer my heart goes out to you as I know how you agonized over the decision to give Noah away. This story is truly the most horrific and truly bizarre story that I have heard in a long time. When you first started the story I was so fearful that your were going to say that Noah had died and I never dreamed he had to endure what possibly happened. I am so glad that you have him back no matter the circumstances. Please don't beat yourself up too badly over this (or Yahn). You really had the best intentions in mind when you made the decision. Of course, you had no way to imagine the depravity of those involved. I know Noah will be fine with the wonderful care he is receiving from you guys. If I ever encounter Wes from Clarendon, I will kick first and ask questions later! Give Noah pets and hugs from me.

Anonymous said...

Jenn...As I told you, I did not write the anonymous comments, but after reading your account of what happened to Noah, I wish I had. Being the dog lover I am, I cannot imagine anyone being so cruel to a poor little defenseless dog like Noah. In reality, I cannot think of any form of punishment, bad enough, for the person responsible. A word of caution, you have now rescued Noah twice,so don`t put him in a position that might require a third rescue. It might turn out to be too late.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Jim, rest assured that Noah will remain with us now no matter what. First we must get him well, and then we will find a way, even if we have to use a gentle trainer, so that he and the cats will learn how to deal with each other. I honestly think all four of them really want to be "friends" ... and they will be. He is our "forever" dog ... just as Calamity, Gaius Maximus and Antonio (Toody) are with us "forever". And Noah is definitely a fighter, otherwise I doubt he could have lived through what he has gone through. Thank heaven that it was not summertime. The heat would no doubt have killed him, without water. I NEVER turn down ... or mess up ... a second chance.

Anonymous said...

Btw…..by accident …I was anonymous….i just forgot to add my name…

I will start writing the cheerleader story……my last trip to childress really refreshed my memory about that story…..

I actually wrote that story for the 25th reunion in 1988…….Czewski and Don Seal were there and did not dispute any of it………

sprad

Anonymous said...

Jenn.....the 2nd lowest level in hell is reserved for the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao,etc......where they sit naked, chained for eternity, on outhouse like benches.....directly below the holes in the benches is the lowest level of hell....reserved for those who abuse animals and children.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, thank you so much for your kind and healing comments. They mean more to me than I can tell you.

And Mike, I agree with you 100% ....

Jennifer Johnston said...

Noah is getting better. He is much improved this evening, and has slept, peacefully and deeply, all evening with me in the chair, for the first time since we returned home with him. He still has more recovery ahead, but this has been such a good evening ... I actually didn't move out of the chair for almost five hours! Didn't want to disturb him.

As the Rescue group has on its papers: "Some might say the heroes are those thousands of dogs and cats who forgive humans for their dreadful treatment and are still willing to be our best friends." Amen to that.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you and Noah had to experience this rotten person. Monster is a good word. I have no tolerance for cruelty to animals.

I am thankful, on the other hand, that you have Noah back and can nurse him back to health. Bless his little puppy heart.

I don't know if you know this about me, but I work in a maximum security prison as a counselor for mentally ill and aggressive offenders. One of the things I look for in working for them is a history of cruelty to animals, which is a hallmark of a sociopath. There is no known cure for sociopaths. None. There is no conscience at all. That truly does justify the "monster" name you have given this guy (or whoever ultimately did the abuse).

Never in a million years will I understand hurting animals. Ever.

Anonymous said...

I just now read about Noah. I am so sorry this happened. I know how horrible you must feel, and Noah will learn to know this as he heals. He already understands what you have done for him and is appreciative with his whole little heart. I hope he will help you forgive yourself------you are your worst critic. Time will take care of a lot of hurt. As Nicki said, please don't beat yourself-----that energy can be used to help you and Noah both heal.
Our two dogs, Murray & Bogart are shelter dogs. They continue to be sheer pleasure for us.
Murray, Bogart, Don & I are sending good thoughts your way.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Dear "cat's meow" ... and dear friend Clara: Thank you both so much for your "good thoughts" sent to me, and to little Noah. Your consoling words mean a lot, and I really believe that "good vibrations" can and do help the healing process.

