Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bobcat Treasure: Gold ... King "Tut" and the "Lost Buddha" ....

Tutakhamun's Gold MaskGold ... lustrous, valuable, gorgeous gold! The inspiration for numerous quests and fables, the dream of Coronado in his epic search for the mythic Seven Cities of Gold. The adornment and currency of choice for millions from prehistoric times to the Sumerians of lower Mesopotamia (modern Iraq), to the Egyptians and beyond to our own time, always highly prized and frequently hoarded, used for sustenance, for shelter, for good and for evil. In India, the Middle East and Southeast Asia, it is desirable not only for its decorative value, but as a hedge against inflation and hard times. Women in many of these countries wear multiple golden bangles, rings and necklaces, representing not only their dowry, but their ultimate financial security. As James Blakely said at the time of the California Gold Rush: "Gold is forever. It is beautiful, useful, and never wears out. Small wonder that gold has been prized over all else, in all ages, as a store of value that will survive the travails of life and the ravages of time."

Not only is gold the most desired of metals, it is also malleable, amenable to being combined with other elements to change its intrinsic makeup, and resistant to corrosion. It is soft and shiny and dense, but can be beaten into sheets so thin they are translucent, as it may have been on the putative Golden Calf which Moses allegedly found on his return to his people from Mt. Sinai. Indeed, gold is a marvelous symbol for the vicissitudes of long-lasting friendship, which must mutate, and adapt and grow, even as we must grow in our lives in order to have lives worth living. I cannot think of anything worse than a life of stasis, "in which all forces are equal and opposing, therefore they cancel out each other."

In 1987, on our first trip to Egypt, we rounded a corner in the old Cairo Museum and came literally face to face with the gold funerary mask of Tutankhamun, inlaid with lapis lazuli and colored glass, and the sight was absolutely breathtaking. I know Yahn and I stood there for several minutes, taking in the beauty of the mask ... probably with our mouths hanging open like the hicks from the sticks we immediately imagined ourselves, confronted with thousands of years of Egyptian civilization and artistry.

In Thailand, we marveled at the Golden Buddha at Wat Traimit, and at the story behind it. It was cast during the Sukkothai period (1440s to 1550s). However, during one of their intermittent wars with the Khmer of Burma (now Myanmar, and much in the news), the Thai people became afraid that the Buddha would be stolen by their enemies, and so encased it completely in concrete to hide it ... and then somehow, lost it. How anyone can just "lose" or forget about a five and half ton, solid gold Buddha strains the imagination, but perhaps it is related to what is termed "the fog of war". Nevertheless, it was several centuries before the Buddha was accidentally rediscovered, when it was dropped while being moved, and the concrete cracked open to reveal the gold inside, none the worse for its sequestration.

WAT TRAIMIT..THE GOLDEN BUDDHA. - Bangkok

So it seems fitting to recall golden friends and friendships of our sometimes golden youth. Perhaps some of your friendships have survived the changes of time intact, and perhaps some are merely awaiting rediscovery. In any event, from the 1963 Senior Edition of The Corral, I give you gold ....

1963 Seniors Will Be Remembered By ...

Shirley Neel: Girl's Volleyball, dancing ability. Our Shirl lives in Quanah (we won't hold that against her!) with her husband, George, and could probably swap golf stories with Jim W. as she took to the game with a vengeance after she left Childress. Yahn and I were delighted to see her, and Raenell and Jimmy, and Linda Kay and JoAnn, in April at our granddaughter Heather's wedding.

Harold Simmons: Football player, black flattop. Harold is living in Dumas with his wife Donna. They have two sons, and three grandsons. We are told that Harold reads and enjoys the blog, but has not yet commented, not unlike others (we know who some of you are). We are hopeful that Harold will leave a comment to say "Hi" and to update all of us with additional information.

Linda Kay Bridges: Bobcat twirler. Friend from childhood and definitely BFF. Happily married to Wayne, retired, living in the Dallas area, one son and three gorgeous granddaughters she is seriously endeavoring to spoil (grandparents' prerogative). Off to Paris in March with moi, JoAnn and Raenell. We are likewise awaiting LK's first written foray into blogland ... we know you're there!!!!

Jimmy Wilcoxson: Golf team (duh!), All-State basketball player, State golf medalist. Married to blogmeister Nicki, former coach, living in Amarillo, recently inducted into the Panhandle Sports Hall of Fame. Hey, Jim: Maybe you and Shirl and Reed and Mike (or maybe Coach Joe Warren if one of them demurs) can get a foursome going. I see Sheila has extended an invitation to a course in Wimberley ....

Bettye Shahan: Best dressed, laugh. Last personally spotted at the All-School Reunion in Childress in 2002, lookin' great, and believed to be living in the Abilene area. I know we would all appreciate a more thorough update, Bettye ... or Clara ... or Nicki ....

J.R. Bell: Won second high individual in grass contest, tall. Living in Amarillo and recently sighted by Jim and Nicki. Nicki, we would appreciate your additional information on J.R., unless he can be persuaded to join us himself.

Kay Eatherly: Valedictorian and sophomore class President. Married to Gayle Whitten, believed to be living in Lubbock, teaching or retired from same. Just received from Kay and Gayle
I retired from teaching 4 years ago, and Gayle still has his painting business. He quit teaching after 12 years so he could own his own business and I could be home with our children. So for 20 years I did not teach but was mom to Melissa (nearly 38) and Mark (36). Melissa and her husband live in Lubbock, and they have 3 precious children: Lindsay (7), Aaron (5) and Colby (3months.) Mark lives in Houston and has Kamber (6) and Asher (4). When all the "grands" are together, they are like "fireants." What a blessing!

