Announcing a new Facebook Group and a new Blog


We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog, Voices From the Class of '63,

Friday, October 26, 2007

Home .... and Heart ... and Old Friends ....

Robert Frost wrote in his poem "The Death of the Hired Man":

... what else but home?
It all depends on what you mean by home.
...
Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.

But, as the old idiom posits, home is also where the heart is. And the heart resides not only in the place where your head finds your pillow, where you are safe from rain and wind, where your family now surrounds you. Home is also held close in mind and memory, within our very souls ... memories of long-ago places, and well- or half-remembered faces, and friends and family and lovers long gone ... or perhaps just misplaced in the rush of life.

I recently traveled about a thousand miles (each way) over five days, from our present "home" in Las Vegas, through portions of southern Nevada, and Arizona, and New Mexico, and the Texas Panhandle, ultimately all the way to Childress, my "home" for sixteen years. I drove by my grandparents' house ... but Mamaw and Papa and Scott and Mother are of the past, though in my heart, and the house doesn't look the same, and it is no longer "home" to me, except to the extent that I am able to recall the love and life that once lived there. I drove by the "old" (our) high school (now the junior high school), and though the building looks very much like it did in 1963, it is not the "Home of the Bobcats" and of my youth that it once was to me. Yet "home" is in the faces of Raenell and Marilyn and Dana, and that welcomes and warms me.

I found my Childress "home" again, up the road in Amarillo, in Pat's bright greeting and hospitality, in the faces and eyes and the hugs exchanged with Nicki and Jim, and the conversation and reminiscences over coffee and bacon and eggs. So basic ... yet "home". And then I was in the "home" conjured by the music and lyrics of old familiar songs, scenes remembered and illuminated as I drove from Albuquerque on my return trip, watching the full, pale gold Hunter's Moon set in the last hour of darkness.

Now I am "home" again ... home as it is now, as Simon and Garfunkle sang, "home where my thoughts escaping ... where my love lies waiting, silently for me." In the "epitaph" for "Fiddler Jones" in Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology", Masters writes in Jones' voice:

The earth keeps some vibration going
There in your heart, and that is you.
...
I ended up ... with a thousand memories
And not a single regret.

Regrets are poisonous ... cherish the "gold" and toss the dross.

There, in my e-mail, another vibration of "home" ... in a story from my dear friend, Jim Spradley, Sr., Mike's dad. It is a memory of Jim's old friend, "Doc" McConnell, Johnny's dad, and how Childress became the McConnells' home. And now I share it with you, with my hope that you will come "home" again and join us here on the blog ... and that you treasure and cherish your "thousand memories", as I do mine.

Jennifer My Photo

Thanks to Mike for the picture below of Jim Sr. and his dog Champ.

Jim Sr. said:

After learning of Johnny McConnell`s demise recently, I thought of the following true story concerning his Dad. Then, out of the blue, #2 Son Mike asked me to relate it to anyone who might be interested, so for what it`s worth, this it.


This is the story, as told to me by Dr. J.P."Doc" McConnell, DDS, Lt. Cmdr. USN, Ret, of how he elected to reside and set up his dental practice in Childress, Texas.

Doc`s Naval service in World War 11 was carried out in the San Francisco area, probably at Alameda or Treasure Island, I'm not certain. He was discharged from the Navy, I believe in 1945, at San Francisco and was traveling by train, on his way home to Azle, Texas, located a short distance North from Ft. Worth.

He was on the old Ft. Worth & Denver passenger train, that went through Childress every night about midnight. It had stopped in Childress for about 30 minutes, for water and coal, and on the spur of the moment, Doc decided to get off the train and walk around downtown Childress, just to unlimber his legs. Remember, the train depot was located very close to the South end of downtown Childress. After a brief walk, he re-boarded the train and proceeded on his way to Ft. Worth. However, during the last leg of his trip, he thought more and more about Childress and decided that would be the ideal place to live and practice dentistry. With that decision made, even though he had only seen Childress in the dark, he proceeded to move to Childress, bought a house, and set up his office on Ave. E, just East from the Courthouse, which incidentally, was next door to our office (General Adjustment Bureau). That's where I first met him and we remained very good friends until he passed away. He called me "Jim" when we were around others, but always referred to me as "Chum" when we were alone. He and his wife Gladys, visited us quite often after we moved to Lubbock, which was also occasioned by Johnny and Jackie living only a short distance away. My wife Lornadee and Gladys became very close friends, having shared the same birth date, Dec. 20, and remained so until my wife's demise April 22, 1996. They were just one of the many couples, who made our 9 year stay in Childress, most enjoyable.
Jim Spradley, Sr.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fiddler Jones! My hero who knew how delicate life was and how it was to be treated. I pray that I can die with a thousand memories and not a single regret. Wish I could play the fiddle too!

Jim, it is so good to read another one of your stories. Thanks for sharing that. Maybe you will share more stories here on the blog?? We need them. Maybe send some pictures too?

Jennifer, thanks for letting us be a part of your trip. I can just smell bacon and eggs and hear the conversations. Has it really been 45 years?

Jennifer Johnston said...

