Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Transitions: The Autumn of Our Lives

Like Jennifer, I find that fall is my favorite season of the year. Actually, it is more than my favorite season. It is the time of year that I find myself full of renewed energy--much more so than spring which is traditionally the season of new beginnings. It is not unusual for me to find myself searching for the signs of fall in the other seasons. It only takes a crisp cool day in the spring or summer for me to drag Jim outside and demand that he smell autumn in the air and like a child I want to ask,"are we there yet?" I love the changing of the leaves from green to orange or red or yellow and brown. I love the cooler days and I can't wait to drag out my sweaters and jeans as they are my favorite clothes. I even look forward to football so I can wrap myself in a blanket and read a good book while Jim sits and watches tv and answers my occasional questions about who has the ball and what is the score. As I have already said, I love decorating for fall and thinking about Halloween. All of these delights serve to remind me that for a while we have a respite from hot summer days and the hustle and bustle of Christmas yet to come followed by cold icy days and then blustery spring and turbulent weather. Like Jennifer, October is my birthday month which serves as a symbol of other transitions to me.

I have heard over the years that aging is transitioning symbolically from one season to another. Recently, I asked Jim (remember that in an earlier post, I identified Jim as my pondering partner) if we are there yet?--in the autumn of our lives. Of course, he pondered this question for a second or two and then asked, "would that be bad?" and that is truly a question to ponder. There are so many good things about this time in our lives. We have retired, so we have so much more time for doing what we really want to do. We no longer have those old work related stressors. We have grandchildren to enjoy and love. Seeing our children as adults and on their own is comforting. I feel much more relaxed and free when I allow myself to and I guess that is a key to being in the autumn of one's life--allowing one's self to appreciate the place and time in which we find ourselves and accepting that the autumn of our lives really isn't such a bad place at all.

As the Class of 1963, we have transitioned from high school to retirement with all the "seasons" in between. There is no way I can know how the coming of autumn is affecting each of you, but it is my sincere hope that as I have stated before that all your leaves fall gently around you, that you gather the harvest of your life and count your blessings and that you wrap yourself in happiness and the warmth of autumn fires.

Nicki

4 comments:

Jennifer Johnston said...

Nicki, your post painted such a lovely picture, and left me with such a warm glow, that I actually dreamed last night of one of those comforting, sustaining autumn fires, and awoke this morning determined to make one today ... until I walked out into Las Vegas' 80+ temperature and realized this would have to be another dream deferred. Please don't taking this as "kvetching" (complaining) ... I have been so fortunate in so many aspects of my life ... and particularly with regard to the dear friends I have known and "kept" through the years. And I too find that fall is the time when I find myself most reflective and grateful for all that has come to me.

Among our travels, one of the places we have enjoyed the most is Thailand. I've been fascinated by Thailand at least since I saw "The King and I" back in the mid-50s (Yul Brynner and that SEXY bald head!), and my fascination only grew with time. Thai people are among the kindest and gentlest in the world, Thai culture is rich with history, the "wats" (temples) are breathtakingly dramatic and gorgeous, and I felt at complete peace and in harmony with creation while we were there.

In the fall (specifically at the full moon of the 12th Thai lunar month, usually in November of the Western calendar), the festival of Loi Krathong is celebrated throughout Thailand. During the full-moon night, Thai people (and visitors) place upon the nearest river small rafts made of banana tree trunks and adorned with flowers, candles, incense and other offerings to honor Lord Buddha.

In addition to honoring Buddha and celebrating life, the act of releasing the raft to be carried away on the river symbolizes the letting go of grudges and sorrows and feelings of ill will and bad personality traits, so that one may receive a "new" start on life. Altogether, it is a blissful and deeply personal contemplation of one's life, and one's vow to be more aware and more careful of others during our passage through the time we are given.

I think you would enjoy Loi Krathong very much.

Your mention of Jim watching football on TV reminded me of when we lived in Dallas (1968-1980), during which time we were fortunate enough to meet and become friends with several players on the Dallas Cowboys football team. We used to go and party with them at the latest Dallas hot spots after all their games, and we were always offered good stadium tickets, which we usually turned down so we could enjoy the game with other friends.

One of our particular friends on the team was Mel Renfro, who frequently came to visit us. Every time Mel was there, we had to warn the girls not to tell their playmates who was in the house, or Mel would have had children hanging off him ... although, lest I give the wrong impression, Mel was always very gracious when he was spotted. It was another time of our (young) life which I'll always treasure.

All the Cowboys who were playing then are long-retired ... but I must say, I still get a bit of a thrill when the 'boys win.

Anonymous said...

Nicki, Our hearts beat to the same song. There is nothing like the autumn of the year. However, I do not feel that I am "there yet" and neither are you. Don't get comfortable!
My mind and body still say NO...you can't stop and relax yet. I am thinking that I may not reach that point until after 80...?
There is just too much to do and too much to live. Heck...I have only been to Vegas thrice LOL!
Would you believe that just this weekend I went to a gallery show of Peter Max's art AND met the master himself! I have been dreaming of that for, not years, but decades. Never actually dreamed it could ever happen. But suddenly, there he was...and so was I and we were on the same planet here in Austin TX! OMG!!

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

Shelia,

Jim and I both agree that just because we find ourselves in the autumn of our lives this is certainly no time to relax. We made a pact with one another to become work out partners a couple of years ago and we urge each other on in daily work outs to keep our selves in a healthy physical condition so we can approach "old" age in the best way we can. Sometimes it surely is not easy with all the little aches and pains that result but we tell ourselves it is worth it.

I definitely admire your enthusiasm and joy in seeking out new adventures and experiences. You are so right that we all still have a "lot of livin to do." We need to keep reminding each other of that!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Jennifer Johnston said...

And when may we expect your FOURTH visit, Shee-Ra??? We so love it when you are here.

Peter Max has a gallery at Caesar's Palace Forum Shops and we have had the pleasure of talking with him on a couple of occasions when he was "in-house". Hard to believe that it has been four decades since he first appeared on the art scene! "Wowie zowie" (in the parlance of the time)....

We could go hang out there, waiting for him to show .... Or is that what they call "stalking"?

Nope ... not ready to relax ... autumn always cranks it up for me!

Anyhoo, come back little Shee-Ra .... And keep up the comments. We love 'em!!!!