We have missed you, "cat's meow" ... I had wondered if you were still reading, or if we had driven you away with too much "ancient history". It is good to know you are still with us. And your comments about sociopaths are certainly "Right on!" (Sorry .... 60s flashback ....) Your job must be difficult ... at some times more than others, I am sure ... and I only hope that you have protected and insulated yourself as best you can from all the sickness and evil your are forced to confront. I know your Mom and Dad provide sympathetic ears and strong shoulders when things seem overwhelming, but I sense inner strength in you as well. Thank you again for taking time to console us.

Clara, as always, your empathy and your gift for saying lovely things when they are most needed is truly wonderful, and I am so happy that I have been privileged to get to know you better since we left CHS. Your friendship is a treasure. My gratitude ... and my best wishes ... to you, and Don, and Murray and Bogart.

Anonymous said...

I've already dropped Jennifer a note expressing my feelings about what she and poor Noah have gone through. Unfortunately I wrote it at the white heat of anger, and it wouldn't do to publish it here. Suffice it to say that any punishment is not too great for the sort of person who would abuse defenseless animals. I'll only add that cat's meow is absolutely correct in what s/he said about a history of cruelty to animals being a hallmark of a sociopath. I just hope that both Noah and Jennifer soon recover from this horrible ordeal.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! I'm still here. This is the best way I have to keep tabs on my mother and make sure she's behaving herself. :D

You know, "Willie" would tell you that the reason I might have inner strength, as you called it, is because I had to put up with him in order to grow up. (Just kidding, Dad!)

Seriously, I love the stories. I didn't make a comment on it, but the one most recently that touched me was the one about your mother, I believe, and the school kids she just HAD to make certain went to the circus. I bet she earned a few stars in Heaven for that one!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Darryl, I so appreciate the note you sent to me, which I thought was totally appropriate in tone and phraseology to the situation. I am also most appreciative that you are now posting and commenting on the blog ... your "voice" and thoughts are a great addition. Nicki and I (and others) are so glad to have you back "among" us.

"Cat's meow", I'm pleased you liked the story about my mother. It is one of my favorites. And you must be sure to stick around, closely ... both your mother AND father bear watching!!! They're actually talking about running away to Las Vegas!!! LOL ....

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Cat's Meow, also known as the mother to Luke, Princess, Bella, Bo, Mama Cat, and Koda, plus various other critters who visit from time to time. Oh yes, and Jordie.

We are always happy to have you drop in any time you like. Your insight into the "monster" involved in Noah's horrible experience is appreciated, but not comforting. While we all know that the darkness exists, we don't like the thought of coming face to face with it in our lives especially when it involves our beloved pets.

Yes, we are running away to Las Vegas, but you will have to put up with us for another 11 months before we do!

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Murray and Bogart,

What a wonderfully nice thing for you to do in sending a card to Jennifer's sweet Noah!

Pleae tell your human mom (Clara) that she is so sweet to help you with the card and for letting us share it with everyone else on the post. All three of you have brightened our day!

Jennifer Johnston said...

I so want to again thank everyone who has left a comment, or sent an e-mail, or called, or all of the above, in response to this post. I really believe that all the good thoughts are helping Noah's recovery and psyche.

Noah had another peaceful night last night, and although his appetite had been increasing daily, today he really seems to be enjoying his food ... and wanting more of it ... which of course he shall have as he needs to get his strength back.

Clara sent me a really cute and creative "healing thoughts" e-card, which she drew herself, of her Murray and Bogart sending good wishes to Noah. Her thoughtfulness is SO appreciated, and we have placed the card within the original post so all can see it.

Noah and I think you all are wonderful ....

Anonymous said...

Clara, loved the card from Murray and Bogart to Noah. It`s a shame Noah cannot read, but knowing the way dogs can sense things, I`m sure he is aware of all our "good" thoughts of wishing him a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I can promise you that the energy in Jenn/Yahn's home will be more that enough to bring Noah back to balance in his life. I have a feeling that the cat's will nurse him back to health. Cats are funny that way.
Cat's Meow...we gotta talk.