Hi, Sheila. Love your comment .... "Spoon River Anthology" was definitely on both our minds last week, in our extensive e-mail exchange, which also touched on transcendentalism, Emerson, Thoreau, Whitman, Kant, Edgar Cayce and beyond ... and just how much we learned from, and were affected by, our "golden" teacher Darryl Morris, who introduced us to so many of these thoughts and works and made them accessible and interesting to us even throughout later years.

One of Darryl's oft-repeated "epitaphs" from "Spoon River Anthology" was that of "Petit the Poet":

"Life all around me here in the village:
Tragedy, comedy, valor and truth,
Courage, constancy, heroism, failure -
All in the loom, and oh what patterns!
...
Seeds in a dry pod, tick, tick, tick,
Tick, tick, tick, what little iambics.
While Homer and Whitman roared in the pines?"

If only the world was made of more teachers like Darryl ... I daresay there would be fewer of the growing problems with the level of education ... not to say the level of actual knowledge ... in this country.

I always enjoy Jim Sr.'s stories of Childress during the time when he was young and we were children. They represent the passing on of history of times before "our" time as adults. Like you, I am hopeful that he will share more of his memories with us. A few years ago, he told me a wonderful story about my parents, and a buffet dinner at the Spradleys ... and how it SO typified Childress (and much of America) at the time. If Jim reads this, I ask that he send me the story again for posting, since the copy I had saved crashed and burned with my late computer. And Jim, if you have a picture of yourself stored on your computer, we would like to see that as well.

There's a low (for the time being) but insistent rumble beginning that the Class of '63 should plan a reunion for our 45th next year ... maybe outside of Childress ... maybe even in Las Vegas ... or perhaps Dallas or San Antonio or even Wimberley. Nicki and I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has thoughts or suggestions on the subject.

Who knows? Maybe Darryl Morris could be our keynote speaker? Wouldn't that be FABULOUS??? I believe in aiming HIGH ... sometimes you even achieve the heights!!!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I read with great interest your blog narrative concerning your recent trip from Vegas to Childress and return. Of special interest was what you thought about what you saw around Childress, how you perceived and were affected by certain things while living there, then again how the same things affected you while viewing them, now that you are much older.

I`m so glad you and Sheila enjoyed the article I sent you about Doc McConnell. He was a character, to say the least, but a joy to be around.

The story I told you about Keith and Billie was typical of what could only have occurred in small towns like Childress during the '40s, '50s. and '60s. It`s a crying shame those times exist only in the past, and I doubt very seriously anyone will ever see such times again.

Let me see if I can recall all of our crowd, or at least the majority. They were C.B. & Mary Frances Gloar, Thurman & Virgina Gloar, Dave & Janelle (Gloar) Davidson, Wilbur Don Williams (he wasn't married then), Leo (Woody) & Faye Woodring, Lyman & Neysa Davenport, Keith and Billie Johnston, Joe & Grace Howard, Red & Yvonne Gentry, "Fat Eye" & Nelda Cordell, the Saieds...Alex & Mary, George & Pat ... Jerry & Jimmie Gay, sometimes Doc & Gladys McConnell, Pat & Della Jones, Billie & Bunny Taff, and Lornadee and yours truly. I think that about does it.

Our group always got together on Friday or Saturday nights, and most of the time, it was both nights. Most of the females (all members of the ExLibris Club) played bridge Sunday afternoon and the majority of the men played golf. Friday and Saturday nites consisted of either a dance at the Country Club (CC) or Elks Lodge. If no dance was scheduled at either place, we went to the CC and Lyman, Woody, Wilbur, George and I would putt on the putting green and play for more money than any one of us, except Wilbur, could afford. We also did the same thing on the golf course, and to say the least, your Grandfather Clarencie didn`t approve, but he always OK`d the checks we wrote, even if there wasn`t enough money in our accounts to cover them.

Now, back to the story concerning your Mother and Dad. We lived on Ave. J at the time I think, and there was dance scheduled at the CC on this particular Saturday night. We usually met at someone`s house, before starting on one of our escapades and that night was no different, except Lornadee had prepared a buffet and everyone was invited to partake of the food, before the serious imbibing started in earnest.

The majority of our group arrived between 7:30PM and 8:30PM, and by 9:00PM everyone had eaten, the last of the food was put away in the fridge, and we all left for the CC. Now please understand, we did not lock the front door; in fact, I don`t believe we even owned a key. Also, at the time I didn`t realize Keith & Billie had failed to show up, but guess I didn`t even think about it.

Later, at the CC, both of them had materialized and I found myself dancing with Billie. (I always made it a point to dance with all of the girls.) That`s when she told me that she and Keith had gone to our house, but no one was home, so they had just gone in, found the food and helped themselves. Billie said not to worry about the food being left out, because they had returned what was left back to the fridge when they finished eating. Again, I thought nothing of it, probably thinking that`s what I would have done, had the occasion been reversed.

Simply put, that`s just the way things were done back then, but definitely not in these times. So there you are. Just another tale about times in a small town, in the past.

