Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

JOHN (JOHNNY) R. MCCONNELL

UPDATE: October 4, 2007 I spoke this morning with Jackie McConnell, John's widow, and have some additional information for all of you who have expressed sorrow at John's passing and sympathy and concern for his family. Jackie was wonderfully warm and gracious to speak with me at such a difficult time for her and the family, and I thank her so much for her time.

Jackie and I had a lovely conversation, given the circumstances, and she spoke so eloquently of John's battle with cancer, of how proud John was of their two sons, Jason and Kevin and their families, and how much he doted on his grandchildren Peyton and Willem.

For those who have inquired, John's mother, Gladys, known to many of us, is still alive and in a nursing home, but Jackie says that she must use a wheelchair and that her mental faculties are not what they once were.

I mentioned this blog to Jackie, and gave her the web address. She said that she will pass it along to their sons, who she believes will be interested to see what we have written about John. I told her that we would welcome any comment they (or she) might wish to make, if any, in memory of John.

John's obituary ran in today's Houston Chronicle, and I am including it here, along with a more recent picture than those which have been added by Nicki (no disrespect to Nicki, of course). Also, Jackie informed me that she has given the pertinent information to The Childress Index, which will also run an obit. The obit contains more information about John, some of which we already knew, like his love of golf, plus information about services.

John Robert McConnell, of Spring, Texas was born on the 31st of December 1944 in San Francisco, California, passed away on the 1st of October 2007. John is a former resident of Childress, Texas where he spent his earlier years in life. John was at his best while on the golf course where he was an avid golfer; John also enjoyed hunting and fishing, he was one that truly appreciated his family and friends. John was an employee with Reliance Steel and Aluminum for seven years and in the business for over 35 years. John is survived by his loving and caring wife of 40 years, Jackie, his sons Jason McConnell and wife Lisa, Kevin McConnell and wife Nicole, and two wonderful grandchildren, Peyton and Willem. John's family would like you to join them at his memorial service celebrating his life, Friday the 5th of October 2007 at Forest Park The Woodlands Chapel at one o'clock in the afternoon with Pastor Don Kidd officiating.

At the end of our conversation, I told Jackie that many of our classmates were thinking of John, and our shared history, and of her and the family, and that I was certain they would all be in our thoughts today, tomorrow and in days to come. I urge those of you who haven't left a comment or an anecdote to please do so, as I am sure it will be appreciated by John's family.

After my conversation with Jackie, I called Forest Park The Woodlands Funeral Home regarding whether they had a means for us to leave online condolences. I was advised that by tomorrow we will be able to access a memorial website at mem.com, enter John's name, and at the obit site there will be a link so that we may write a message for the family.

Jim left a "Comment" on the blog yesterday that he regretted not getting in touch with Johnny in later years, and I have had others express the same to me in e-mails. Perhaps we should all take this as a reminder not to put off getting in touch with old friends, or family, or anyone who means something to us, because one day it may be too late.

In sadness,
Jennifer

Posted October 2, 2007

Word came this evening via phone call from Pat Davenport Shapiro, who just heard through a friend of hers, that Johnny McConnell died last night in hospice care at his home in Spring, Texas (a suburb of Houston). As some of you will know, Johnny had battled cancer for the past several years. I last talked with him while Yahn and I were still living in Houston, probably about five or six years ago, and he was undergoing treatment at the time but, if I recall correctly, seemed to be in a bit of a remission. It was obvious the disease had taken a toll, but he was determined to do all he could to overcome it. Pat said that it's her understanding that he didn't actually die of the cancer, but that his liver finally gave out, possibly due to all his cancer treatments.

I know that many of us have many good memories of Johnny, inextricably intertwined with our memories of growing up in Childress. Johnny was actually the first boy outside my family who ever kissed me, chastely on the cheek, as a result of playing "Spin the Bottle" at a wiener roast for the gang held at his house when we were in fifth grade. And of course I remember him at the Country Club, not only playing golf with Jim and Reed, but at the Country Club dances and hay rides that they had for us young'uns.

I have Johnny's home address and telephone number if anyone wants to send a card or place a call to his widow, Jacki. Just let me know by e-mail (yahnjenn@cox.net) and I will provide the information. I am also checking the Houston Chronicle obit page (nothing today, but possibly tomorrow) to see if there is a notice there. At this juncture, I don't know anything about services, and neither did Pat. If I learn more, I will update this notice.

I am hopeful that some of you will choose to comment, or tell a story, about Johnny here on the blog.

So sorry to bring bad news, but I thought the class would want to know.

My Photo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, thanks for keeping us up to date on this. Does anyone have an idea of how many of our classmates have passed away?
Sheila

Jennifer Johnston said...

You're welcome, Sheila ... although as I said, I am so sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

I was recently talking with Nicki about a special post we intend to do on those classmates who are no longer with us. We were able to name Julia Ann Stamps, Billy Sarrels, Paula Leach Schubarth, Frances Martin Wadley and James Roy Austin. Sadly, there is now another name to add.

If anyone knows of someone besides these classmates who has died, we would appreciate the information so we can include it with the coming post.

Anonymous said...

Well durn…..!!!

Our friends within our memories are not supposed to ever die…..

This makes me so sad….

I lived next door to Johnny in the 2nd grade….so we became “best friends”………with me, that is a status that never stops……

I will miss him…

Sprad

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

I am so sorry to hear about Johnny. I knew that he had been ill over the years with cancer, but I had optimistcally chosen to believe that he was doing better. Johnny was one of the first people that I met when we moved to Childress. Like Jim, he spent a lot of time at the bowling center and over the years they were always together at the golf course. Unfortunately we had lost touch with Johnny and Jackie after Tech so we never got to know about his life as an "adult" family man. I am sad about that. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Nicki

Anonymous said...

I was very sad to hear about Johnny McConnell's death. Johnny and I played all the Kid's Inc. sports together as grade schoolers and junior high basketball and football, also.

When we began playing golf together we bacame nearly inseparable. We traveled in his 60's blue Ford to at least 50 golf tournaments. We enjoyed many hours on the golf course.

We both went to Tech and continued to play golf and hang out together. When Johnny went to work for McCormick Steel and went to Houston and Nicki and I moved to Amarillo, sadly we gradually grew apart.

I will always have great memories of Johnny. He was a close friend and a neat person. I think we all need to do a better job of staying in touch with former friends and classmates. I regret very much not having seen or talked to Johnny recently.

Anonymous said...

It must have been 7th grade-----


Johnny was having a party at his house. He picked me up on his Cushman scooter. My mother knew I was going to the party, but didn't know the mode of transport, which I just failed to mention, knowing the word would be NO. I ran out the door when I heard him a block away. I can see him now on his Cushman with a huge smile. I don't recall ever seeing him without a smile.

At Tech he came to my rescue a couple of times when I was pledging a sorority and had to have a mandatory date. He graciously obliged and endured the events without complaint. We had a great time in a most platonic way.

During Christmas break, 1965, Johnny insisted that Don Meek ask me to double date with him for New Year's Eve. We both accepted the idea-----neither of us had other plans and it sounded better that sitting at home. And as it is said, "The rest is history."

The next thing we knew, Johnny was IN LOVE----the marrying kind! He was crazy about Jackie. The last time we saw him was in Houston when his sons, Kevin & Jason were toddlers.

Time & distance separated us, as it often does. Raising families, pursuing careers, caring for aging family members makes us inaccessible. Just 3 weeks ago we were discussing Johnny and agreed we needed to get in touch with him. We, too, regret not having made the contact.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad.....(Jim Spradley)....tell the story in the blog of how Doc McConnell wound up in Childresss.
-Mike-