Gayle and I have an intense desire to serve our Lord Jesus in any way He leads. We have been on a couple of misson trips to the Czech Republic, and we may begin a ministry of "mom and dad" to missionaries. We are not sure right now. We have been blessed to travel a lot, and we love people, so we are waiting.

Wayne Havens: Football player, President of Student Council.
(photo from tsta.org) Superintendent of Lubbock Independent School District. We hope that Wayne is reading, and that he will see fit to publish a comment.

Linda Key: Engaged, speech club. Linda married her Walter, and they traveled many places while he was in the Army. Last known to be living in Childress again, and we'd love to hear her stories.

Quentin Henderson: Lone Star degree in FFA, Salutatorian. Also President of our Senior Class. Quentin is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) with his own veterinary clinic, living with his wife Cheri in Blountstown, Florida. Perhaps Quentin may soon join us on the blog? Update from Joe Don Hopkins on Quentin, via e-mail:
Really enjoyed my talk [on Friday, October 26] with Dr. Henderson. He has been teaching in high school since 1988 and has had his Vet practice 31 years. He has 4 daughters with dates of birth ranging from 1971 to 1985, along with 5 or 6 grandkids. We talked over an hour. I need someone to confirm that he was at one of our first 2 reunions (1973 or 1978) since I do not remember him being there. Plus I have told many people that I have been trying to find him since 1963! Now, can someone confirm which reunion Quentin attended?

Nicki and I have some pretty extensive grapevines; nevertheless, there are many of our former classmates of whom we know nothing since we were in school together. We would definitely appreciate your contacting us (or either of us) if you have information to share, or if you are one of those "among the missing".

Now, off tomorrow on my delayed trip to Texas ... leaving the adult (Nicki) in charge, and looking forward to having brunch with Pat and Nicki and Jim on Wednesday. There may even be pictures ....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of GOLD...I was just thinking about Darryl Morris again. I always felt my relationship with him was a one on one. That is one of his gifts as a teacher. I am sure everyone of his students felt the same way. I trusted his judgement and because of that I was able to reach out for higher ideas, loftier goals, so to speak. So much of who I am and what I have become is due to his gentle teaching abilities. I never felt like I was being preached to or at....like in so many other classes. I do remember that one of his pet peeves was the over use of the comma. Funny, because everytime I use a comma, I think..."What would Mr. Morris say about that?

Anyway, back to the point...I think we were asked to write a paper on Ralph Waldo Emerson or Henry David Thoreau. Of course, my research led me to the discovery of transcendentalism and then on to Emmanual Kant. By the time I finished the paper, I was this enthusiastic new person with all of this incredible new knowledge, not just about the people, but about the idealisms of transdentalism. Due to my constant Catholic insecurities, I was very concerned that he would not accept the paper . He did accept it, gave me an A and complimented my work. I felt like a King...not a Queen, but a King. I was so proud. Of course that only made me thirst for more knowledge of the same. Later, due to that incident, I discover Edgar Cayce. That is when life started to make sense.

oh well...enough. I owe Darryl Morris a lot and will always be thankful that he was an intregal part of my life. After having him as a teacher, everything else is rather bland. I have always felt that he was so much more than "just a teacher".

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Shelia, what a great comment. I hope Darryl Morris reads it!

I can't think of anything to add about Jim Wilcoxson that hasn't already been written in earlier posts so instead I have added my favorite picture because in this case a picture does say more than a thousand words.

One correction,however, Jim is in the Panhandle Sports Hall of Fame rather than the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Oooops! Thanks for the correction, Nicki ... I have made the appropriate correction to the original post. I really should have looked at your earlier story to make sure I had the correct name for the organization. Sloppy ... I plead Saturday errands ....

Sheila's comment is wonderful and I join you in hoping Mr. Morris stops by again. I would like to think that he knows just how many of us were inspired by him. He was indeed "golden" ....

Anonymous said...

Nicki, as I look at the picture of Jim and his grandsons, I think...why are you guys in Amarillo? Why are you not down here with me? You look like you belong here on the golf course in the Hills of Lakeway.

Wayne is so handsome and looks so happy. I love that.

Jennifer Johnston said...

Birthday cake for Raenell, granddaughter Heather, and me (and friends): $20

Lunch at K-Bob's in Childress with Raenell, Dana Purcell Morris, daughter Shannon, granddaughter Heather and Miss Bayleigh Ann Bruce (with a side of Marilyn Baker Havens): $60

Three-part harmony for four generations, wailin' with Shannon and Heather at the tops of our lungs to Willie Nelson and the Eagles on the way back to Clarendon: Priceless ....

Amarillo by (tomorrow) morning ... and brunch with Pat, Nicki and Jim .... Life is good!

Jennifer Johnston said...

I would be remiss to not mention my grandson Coby, with whom I also enjoyed visiting during my trip to the Panhandle. Coby plays football in Clarendon, and we found our "bonding" moment in a discussion in the current TV show "Friday Night Lights", based on the book by H.G. Bissinger (a GREAT read!). It's really a good show (albeit not widely watched), and I got Coby's attention when I was able to tell him that Kyle Chandler, the star of the show, is the brother of an attorney I worked with for a long time in Houston. (Kyle previously starred in the TV series "Home Front" and "Early Edition" and has been in several movies.) Whenever he was in town, Kyle would drop by the office to see brother Brian, and it was always a bit disconcerting ... but a pleasant surprise ... to be walking through the halls and come face to face with Kyle Chandler! Kyle was also very nice, I might add ... unfortunately I can't say the same for Brian.

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Jennifer,

You definitely caught my attention when you mentioned Kyle Chandler. I always enjoy whatever he is appearing in. Great eyes! But I digress as you would say, Jim and I will keep our eyes out to see how the Clarendon team is doing and look for mention of Coby. Grandkids are the best!