Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Well, Durn ... I'm Thankful ...

Taken from our small boat on Loch Lein, Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland

… said my Papa, W.C. Harp, when asked if he wanted to say grace before the last Thanksgiving meal I would ever share with him and my grandmother. That was the entirety of the thanks he offered, before beginning to eat. We didn’t generally say grace before meals, and I’m sure my grandmother’s somewhat anomalous, pro forma request caught him a bit off guard. Nevertheless, it is the “grace” I remember … simple, meaningful, and in essence, profound in the depth and breadth of meaning conveyed in those two words … a sweet coda to years of family Thanksgivings in my grandparents’ house.

Most of us are thankful, I hope, not only at Thanksgiving but all through the days and years, for some “universals“ … family, friends, our homes, health, the fact that life doesn’t “end” at high school (at least for most of us … ). But, as we approach another Thanksgiving and other end of year holidays, I want to share with you some "small moments" for which I am thankful, “grace notes” added as embellishment to the magnum opus of my life, across the trajectory of time. It may not surprise those who know me, or have read the blog, that many of my “grace notes” involve travel. I am hopeful that some of you will share your own small moments, of whatever type, those moments only incidental to the whole of your lives, yet cherished and returned to in memory, time after time, for a smile, or a laugh, a wry grin, or simply a fond reflection.

I am thankful that I very carefully and purposefully (and initially, with much dropped food) taught myself when I was nine years old to eat with chopsticks, because somehow I just knew in my soul that someday I would get to see Japan and China, and I didn’t want to be embarrassed by my inability (or lack of table manners) to use chopsticks when I got there. I have been complimented in those countries on how well I use them, so the effort was not wasted.

As much as I always knew that someday I would see Asian countries which have fascinated me from childhood (and still do), never in my wildest imaginings could I have conjured that one "enchanted" evening I would be sitting in the lounge of the Great Wall Sheraton in Beijing, China, sipping Irish coffee and listening to a Chinese string quartet play, lentissimo (very slowly), a familiar melody, which after careful listening, turned out to be “Turkey in the Straw.” Serendipity.

I was so thankful to spot a Shakey’s Pizza parlor (yes, Shakey’s, with all its quotidian drabness) on the Ginza in Tokyo, after the girls had become mutinous over eating nothing but Japanese food for the days we had been there. Of course, the pizzas on the buffet were topped with baby corn, shitake mushrooms, seaweed, octopus and other Japanese staples … but we did find one that had pepperoni, so the incipient crisis was averted.

I am thankful that when Yahn and I were in Venice, we arranged for a private gondola, with champagne included, to take us on the Grand Canal, under the Rialto Bridge, and then into smaller, more mysterious and romantic canals, as the sun was setting, and the songs of the gondoliers drifted on the air. Bellissimo! We still laugh about the couple that passed in their gondola, going the other way, and watching the woman crane her neck to look at us, and then hearing in shrill, nasal tones as the gondolas parted: “Milton, they have champagne, Mill-ton!” I suspect that Milton’s memory of his sunset gondola ride past that point is not nearly so wonderful as ours.

I am thankful that Yahn didn’t take the deal when he was offered five camels and multiple goats for me by a man who approached us as we walked through Khan el-Khalili bazaar in Cairo. Yahn said it was obvious that I was at least a seven-camel woman!!!

I am thankful that I was able to fulfill a dream (or at least a desire) to go whitewater rafting, on the Ayung River in Bali, for my 58th birthday. I was less thankful about having to walk 600 steps down to get to the raft, and then 600 steps back UP, to get back to Yahn. The hotel very kindly sent a massage therapist (gratis) to our room that evening … and yes, the experience was worth it!!!

I am thankful that we made our last trip to Paris over New Year, when the lights are at their loveliest and most profuse, and the excitement of that wonderful city is most electrifying. And it was pure loveliness, late that night, as we sipped champagne in our room and watched it begin to snow … huge, fat flakes of snow, falling in the streets of Paris, with the subdued lights on the side street glimmering a pale, soft yellow when we ran onto the balcony to see the wonder. Quelle romantique!!!!