When we moved from Childress to Lubbock in 1960, we made regular trips back to Childress, for various activities, such as dances, golf, bird hunting, you name it. Someone, Lyman, Jerry, Gladys, and others always had something they wanted us to come back to Childress for. I remember Pat Jones was wanting me to resign from GAB and open my own office in Childress. I knew that it wasn't feasible, but it flattered me that he asked me to to do it.

Those later times when we visited Childress, I didn't drive around and look at the various houses we had lived in, or anything else for that matter, I was too busy doing other things. In 1983 (after we had moved to Plano in 1976), I believe, Lornadee and I drove to Childress and spent Friday and Saturday night in a new motel, close to where Gay`s Cafe once was. Most of the old crowd was gone, George and Pat, Leo and Faye, Fat Eye was dead, Della was in a nursing home, Doc had sustained (I believe) a heart attack, Thurman and Virginia were in Calif, Lyman & Neysa were divorced, and so on. We drove around and saw the places we had lived and visited with the few that were left, but it simply was not the same. The main thing that impressed me was the size of things and the depressed state of downtown Childress. Things that I remembered being huge, had decreased in size that was almost unimaginable. At one time, we had lived on Ave. M, across the street from Jerry & Jimmie. Their house was new at the time and I thought it was huge-huge, but in my mind it had shrunk since, along with lots of other things I saw. I guess it`s true about the old adage, "you can never go home again."

Jennifer Johnston said...

Thanks so much for (re)telling this story, Jim. It always makes me smile. It was indeed a different time altogether, and it is truly marvelous to read about that time long ago, when our parents were so young.

I want to tell another story, which I love dearly, from that time. It was the fall of 1951, when I was five years old. Mother was on her first teaching assignment with the old Kirkland school system (K-12), and she had arranged for me to start the first grade early that year, so I was attending there as well, even though we lived in town.

It had been one of those terrible drought years that periodically visited the Panhandle, and money for the area farmers (many of whose children attended the Kirkland school) was very tight. The Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus was coming, an event that my Childress friends and I were anticipating with great glee. One day at school, Mother (who taught 5th and 6th grade - combined - then) asked her classes how many were going to the circus. Not a single hand went up. When Mother asked why, I believe it was Teddy Thomas who finally stammered out the explanation that there was no money for such things.

This tore at Mother's heart, and she went to the principal and convinced him to at least take the Kirkland school kids down to watch the circus set up and unload the animals, since they wouldn't be able to see the circus itself. The buses took us to the place just slightly east of the Childress City Limits, and all of the children were so excited, and oooohing and aaaahing, and Mother just couldn't stand the thought that these kids wouldn't get to actually SEE the circus.

So, in her nylons and heels, she scrambled up the bar ditch, stood at the side of the road with her thumb out and hitched a ride into town with a trucker who stopped for her. (You can't do that sort of thing anymore, either ... but I digress ....)

Mother went running into the First State Bank, where my grandfather was then (I believe) the Vice President. (Later he became President of the bank ... but again I digress ....)

She was covered in dirt and leaves, totally disheveled, and stopped at Papa's desk, announcing: "You've GOT to send those children to the circus!" Papa relied: "Well, durn. Didn't we already buy Jenny and Scotty tickets?" And Mother said: "No. Not them. The kids from Kirkland." "Well, durn," Papa said again, taking a slow breath and beginning mental calculations. "Well ... I guess there can't be more than 10 or 12 kids in your classes ...." Mother cut him off: "No. ALL the kids at Kirkland." "Well, D-U-R-N," Papa exhaled.

Nevertheless, my Papa, who could not refuse my Mother (his only child) anything, began to ponder. And he assembled the officers and directors of the First State Bank, and suggested that the bank should send the entire Kirkland student body to the circus. After a couple of comments that were probably stronger than "Well, durn," it was agreed that the First State Bank would pay half the cost, and my Papa would pay the other half out of his pocket. And it was done.

So, that is the story of how all the schoolkids in Kirkland went to the circus that year. Another time, existing now only in memory ....

Jim, I can assure you that Sheila and I are not the only ones who enjoy your stories. I hear from other people who do, but who for some reason have not yet ventured into blogland. But I thank you again for taking your time to pass along these anecdotes.

I also want you (and others) to know that I talked again Friday with Johnny Mac's widow, to let her know about your "Doc" story. She told me that their sons have read the blog and enjoyed hearing about their father's youth, and that she would be sure to tell them to look for the story about "Doc". I think that will be a treasure for them, and you were so kind to share that bit of family history.

Anonymous said...

I saw and read Dad's stories about Childress which turned out great….

Jenn…I believe that I must have inspired you psychically…just last week I was remembering the story about the circus tickets….I swear ……I was gonna ask you to tell that story………and sho’ nuff……..here tis today……….I love that story….

I really don’t care where we have a reunion…..Ada has never been to Vegas and wants to go……..I am game for anywhere……truly truly am…..

Sprad

Jennifer Johnston said...

But I AM psychic, Mike, as I have discovered over the years. I am NOT kidding. And I know for sure that I have intense psychic connections with at least a couple of people ... perhaps you are another ....