I am thankful for the Christmas Eve we spent on the night train from Cairo to Luxor, much of it in the club car, with a large group of German and French tourists, with American oldies playing on tape, and the bartenders coming out to serve the ordered drinks somehow balanced on their heads on a wildly shaking and swerving train, pulling many of the travelers (including me) out of our chairs to engage in impromptu belly dancing, with those drinks balanced perfectly on their heads the whole time. I was not as thrilled with the dinner we were served in our sleeper, and think I may now know what happens to old camels when they are too decrepit to carry tourists for the obligatory photos at many sites.

I am thankful that I got to see the Pyramids at Giza, and Karnak Temple in Luxor, not only by daylight, but bathed in the silver light of a full, or nearly full, moon.

I am thankful that I got to see the Anne Frank House (and more specifically, the secret annex), where Anne and her family hid from the Nazis in Amsterdam before they were betrayed. I could see through the small window the chestnut tree that Anne saw as she wrote in her diary and dreamed of a world without war and hatred, before she died at Bergen-Belsen such an achingly short time before the camp was liberated. There was such a feeling of presence in that room, and I believe that it is the essence of Anne’s indomitable spirit which still pervades that place.

I am thankful that I once skied in Aspen, and Vail and other places, before my knees totally checked out, and I remember apres-ski in the lodges, with hot-buttered rum, and Irish coffee, and mulled wine, and huge fireplaces and music and laughter.

I am thankful that Franklin Martin magically appeared at Giuseppe’s in Colorado Springs at just the perfect time. (See “Close Encounters of the Bobcat Kind” further back on this blog.)

I am thankful to have seen the Acropolis in Athens by moonlight, and to have watched the sunset from our cruise ship in the caldera of the volcano at the beautiful Greek island of Santorini, and to have marveled at the "clothing optional" beaches on Mykonos and at Lindos (on Rhodes), and to have seen the ancient and colorful Minoan ruins on Crete.

I am thankful to have walked the ruins of Ephesus, and to have seen the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, and to have crossed from one continent to another (Europe/Asia) and back over the Bosporus.

I was sooo thankful in Ireland that Clarence Darter had taken so much time and patience with me, to teach the proper use of a clutch in a standard shift automobile. I had to figure out driving on the “wrong” side of the road, and stick-shifting with my left hand on my own. Lynn (Purcell Durham) and Yahn left the driving to me (the former hell-driver of the Childress Park lake), but I am sure they were uttering various prayers and incantations sotto voce the entire time.

I am thankful that Lynn went with us on that trip, where we ultimately “found” the Purcell castle in County Tipperary after our stays in Tralee, and Cashel, and “our” little cottage overlooking Bantry Bay in Glengarriff. The rental car was a challenge to drive, but it certainly facilitated our roaming all over the southwest of Ireland, dodging trucks and buses and other cars coming at us at breakneck speeds on the narrow Irish roads. We only blew three tires (two at once) as we desperately sought to hug the left side and had some close encounters of the large roadside rock kind. Fortunately we were smart (or prescient) enough to take full coverage on the car, so we didn’t have to pay for the tires, although I am sure Dan Dooley Car Rental began to rethink its package on “full coverage”.

I am thankful that when I was standing on the stage at Cirque du Soleil's Zumanity here in Las Vegas, with the MC Joey Arias and “Antonio the Gigolo”, and Antonio blurted out, “Why, Jen-ni-fer! You’re not wearing a bra!”, I had the presence of mind (and the lack of inhibition?) to answer into the microphone, “I burned it in the ‘60s!”, and brought down the house of about 1500 people. There were some other ad-libs I was proud of, but this is a family blog ….

There are more tales to share, of other adventures in other (and some of the same) places, but I sense your eyes beginning to glaze, if you have not already given up this rambling reminiscence. But I must also express thanks to our special teacher at CHS (you and we know who you are!), who helped me (and others of us) believe that wishes and dreams can and do come true, if we want them enough, and are willing to work to attain them.

Even though I usually enjoy preparing Thanksgiving dinner, whether or not our children and grandchildren are with us, I have rebelled this year, with dear Yahn’s acquiescence, and plan to celebrate the day by chowing down with him (just the two of us!) on the signature dishes at Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab in the Forum Shops at Caesars. I wish you all a glorious and meaningful Thanksgiving.

My Photo )O(

8 comments:

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Since reading Jennifer's "thankful" post, Jim and I have talked about what we are most thankful for and we are pretty much in agreement. There is no question that we are most thankful for our family, our church, our health, our friends, and each other.

The pleasure that we get from interaction with our grandsons is without a doubt the most precious gift that we have received and we remain thankful for them everyday. Recently our 12 year old grandson had to do a bio poster in order to tell his class about himself. One task was to identify the 3 most important things to himself and in order of importance they were sports, God, and family. This has been a source of humor for all of us and we are truly thankful that we as the family made it into the top three! A couple of years ago at Thanksgiving we had every one at dinner share the two things that they were most thankful for that year. Our 5 year old grandson was eager to share when it was his turn. He had listened closely to the others and when we came to him, without hesitation, he said, "I am thankful for my turtles" (he has 3) and then after a pause he finally added "and for my mom and my dad". He was so sincere about his turtles and there was no doubt where his "thankfullness" lay.

For Jim and me, there are other less obvious and rarely stated items that we are thankful for.

First of all, I am really thankful that Jennifer allows me to live vicariously through her wonderful travel tales. As I said before, I can't wait until she and her fellow travelers share their stories of Paris next year.

Jim is very thankful that he gets to go to the golf course every day that he wants to! (gets him out of the house part of the day)

I am very thankful that Jim gets to go the course golf every day that he wants to! (gets him out of the house part of the day!)

We are both very thankful that we don't have to "wear watches" anymore if we don't want to.

I am very thankful that Jim has after all these years learned to use a vaccuum cleaner, and he is very thankful that I have started cooking more meals at home. I wonder if he is as thankful that I do his laundry??

I am very thankful that we live in an age of such marvelous technological advances. I love my computer, my IPOD shuffle, my cell phone, and I really love my DVR!

We are both thankful that we have each other to serve as work out partners when we go to the gym.

And finally, did I mention that Jim is really really thankful that he gets to go to the golf course every day??

Wishing each of you a very happy day full of giving thanks and wonderful food shared with friends and family!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Bless the beasts (especially dogs, cats and turtles) and children ... and, borrowing a line from Dickens, all of us, each and every one.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have read Jennifer's post. Glazing eyes from reading? Not sure about that. I feel like I have been around the world and back again only to land up in Vegas with Joey and that incredibly beautiful performance of Cirque du Soleil in "Zumanity".

However, your second to last paragraph caught me. A teacher at CHS who taught us to BELIEVE in our dreams...? I really do not want to embarrass anyone here, but I went from that class to another where I was told that it was ok to dream, but to not expect too much in return. I remember something like this, "Shoot for the moon, but expect to fall into the stars." Then I would go back to class #1 and would be told the same thing again...BELIEVE!! IN YOUR DREAMS. I must tell you that I took this to heart. I decided to believe in myself and my dreams.
I will say for the world to hear. I have lived my dreams. I am good with that. I love my life because I have lived my dreams.
ok...again...thanks for listening.
If this post is about being thankful, I am thankful for my beautiful, wonderful family and totally incredible friends. Above all, I am thankful for the ability to DREAM and to be blessed with this life that is mine.

Anonymous said...

ps...I guess I am most thankful for the "noise" that lives within my four walls. The noise of wanna be rock stars, poet laureates, babies crying, reaching for tomorrow....kindness, words of love and promise...praise and questions on living a better life...and the occasional dispute that keeps everything in balance. Yes, it is a good life.

Jennifer Johnston said...

I am thankful to have made contact this week with two more of our classmates ... Don Seal and John Eeds, our Senior Favorite boy and Most Intellectual, as well!

Don lives in the Dallas area and owns a wig shop, catering primarily to those who have lost their hair because of chemotherapy, alopecia, or other medical reasons. He also carries prostheses for those who have undergone mastectomy. Don told me that he and his wife are expecting their next grandchild during the coming months, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find out how many he has, as our conversation was truncated due to unforeseen conditions on both ends of the line. After he checks out the blogs, perhaps we will hear more from him.

John lives with his wife, Sheila, in Baton Rouge. After we graduated, he served in the Air Force, then spent almost 30 years with Exxon before retiring seven years ago. As with Don, I sent John the blog links, and he expressed interest in both the blog and the reunion. John said he had just fallen out of touch with former classmates, as so many of us did for a number of years, and he looks forward to catching up. I think he may also be inclined to leave a more comprehensive update on his life, and we will look forward to his joining us here. Further, he said he remembers Darryl Morris very well, and that he will look forward to reading what Darryl has written for us.

As always, I have street and e-mail addresses for both Don and John, and they will be added to the list to receive information on the Las Vegas Reunion.
)O(

Jennifer Johnston said...

And another one bites the dust ... figuratively speaking, of course. I just spoke with Jim Lassen (and his brother David, who was a few years behind us at CHS), both of whom live in Longview. Jim indicated to me that he is going to check out the blog today, and told me that he would leave an update for us. I also assured David that we would love to hear from him, too ... so perhaps it will be a Lassen double-header. BTW, the last time I saw Jim was in the early '70s, at a cool little hole-in-the-wall pub in Dallas, The Quiet Man, where the clientele ranged from SMU professors to darts and rugby players to "hippies" (not necessarily mutually exclusive categories). Yahn and I were on the outdoor patio when Jim exited the interior. I saw his eyes and knew immediately who it was. Okay, guys ... your turn ....

Mike, Jim remembers you very well, as does David. Jim says you were ALWAYS a funny guy (!), and he's looking forward to reading your stories.

Shee-Ra, I know you were in your element surrounded by your family on Thanksgiving. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and dreams and wisdom.

Harold, so glad that you have added your "voice" to the reunion blog, and hope we may see you here on the "main" blog as well.

Incidentally, in the spirit of giving thanks for "small" things ... I was very thankful for the wonderful stone crab Thanksgiving dinner Yahn and I enjoyed at Joe's yesterday ....
)O(

Jennifer Johnston said...

Me again ... but with more news. Today a returned call (from a message I left yesterday) put me in contact with Cliff Clements, who lives in Baytown (outside Houston) with his wife Jane, having returned there from a similar six-year stint in Alabama. Cliff is the Editor and Publisher of "The Baytown Sun" ... so I have told him he has NO excuse for not writing an update for us, once he has checked out the blog(s). Cliff was also glad to hear about some of the people Nicki and I have gotten in touch with recently, and says he is looking forward to hearing more about the Las Vegas Reunion.

Okay, Jim L, Jim C, Reed, John, Don, Ron, Max, Preston and others ... now including Cliff. We DO want to hear from you, and hope you will join us soon. You promised ... well, some of you did .... In the meantime, I'll be glad to hear from ANYONE else ... this post and comment section is really getting one-sided ... except of course for the great comments by dear Shee-Ra and Nicki ....
)O(

Jennifer Johnston said...

Another reason for thanks .... I talked this afternoon with Lynn Purcell Durham, who is still recovering from her last stroke, the details of which were related in the previous post under her name (September 2007). Although she still has more recovery and rehabilitation ahead of her, Lynn has improved enough to at last move from Mississippi's Gulf Coast (Hurricane Katrina Central) to Tulsa, where her older son Jeff lives. She has an apartment there and is getting settled, incrementally. We have to keep reminding her that even such meticulous housekeeper does NOT have to unpack ALL of her boxes and put away ALL of her belongings at once.

Lynn says she is really hoping to be well enough to attend the Las Vegas Reunion next year, and I know that many of us are wishing her a speedy and (continued) successful recovery.

I have Lynn's new street address, telephone number and e-mail address and will be happy to pass them along to anyone who wants them.
)O(